TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Picture to Vector
Read 92 times
* April 22, 2017, 07:45:22 AM
Is there anyway to bring a picture into TC and trace it and save the trace as a vector?

Thanks,
Doug

TC Pro Platinum V21.2

* April 22, 2017, 09:49:49 AM
Hmm,  the 32 bit version of TC had a trace tool at least up to v18 which is the last 32bit version I have, (maybe it still does), however it was never really accurate, IMSI do sell a program called Magic tracer but I've never tried it so no idea if it's good for Cad applications.

I have occasionally used Corel Draw's trace tool saved as WMF and brought it into TC, more accurate than TC's trace but still not brilliant as Corel converts to bezier's (no arcs), probably better to just grit ones teeth and manually trace.   

* April 22, 2017, 11:18:08 AM
Hmm,  the 32 bit version of TC had a trace tool at least up to v18 which is the last 32bit version I have, (maybe it still does), however it was never really accurate, IMSI do sell a program called Magic tracer but I've never tried it so no idea if it's good for Cad applications.

I have occasionally used Corel Draw's trace tool saved as WMF and brought it into TC, more accurate than TC's trace but still not brilliant as Corel converts to bezier's (no arcs), probably better to just grit ones teeth and manually trace.

It's still available in v2017 32-Bit, but I can't see that it has been improved. I agree that manual tracing is usually best.

Henry H

* April 22, 2017, 11:38:05 AM
Thanks Andy & Henry for the replies.

Henry the polyline arc segment, seems like IMSI could program for better control for the user.

Thanks,
Doug

* April 22, 2017, 12:47:56 PM
Thanks Andy & Henry for the replies.

Henry the polyline arc segment, seems like IMSI could program for better control for the user.

Thanks,
Doug

I agree. And I can think of at least one other feature that ought to be added to the Polyline tool: An easy way to assure that a Line segment that follows an Arc will be tangent to it. Suggested that years ago, but it was never acted upon.

Henry H

* April 22, 2017, 03:08:22 PM
I use the trace tool a bit, it's far from automatic but gives me usable results.  Zoom has the most influence and it varies considerably even when vectors are close in the picture, and because it's indiscriminate, there's always a lot of clean up, so it's very much personal choice whether the return on investment is warranted.  TC saves to .svg, scalable vector graphics, and it can't import them to view the result, but it can be viewed with open-source FreeCAD, Inkscape from memory, or in Firefox, although last time I did so scale was tricky and the drawing looked washed out, faint.

When I do trace manually, my preference is to use single line segments and rectify with MeetTwoLines, fillet with arcs/circles TangentToEntities. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 03:17:10 PM by murray dickinson »