TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

TC v15 crashing in Windows 10
Read 4062 times
* August 19, 2015, 03:31:11 AM
I have been using TC v15 running on Windows 7 for some years.  My system is a 32bit,  AMD Athlon II : 3GHz.  I downloaded and installed the Windows 10 upgrade this week.  Since then, TurboCAD v15 Pro has been crashing consistently.  The latest issue is when attempting to 'cut and paste' from one drawing to another.

When copying (CTL-C) the error message begins: The error occurred while file writing.  Probably file will be corrupt.  You should use 'Save As...' with another path to prevent the original file damage.  Please inform TurboCAD support group about this occurrence.  Are you ready to continue writing in spite of.  YES/NO.

Choose YES.  Change to target file.  Use CTRL-V to paste.  Get: The error occurred while file reading.  Probably file is corrupt.  Wish you continue reading in spite of everything?  YES/NO.

Choose YES.  Get: TurboCAD for Windows Application has stopped working.   A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program  and notify you if a solution is available.    CLOSE PROGRAM.  I am still waiting!!!      Program closes down.

Copy and paste is such a basic CAD activity.  I particularly need to produce composite .dxf files compiled from various source files and without it, I am completely unable to produce any further work.

Any one any suggestions?  I neither wish to obtain new hardware, or new software to simply run on Windows 10.

Keith.

* August 19, 2015, 07:02:07 AM
I encountered exactly the same problem last night. My machine, however, uses Windows XP and the fault lay in the object I was trying to copy-and-paste. The object itself was tainted somehow, and when I redrew it using a slightly different procedure the problem went away.

Henry H

August 19, 2015, 07:50:00 AM
If the problem is related to Win 10, then why not just uninstall and run with what works?
Both XP and Win 7 are just fine for running with TC v15.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Testing/using with Win 10 and various TurboCAD 64-bit versions.

* August 20, 2015, 01:18:02 AM
Tim.
Since my first report, I was also having problems saving a file after modifying it.  Error messages were saying the file(s) were corrupt and to use the 'Save as..' dialogue to save them.  Subsequently, the problem has diminished slightly, in that I am now able to cut and paste from some files, and once re-saved, can open the amended file afterwards.

Whether the problem was related to the installation of Windows 10, I know not, only that it occurred following the upgrade - perhaps coincidentally.  So far, I have had problems with three of my current working files.   We shall see if any more show problems over the next few weeks.

Keith

PS.  How do I a) remove Windows 10, b) produce a bootable disk for Windows 10?  So far I have not found any instructions on screen to do that.

* August 24, 2015, 07:18:48 AM
I have been using different versions of Turbocad for many years and this is the first time I have had a serious problem. I believe it is as a direct result of the introduction of Windows 10.  I now have access to my files but once I attempt to save work on any of them the system seems to accept them after displaying the warning message but then crashes and no new changes are added.
My current version is Deluxe 15 and as the company support team does not accept queries for anything that old has anyone found the solution to this dilemma?
Will upgrading solve the problem?
Has Microsoft been contacted?  I will try this route and report back...

* August 27, 2015, 06:55:05 PM
I have the same problem (TurboCAD Deluxe 15.2, Build 48.3).  I'm not a heavy user and just started getting back into doing some modeling with it about a month ago.  Was previously running Windows 7 Professional with no problems.  Updated to Win 10 and now it complains that:

- all files are probably corrupt on reading ("The error occured while file reading. Probably file is corrupt. Wish you continue reading in spite of everything?")

- If I select a block item (a light bulb, in this case), get another error ("The error occured while file writing. Probably file will be corrupt. You should use 'Save As...' with another path to prevent the original file damage.")

- I go the Save As route, I get the same error, followed by "Failed to save E:\.....\tmp0.TCW: Unknown error (Path: "./Styles/StyleCategories")"

Never saw any of these errors under Win 7 Pro.  Right now, TurboCAD is unusable in this condition.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

* August 29, 2015, 04:21:52 PM
Looks like not many people here use v15 deluxe - me included, don't know if anyone has sorted this yet, If not then one may have to make the decision soon on whether to stay with W10 or get rid of it and go back to previous windows version, one had 30 days from installing to decide, so for many people this time will approach soon, that said, afterwards one can always reinstall old windows version and all the programs (after backing up all the files).

