TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

chord height
Read 1082 times
* March 03, 2017, 03:15:39 PM
Hi,

please see below, can someone point me in the right direction for chord height and angle settings for STL files in TC.

thanks
Brett

FerrariDrafting.
Australia
V16 deluxe
v17 plat
v19 plat
V20 Plat
V21 Plat
TC2016 plat

March 04, 2017, 08:12:59 AM
This calculator is handy for Arcs and Angles. Just unzip it. Works on Windows 7 and Windows 98. Should work on Windows 8.
Might have to enlarge the app when it first starts in the vertical

* March 10, 2017, 01:16:05 PM
Thanks Cliff,

I'm trying to find where the base settings are for the export of stl files with the parameters shown.

Regards
Brett

FerrariDrafting.
Australia
V16 deluxe
v17 plat
v19 plat
V20 Plat
V21 Plat
TC2016 plat

March 10, 2017, 02:41:04 PM
The "base parameters" for STL export do not exist, as such.

The accuracy (and file size) can be controlled by adjusting the ACIS settings under the Options drop-down menu.  A slider setting of 100 is fairly detailed (the default is 50, which allows faster rendering).  If it is not enough for your needs, then click on 'Expert Faceter Parameters' and start playing with values.

Keep in mind that 3D Print Service Bureaus often have file size limits.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* March 10, 2017, 07:26:08 PM
Thanks Cliff,
I'm trying to find where the base settings are for the export of stl files with the parameters shown.

The problem you will have is that the settings may have to be altered depending on the size of the object,  in theory the best one may be surface tolerance, but its faulty on my machine with v2016 in that it gets over-ridden by any normal tolerance settings (which doesn't happen in v19)

With normal tolerance and edge length they would need to be calculated depending on the size of the object as you would get different results on a  8 mm cylinder than a 150mm cylinder. 

As Jeff says, have a play, instead of calculation, one could draw a circle the size of the object, draw a horizontal line 0.001 long (chord height) from a quadrant point heading towards the centre of the circle - angle would be 0 or 180 depending on which quadrant point, draw a vertical line and put it on the inside vertex of the first line, trim it to the circle to create a chord, read its length in selection properties, and use this for edge length,  - you could also get the angle for Normal tolerance from this chord (by measuring its angle in relation to the centre of the circle).

Which ever way things will only be approximate.