TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

New mode for Object Trim tool or new tool
Read 628 times
* April 20, 2017, 04:34:07 AM
I use TurboCAD at home it helps me with my hobby.
In general I design glider models, then prepare parts send the files for laser cut and at the end build up the model and enjoy RC flying.

The companies where I send my files... it looks like they do not use CAM software.
So, I need to prepare files by myself.

By preparing files I mean that I need to:
  • Make an proper offset
  • Make bridges - cut parts should not fall of from material

Now offset is not a problem but making bridges is a real pain.

I suggest to add new mode for Object Trim tool to trim by point.
It could work like this:
I select Object Trim tool, choose new mode, enter trim size e.g 2mm, activate recurrence, and click on work plane on some objects.
In the place that mouse was clicked let's keep this point as a center, tool break the line and remove some of it.
With that easy way I can create as many bridges as needed in few minutes.

It can be also a new tool. One requirement for that: Tool or option should be available in TurboCad Deluxe version.

Adding two photos, just to show how many elements are in those prepared files.
Doing it really takes much time.  ;)

Regards,
Tomasz

TurboCAD Deluxe v.21 Anniversary Edition
TurboCAD Deluxe 2015
TurboCAD Deluxe 2017

* April 21, 2017, 08:40:26 AM
That's an interesting idea. I did some experimenting after reading your post and found a number of ways to create bridges, but they were all rather cumbersome. "Object Trim" does seem like the least bad: Place a small circle on the object; enable Object Trim; click the circle; click inside the circle; delete the circle.

Henry H
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 09:18:01 AM by Henry Hubich »

* April 21, 2017, 09:40:06 AM
"Object Trim" does seem like the least bad: Place a small circle on the object; enable Object Trim; click the circle; click inside the circle; delete the circle.

Exactly 4 operations instead of one. Currently I use polygon 2mm width, height set to height of material. I move this over elements and do a series of trimming; zoom out; move polygon; zoom in; series of trimming...
This should be one click operation, I want to spend time on design and details not on the bridges  ;)

Regards,
Tomasz

TurboCAD Deluxe 2015
TurboCAD Deluxe 2017

* April 21, 2017, 02:17:41 PM
Have you tried the "Trim" tool? It supposedly works the same as the AutoCAD Trim tool. It might save you some steps.

John R.

V17V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* April 22, 2017, 01:12:33 AM
Have you tried the "Trim" tool? It supposedly works the same as the AutoCAD Trim tool. It might save you some steps.

Yes, I had tried that today. This is still not it. It's just another way t do it, but like the others its cumbersome.

Regards,
Tomasz

TurboCAD Deluxe 2015
TurboCAD Deluxe 2017

* April 22, 2017, 03:09:17 AM
mgr,  Can I please ask what the 'bridges' look like, I was assuming they were just 'gaps' created in a polyline, spline etc, so when produced the parts needed breaking away, like plastic injection moulding sometimes needs,  or are they more like a double-line joining every piece together.

I only ask for my own understanding of your wish,   whilst the trim tool is quite powerful for gaps (and would be my own personal choice of tool for doing multiple gaps), I'd still expect it to take at least 10 minutes to gap everything in one of your drawings above (assuming no groups/blocks and everything was on the same workplane).

* April 22, 2017, 04:57:29 AM
mgr, ...I was assuming they were just 'gaps' created in a polyline, spline etc, so when produced the parts needed breaking away...
You are correct. Adding picture with one element and markings.

Size of this bridge or 'gap' depends on material, for balsa wood I use 2mm. For plywood I usually use 1mm.
Number of those bridges depends on element size - they shouldn't also be anywhere.

Regards,
Tomasz

TurboCAD Deluxe 2015
TurboCAD Deluxe 2017

* April 22, 2017, 08:25:47 AM
Maybe this procedure would speed things a little, using the tools that are currently available...

1. Place all the objects to be "bridged" on their own layer, other objects on one or more hidden layers. (None of these layers should be Layer 0).

2. On Layer 0, draw a circle whose diameter equals the desired bridge width. Rubber-stamp copies wherever you need bridges.

3. Hide the layer containing the objects to be bridged and then activate the Trim tool.

4. Press Ctrl+A to select all of the circles, then click the "Finish Selection" flag on the Inspector Bar.

5. Restore the visiblilty of the objects to be bridged (gon't worry if they seem to be "selected" too), then click inside each of the circles to create the bridges.

Maybe there's a way to speed the process further by using the Macro Recorder; I don't know.

Henry H

* April 22, 2017, 09:29:09 AM
Pretty much the same as Henry's suggestion, but if the precise placements of the gaps is not important,  I'd use splines or polylines, draw spline / polyline and offset 2mm, activate trim tool,  select all the red splines at once (in the attached), click finish flag, then trim all 16 profiles between the splines by clicking everywhere a gap is wanted.