Unfortunately even a 6 year old Microsoft program didn't work with windows 10 without a registry hack and an unofficial modified .dll, so its doubtful IMSI will produce any fixes for TC v15.

* September 10, 2015, 03:19:30 AM
Before abandoning Windows 10, I used the re-install/repair tool on the CD, with no improvement.  After being offered an upgrade to the latest version (TC20215) at a price greater than I could afford, I reverted to Windows 7.  I am happy to report that TurboCAD v15 is now running as it ought to.

Keith

* September 21, 2015, 03:15:59 PM
I rolled back to Windows 7 Professional as well.  I didn't mind Win10, but I can't justifying buying new apps because of the OS change when they worked just fine under Win7Pro.

* October 04, 2015, 08:21:07 AM
Since installing Windows 10, TC v14.2 crashes if any modification/creation involves text (like dimensions!). "Unhandling error" message appears and TC closes.
Also saving causes an error message "An error occurred while file writing. The file will probably be corrupt". The suggestion is to "Save as" but this does not help.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Bill

* October 04, 2015, 11:57:54 PM
Since installing Windows 10, TC v14.2 crashes if any modification/creation involves text (like dimensions!). "Unhandling error" message appears and TC closes.
Also saving causes an error message "An error occurred while file writing. The file will probably be corrupt".

I don't have v14 installed on Win10, so all I can think of is to try - navigate to the tcw14.exe file (probably, Program files (x86) - IMSI Design - TCW14 - Program folder) right click the tcw14.exe and select properties, select compatibility, click run as Admin (assuming you are the Admin on the computer), also select compatibility as Windows XP service pack 2 from the drop down list, or SP3,  you can also right click the shortcut for properties but I've found in the past doing it that way sometimes doesn't stick so I now always do it via the exe file.

To be honest I have my doubts whether that will work, though I have one old (non-TC) program that wouldn't run in Win 8.1, but works ok in Win10 with compatibility set to XP SP2.

You may have to think about just getting rid of Windows 10 and going back to pervious op system.

* January 30, 2016, 01:25:32 PM
I have TC v14 Pro.  It doesn't work in Windows 10.  I want IMSI to state that, to make it clear, so I have emailed them.  In the meantime I have installed a trial of TC 2015 Deluxe.  This gives corruption errors on files created in TC14, and messages about objects in previous versions not being compatible with TC 2015 DLx.  IMSI must publish a statement about what is going on!  It is not acceptable to use an upgrade and have these errors!

I also found that TC 2015 DLx will not display all the items in my old drawings (after accepting all the bad messages).  I had some 3D walls with 3D Subtraction and Addition which have been left out.  I had a 3D enclosure downloaded from the manufacturer also absent.  Again - unacceptable!

I did find, however, that saving the drawings from TC14 in AutoCAD '.dwg' format, and then opening these drawings in TC 2015 DLx DID WORK!  All the missing walls (and other things) were present, and I got no error messages either.

I can't guarantee this is a full solution, but so far it seems good, if tedious.

I think IMSI have a lot to answer for, for not sorting these issues out.  I trust they read this forum.

Also, the verification process/letters are far too difficult!

Best

D

* January 30, 2016, 01:47:01 PM
Deluxe dont have Acis Solid like Pro have, you say that you have subtracted and added in your original Pro drawing, so if they are solid they will not show in Deluxe and that is what the warnings is about

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* December 31, 2016, 01:18:40 PM
Just reviving an older topic as it directly relates to the problem I have just discovered when reinstalling my TurboCAD V15pro.

I retired some time ago, then had Turbocad professional V15. Have not done any CAD for some time but was asked to do a design for a friend, so dragged my install disk out and installed on my (new) windows10. (was previously installed on windows7).

Have had the same error messages on save as experienced by others above. Tried everything to solve it to no avail.

