TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Save as PDF using SHX fonts
Read 396 times
* February 21, 2017, 10:00:01 AM
One of my main uses for TC is to open DXFs generated from our very old CAD system and save them as PDFs that have searchable text. However, the DXFs all use txt.shx. When I save as a PDF, the text basically has a line width of 1 pixel. This makes it difficult to read when viewing the PDF and it doesn't print nicely. After doing much research on the issue, I have gotten nowhere. The SHX fonts are a bit of a mystery to me. I don't want to convert all of the text to a TTF because this messes up alignment of lines of text (that used to be multi-line text but are now just single lines after conversion to DXF). It also changes the text width, which is undesirable as it messes up the drawing formatting.

Anyone have a good solution for this?

* February 21, 2017, 10:32:47 AM
One possibility: Explode all the text until it's a bunch of Polylines (I think two explosions will do it), then change the Line Width to whatever you like.

Henry H

* February 21, 2017, 10:47:06 AM
Thanks Henry, but then I will lose my searchable text.

* February 21, 2017, 12:55:23 PM
Thanks Henry, but then I will lose my searchable text.

Well, maybe you could create a new Layer; select all the text; click the Copy in Place icon; put the copies on that new Layer and turn off its visiblilty; then proceed as in my first post. To search text, make the new Layer visible and go ahead and search. Maybe.

Henry H

* February 21, 2017, 03:37:58 PM
I've tried that, or variations of it. It doesn't work out very nicely.

* February 22, 2017, 03:55:38 AM
For 2D work >
Try saving as eps format.
Select a viewport and save as selection to eps.
or you could explode the viewport.
You can also save from Modelspace.
Acrobat reads eps.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:05:53 AM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2016-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21(Best working version,IMHO) Using Lightworks for reliability/stability and testing redsdk, Anilab lab 5, Renditioner Pro V3. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* February 22, 2017, 02:17:53 PM
PDF readers don't read EPS unfortunately. GSview didn't like the EPS that TC created... I ended up changing all the text to a true type font. I cycled through every single font available in the list to find the one that was closest in character spacing to txt.shx. I used Gungsuh in case anyone's curious. It wasn't bang on, but didn't cause too much destruction of my drawing. I'm not a big fan of the font itself, it is a serif font, but at least I have part of a solution for now. I can search for different TT fonts later that are more similar to the SHX fonts.

* May 17, 2017, 07:49:39 AM
My final solution to this problem was to download a free TTF version of txt.shx and then I used a font editor to scale it to match the one in TurboCAD as well as thickening the lines. I think I got it pretty close with this one.

* May 17, 2017, 09:35:46 AM
You said save as PDF.  Have you tried printing from Paper Space to a virtual PDF printer? There are various free ones around - my favourite is PrimoPDF; download it from www.primopdf.com

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5