TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

A New Desk, and My Health
Read 302 times
April 17, 2017, 02:37:13 AM
I have to say, what outstanding work has been posted here lately, truly. I see examples of our community taking TurboCAD to extremes of Design, Art and Rendering. Every program has its critics and its issues, but if all you looked at was the Gallery in this Forum, you would think that TCAD was capable of anything.
Now, partly to gain sympathy creds, and partly because I've been a member here for so many years, and haven't been posting too actively lately, and I respect all of you, I'm going to tell you about the Stroke I suffered Six Months ago. . . . yeah, let that sink in.
I was always one of those tough guys who didn't go to the Doctor until someone else had to drive me to the Emergency room. It had been 10 or 12 years since I had seen a Doc. What you don't know can't hurt you, right? HA, what you don't know can kill you.
Pretending you're Ironman can actually work 'til you're 50, if you're in shape, and I was . . . then the Crash of '08 hit, I lost work, sat at my computer, continued eating and drinking and smoking and ingesting whatever the latest cute young thing offered up, and gained 100# in 1-1/2 years.
I was an undiagnosed Diabetic, my Blood Pressure and Cholesterol were off the charts, and I smoked a pack a day . . .
Then on October 15th, last year, I woke up in the middle of the night, feeling weird, and I couldn't make a fist with my right hand. By morning, nothing on my right side worked.
Luckily for me, one of the top 10 rated hospitals in the United States, John Muir Medical Center, is 15 minutes from my house. That and Obamacare kept me out of a wheelchair. Now, I am not one to get political on this forum, I respect you all too much for that, but under the old system there was no way I could have afforded this care, and I got it with no questions asked. And if your American, your tax dollars helped pay for my care, and that's a wonderful thing and I thank you.
In way of repayment let me give you some hard learned wisdom;
After 45  years old, no matter how tough you are, start seeing a doctor every year, at least.
And follow their advice.
You know what's good for you, and what's bad, hell, your Mother told you when you were 12. Act on it. Quit Smoking. Sugared Sodas like Coke and Pepsi and sprite are KILLING YOU. Read the label, see the grams of sugar. And nice fatty ribs and chicken are awesome (drool) but not everyday, pace yourself.
If you, or someone you live with, thinks perhaps they might be having a stroke, ACT! Don't wait and see, Don't discuss it, and Don't drive to the Hospital or Doctor, call an Ambulance. They will begin treatment immediately upon arrival. Hell, the EMTs worked on me for 20 minutes before the Ambulance left my driveway.
The main reason for acting quickly, beyond, "my god I'm having a stroke, help", is that they now have a drug, that if administered within three hours of the onset or the stroke, completely reverses the effects, yes, no weeks in the hospital, no relearning how to walk, just a shot. But you got to get there quickly. I wasn't that lucky.
But I was lucky in another way, I had two acquaintances in the last five years suffer strokes. One, a male my age, denied he had a stroke and he couldn't move because of a pinched nerve, for nearly two weeks. When he was diagnosed he was pissed off (something I understand completely), irritated his Doctors and Therapists, and made no effort on his exercises. He still uses a walker five years later. The other, a woman a few years younger, talked of just taking one more step everyday, then walking to the corner, then crossing the street, and step after painful step. And five years later you can not tell she ever had a stroke. So, I had my role models to choose from.
Finally, and this important to remember if you or a loved is ever in this situation, my doctor was young an innovative, and had seen the results of a double blind study where small doses of Prozac "significantly enhanced" the return of motor response in stroke victims. Google "stroke and prozac".
How am I? I dodged a goddamn bullet. Imagine relearning to walk at 65, to feed yourself, reteach yourself to use a mouse with what had been your dominate hand? It is exhausting.
I put away the cane in mid January, started playing computer games in February, picked up the drum sticks in March (there's a lot of work to do there), opened up TurboCAD beginning of April, and last week my Doctor declared my diabetes under control and took me off insulin. Blood Pressure and Cholesterol are normal, so actually I'm doing great.
Finally, the only benefit of having a stroke is everybody backs off. You're lucky to be alive, just take it easy and recover. Relax and get well. Oh, and my Therapist says that using the Joystick in compyter games and using the mouse and keyboard in TurboCAD are in fact, good therapy. "Leave me alone, I'm recovering."
So, spending all this time on my comp, I've decided I'd like a different desk . . .

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:40:58 AM by McSlash »

RMc____
In preparing for battle, planning is essential, but plans are useless . . . Dwight David Eisenhower
v 19.2 Pro Platinum 64 bit
v 14.2 Pro
Turbo Floor Plan Pro v 15
Windows 10 x 64 Home

* April 17, 2017, 09:22:29 AM
Ouch.

Congratulations on your recovery.

I like the desk design.

Henry H

April 17, 2017, 02:22:25 PM
Congratulations on the continuing recovery.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* April 17, 2017, 03:58:58 PM
 Thanks for sharing,  A good lesson to be learnt by all from your experience. Great that you have recovered to the extent you have and all the best for the future.

Bob

Robert Burgess. Using Platinum 21 - Windows 7
Australia

April 18, 2017, 01:04:27 PM
Thanks for the sentiments.

RMc____
In preparing for battle, planning is essential, but plans are useless . . . Dwight David Eisenhower
v 14.2 Pro
Windows 10 x 64 Home

* April 18, 2017, 01:38:21 PM
Thanks for posting,  and all the best on you continued recovery.

* April 23, 2017, 09:19:15 AM
You have done well and your mindset is the correct one as you yourself have noted.  I hope your recovery continues and what you say about medical attention is also correct.  No need to be in the doctors for every sniffle but an annual check up can catch things before they become a massive problem.  As a paramedic working in ambulances and hospitals (A&E, Trauma, ITU and Operating theatres) have seen enough people who did not take care of themselves to not want to see any more.  there is a study that say's after 50 years of age, taking one half of an aspirin every day also helps, it was a standard for putting half an aspirin under the tonge of a person who is in the first minutes of a stroke to reduce the damage from a clot on the brain.

April 23, 2017, 10:29:23 AM
Thanks for your comments Mike, and absolute respect to you for your work as a Paramedic,  ;).
As you point out, and I learned, there are no 55 year old Ironmen, unfortunately.

RMc____
v 14.2 Pro
Windows 10 x 64 Home