TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

3D Knurl Tutorial Video
Read 1872 times
February 18, 2017, 01:32:31 PM
I created a video to show one way to create 3D modeled knurling. Looks okay but I am not sure it is accurate. It seems to sit like a drop shadow does but still not too bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhwuy_gQKI0&t=3s

I did two 3D prints, one the actual size of the red rendered one and one 300% of the same one.

* February 18, 2017, 08:39:48 PM
Nice work as always Don, thanks for sharing the video.

Daz

Thanks Daz
TCW V21, 2016 & 2017 PP, Animation Lab V5, Graficalc, TCMap, TurboPDF V2-V3 & Lightworks mostly
Windows 10 Home ed. i7 @ 3400Ghz, 16GB, Nvidia 960GTX 4GB ram, 2TB HD, 500GB SSD & 128GB SSD

Good better best
Never let it rest
Until your good is better
And your better is best

April 23, 2018, 11:33:46 AM
Hello,

I hope this post gets seen :) on this old post???
Anyho, so i have followed the video on making a 3D knurl but I am still having issues ??? And I cannot get my head around what is wrong?? I don't know if its just a deluxe thing or what (Probably user error :) )
But please can someone help with this.....
So I made all the necessary rail sweeps and added them together and the mirror copied them as per the vid.
But however when i come to actually subtract them from the main body I get issues :(
See from the Pics attached what i mean.
Capture 2 shows the knurl in wireform
Capture 3 shows the knurl in Draft
Capture 1 is what happens when I 3D subtract.........  >:(
I have also included the TC file if someone can look at it and tell me WHY???

"Was" Using Plat Pro 2018
Windows 10 - 64-bit
Nvidia K620

April 23, 2018, 11:40:18 AM
Forgot to add the actual file :)  But as i try I notice the file is Huge!!!!
111,967KB

James :)
And I am using Deluxe 2017 :)

Windows 10 - 64-bit
Nvidia K620

* April 24, 2018, 03:08:26 PM
Another approach, which probably results in a smaller file, is to create a single pyramid, format it as a Block, and place copies all over the cylindrical surface. Chamfers can be made from a modification of the original pyramid, also formatted as a Block, and radial-copied along the edges of the cylinder. Attached screenshot was made in 2017 Deluxe; file size is 427 KB.

Henry H

April 25, 2018, 11:46:33 AM
Another approach, which probably results in a smaller file, is to create a single pyramid, format it as a Block, and place copies all over the cylindrical surface. Chamfers can be made from a modification of the original pyramid, also formatted as a Block, and radial-copied along the edges of the cylinder. Attached screenshot was made in 2017 Deluxe; file size is 427 KB.

Thank you Henry I never thought of doing that :) I like it

Windows 10 - 64-bit
Nvidia K620

* May 13, 2018, 09:50:54 AM
Hello,

I hope this post gets seen :) on this old post???
Anyho, so i have followed the video on making a 3D knurl but I am still having issues ??? And I cannot get my head around what is wrong?? I don't know if its just a deluxe thing or what (Probably user error :) )
But please can someone help with this.....
So I made all the necessary rail sweeps and added them together and the mirror copied them as per the vid.
But however when i come to actually subtract them from the main body I get issues :(
See from the Pics attached what i mean.
Capture 2 shows the knurl in wireform
Capture 3 shows the knurl in Draft
Capture 1 is what happens when I 3D subtract.........  >:(
I have also included the TC file if someone can look at it and tell me WHY???

James, better late than never, eh  ;D

With Deluxe you always need to make sure that you have created a good working Solid/surface “Base” object before doing any Boolean subtractions on it.
I created the knurled object using a method “similar” to Don’s by using the helix.
Platinum creates ACIS solids. In Deluxe, sometimes you need to do a few extra steps in order to create a solid/surface object that won’t give you any problems/errors after doing a Boolean subtraction.
If your file is too large to post maybe you could post your “Base” object or the profile that you used to create it and any other objects used in the Boolean subtract as separate drawing files.
As long as all the objects coordinates in the drawings maintain their original coordinates “insert file” works great.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100