I installed a virtual drive using VMware and windows7, then installed TurbocadproV15 and ran it. No more save problems. Runs perfectly, so assume incompatibility with windows10 is the problem. I cant find any solution to the windows10 issue here on the forum so I will continue to use the virtual drive installation unless anyone has found a solution?

I assume that IMSI/Turbocad couldnt give a hoot about older versions from reading issues on the forum??? Nice...

* December 31, 2016, 03:57:13 PM
Win 10 wasn't a gleam in MS's eye when TC 15 was current.   Seems to me that the responsibility for imposing a new OS falls to the publisher of the new OS and the person who wants to impose, or you'd have a case for complaining that it doesn't work on Mac or Linux either.

* December 31, 2016, 09:54:08 PM
I had my issues with trying to get assistance when TC11 through 15 was current. Never got a response from the so-called help. Instead used google and my own/other's skills to sort out issues, or came up with work-arounds to sort out non-performance issues. My comment about them not giving a damn about older versions was therefore quite tongue in cheek as it seems they are still quite unresponsive to current version problems reading through the forum....  ::)

* January 01, 2017, 06:59:59 AM
Your vague historical grievances refer to a previous administration.   The current admin does autopush updates that address bugs, which is proactive.   It's nice to have a phone call answered or to get an email response, but the absence of a phone or email response isn't the same as the absence of development or debugging.   If you've got particular instances of "non-performance", supported with file and blow-by-blow to reproduce, then that's something a development team can do useful work with.  That's often hard to do, but 2016 even lets you save the undo stack, so even if the file size blows out, it's easier to nail down faults that do exist.  That's a worthwhile improvement too. 
Recent experience is that TC's development/debug team addresses things that are needed and explains them more usefully now than in the past.  There are even warranties.   You do seem aggrieved that the "so-called help" didn't jump to your assistance, but perhaps they felt that your issues could be addressed by training or experience?  Hard to say since you're not detailing anything.

* May 11, 2017, 07:28:58 AM
I realize this is a rather old topic, but maybe my my experience will help someone.
I started using TurboCAD 14 with WinXP and it worked fine. When I upgraded to Win7 (64 bit) TurboCAD 14 installed and ran just fine. I only recently upgraded again to Win10. I installed TurboCAD 14 and, lo and behold, it installed (apparently). However, I've experienced problems very similar to everyone else above. Particularly, when trying to open older cad files; it won't do it without corrupting them. Tried running Turbocad in WinXP and Win7 modes; no good. I should have, but didn't try creating a new file. Like William_NZ, I loaded virtual machine software (VirtualBox) and then installed WinXP in it and then loaded TC14 (I always liked XP best anyway). It works beautifully.

By the way, I did send an email to Tech Support about this and they replied, without elaboration, that TC14 is only compatible with XP and Win7. The first version to be compatible with Win10 is 2015. So, if you can't or don't want to revert back to XP or 7 OS and you don't want to pay for a TC upgrade, give some virtual machine software a try. VirtualBox is free. Not sure about VMware. They are generally pretty easy to set up. You might have to do a little reading to understand some of the finer points.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 07:34:54 AM by Bilyo »

May 11, 2017, 04:03:05 PM
By the way, I did send an email to Tech Support about this and they replied, without elaboration, that TC14 is only compatible with XP and Win7. The first version to be compatible with Win10 is 2015. So, if you can't or don't want to revert back to XP or 7 OS and you don't want to pay for a TC upgrade, give some virtual machine software a try. VirtualBox is free. Not sure about VMware. They are generally pretty easy to set up. You might have to do a little reading to understand some of the finer points.

A extra positive of using the virtual machine approach is that it protects your base machine from viruses because the virtual machine exists solely in RAM and that goes away with a shutdown or reboot .

You do have to have enough RAM to support this approach, however.  I'd expect an absolute minimum of 8 GB, with 16 GB a better choice.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* May 11, 2017, 05:52:00 PM
Jeff,
I must respectfully disagree regarding memory requirements. Undoubtedly, more memory is better. However, I'm using a laptop with only 4 gb and have not had any problems. Granted, my CAD projects are not usually large or complex. I say this only to recommend that no one should let memory limitations keep them from trying this approach. Usually, memory can be added if needed.