TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

TC 2015 Pro - snaps in 3D problem
Read 571 times
* April 08, 2017, 05:47:51 PM
I create objects in 3D, then explode them to get 3D polygons (mostly triangles) that comprise the surface.  When I attempt to arrange the 3D triangles on a flat surface by using "assemble by 3 points", some of the points refuse to snap to vertices and intersections on that plane surface.  The vertices and intersections are formed by straight lines and rectangles, all constructed on the plane surface.  I have tried using the SEKE's as well as the snap icons on the toolbar.  I have noticed that if I hesitate when selecting vertices or intersections, I get a number of dashed lines radiating from points near the cursor.  sometimes there are so many of these, they obscure the point in question.  I tried to take a screen shot of these lines but they disappear when I click on the cursor icon on the toolbar.  the snaps worked just fine until a month or two ago.  I don't recall any updates to TC 2015 Pro during that time.  I have not re-installed the program in that time, either.  suggestions?

* April 08, 2017, 10:46:48 PM
Your "dashed lines" are likely to be extended ortho and/or projected intersection snaps enabled with show magnetic point.  I recommend using generic transformation in preference to assemble by 3 points (they work the same way.  Both are really 6 pts, align by 3 pairs), because where the assembly tool can only manipulate one object in one action, generic trans can move an assembly set, multiple objects at once.  It can also pick up objects to add to the set or put them down when aligned and then work on the remainder of the selection set, and it's available either from the context menu or can be assigned a SEKE or hot keys to invoke without having to look, although assembly x 3 pts can be hot keyed too.

* April 09, 2017, 07:44:22 AM
"When I attempt to arrange the 3D triangles on a flat surface by using "assemble by 3 points", some of the points refuse to snap to vertices and intersections on that plane surface."

I experimented with your procedure using a hemisphere as the original 3D object and noticed a couple of things (obvious after the fact) that may bear upon your problem...

For one, the Polylines that result (after exploding to a Surface and then exploding again to a collection of Polylines) are planar objects, not 3D. Many of these Polylines are quadrangles; and a triangle made of three straight segments of course can't be anything but planar.

Second observation is that these Polylines simply cannot be assembled on a flat surface without some gaps. This is no surprise either, since there is no way to map a sphere onto a plane without distortion.

If your original 3D object can be mapped onto a plane, the Unfold Face tool will do the job almost instantaneously.

Henry H
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:53:43 AM by Henry Hubich »

* April 09, 2017, 09:37:26 PM
I was reminded of the things we used to do to produce duct transition layouts and such in the days before TC got unbend and unfold, and even now if you're trying to lay out a compound surface reduced to polygons.  Some people used to use card model software like Pepakura, I moved on to a program called UltimateUnwrap3D, which is quite inexpensive but works really, really well.  I just had a search for interest's sake to see if there's anything new and found a program called dxf2papercraft on Source Forge, an open source project to do this task.  It doesn't have a graphic interface, it's command line only, I downloaded it and had a bash, and it works as advertised.  Puts glue tabs on the edges of facets, paper model fashion, and suppresses them if they overlap.  I don't know how many faces it can handle at once yet, more experimentation needed, but a useful string to add to the bow.  Any more than 10 or so faces to flatten manually, and I get real bored, real quick. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:46:42 PM by murray dickinson »

* May 01, 2017, 12:42:44 PM

If your original 3D object can be mapped onto a plane, the Unfold Face tool will do the job almost instantaneously.

Henry H

Henry,
I do not see an "Unfold Face" tool.  I am using TCPro2015.  Maybe this tool is available in TCplatinum?
Wayne

* May 01, 2017, 12:54:55 PM

Henry H

Henry,
I do not see an "Unfold Face" tool.  I am using TCPro2015.  Maybe this tool is available in TCplatinum?
Wayne

That may well be the case. Go to Tools>Workspace>Customize>Commands>All Commands and scroll down the list in the right-hand panel, looking for "Unfold Face." If you find it, click on it and drag the icon onto the toolbar of your choice. If it's not in the list, then it's not available in your installation.

Henry H