Note - this is not to detract from your wish list post, your wish list suggestions is certainly a good one, its just as an alternative until any wish is granted.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:42:57 AM by Andy H »

* April 22, 2017, 11:10:49 AM
Note - this is not to detract from your wish list post, your wish list suggestions is certainly a good one, its just as an alternative until any wish is granted.
Sure,
I'm not CAD expert, I'm still learning. I like to try different approaches.  :)

Maybe this procedure would speed things a little, using the tools that are currently available...

Maybe there's a way to speed the process further by using the Macro Recorder; I don't know.

Henry H
Now that sounds really good. I will try that with larger files, I'm currently almost at this point on my current project.

Is Macro Recoreder available in Deluxe version?

--
And one more thought if thinking about the new tool.
From the usage perspective:
Select Bridge tool, enter bridges size, enter number of bridges (or sets like in the other tools).
Click on object, bridges will be automatically applied.
If not in the right place - select Edit tool, and change location manually  ;)

Regards,
Tomasz

TurboCAD Deluxe 2015
TurboCAD Deluxe 2017

* April 22, 2017, 11:36:14 AM
Pretty sure that Macro Recorder is not available in Deluxe.

Henry H

* April 25, 2017, 07:36:01 PM
Until you get your tool, I suggest you think about ways to build your bridge into the drawing production.  It looks to me as if many of the members are copies or scale derivatives, I'd design the bridge into the thing they're derived from so that it doesn't have to be done for each as post-processing.

April 28, 2017, 12:44:38 AM
Probably this Bridge Maker in common case can look like:
- User selects the trimmer object (it could be any closed object as circle, ellipse or something else)
- Copy of this trimmer object follows cursor exactly in its center of extents (as in current Rubber Stamp)
- When user clicks on trimmed object by cursor, trimmer object will be "subtracted" from trimmed.
or last step could look as
- User clicks on position in the drawing and trimmer will be "subtracted" from all objects which placed under it.

This of course will do things faster. But how often tasks for such tool appear?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 01:26:27 AM by Igorun »

SoftDev, Saint-Petersburg.

* April 28, 2017, 09:03:29 AM
Probably this Bridge Maker in common case can look like:
- User selects the trimmer object (it could be any closed object as circle, ellipse or something else)
- Copy of this trimmer object follows cursor exactly in its center of extents (as in current Rubber Stamp)
- When user clicks on trimmed object by cursor, trimmer object will be "subtracted" from trimmed.
or last step could look as
- User clicks on position in the drawing and trimmer will be "subtracted" from all objects which placed under it.

Interesting, Igor. That's exactly how I thought such a tool should work.

If the concept were expanded to include 3D applications, and if the tool would respond to Snaps, I think it could be very useful.

Henry H
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:06:36 AM by Henry Hubich »

* April 28, 2017, 06:00:50 PM
But how often tasks for such tool appear?

I heard a presentation from one of the founders of SolidWorks, now involved with another new-ish CAD venture.  He made the observation that over time, new features tend to have narrower and narrower application and to be useful to fewer and fewer users.  New features are what justifies new versions, which serve as (purported) maintenance subscriptions, attract new users, and convince upgrades and cross-grades from other programs.     

This as quite a snappy (punishment intended) way to make bridges that aren't a definite size:   I assigned alt + c for Modify|Split and enabled apparent intersection as running snap with magnetic and nearest on graphic.  Hot key split the entity, alt + space for edit tool and drag the node away from the split to make the gap, repeat as needed.  The hot keys are close to each other so a little practice should eliminate hunt'n'peck, or assign hot keys that let you do that.   

* April 29, 2017, 11:27:57 PM

For me, every time when I finish new project.

Regards,
Tomasz

TurboCAD Deluxe 2015
TurboCAD Deluxe 2017

* May 08, 2017, 11:42:38 AM

Henry H
Now that sounds really good. I will try that with larger files, I'm currently almost at this point on my current project.

I've tried that approach, the idea is really great, but TC Deluxe does not handle it properly.
Every time I click on line that should be trimmed TC stops responding for few seconds, it's very annoying and make the overall process longer.

Regards,
Tomasz

TurboCAD Deluxe 2015
TurboCAD Deluxe 2017

* May 10, 2017, 09:28:45 PM
Pretty much the same as Henry's suggestion, but if the precise placements of the gaps is not important,  I'd use splines or polylines, draw spline / polyline and offset 2mm, activate trim tool,  select all the red splines at once (in the attached), click finish flag, then trim all 16 profiles between the splines by clicking everywhere a gap is wanted.

Hi Andy,
I tried your picture with the TurboCAD LTE "Trim" tool. It worked okay in a straight line, but it would be nicer if this tool had access to the "Fence" selector so a user could simulate a curve.
All I did was activate the Trim tool, then select the two cutting lines and "Finish selection". I then dragged a selection rectangle between the cutting lines. Everything in-between was removed.
short movie in YouTube: MGR multiple Trim.

John R.

V17V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit