TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Newly created layers get turned on in ALL previously created viewports
Read 597 times
* February 11, 2017, 01:25:50 PM
Just upgraded to TC 2016 Pro and I'm having a problem I've never had before.  My workflow is as follows:

1. Create view in model space.
2. Insert viewport in paper space.
3. Set viewport to Override Layers Visibility
4. Manually select layers to display.

What is happening now is that every time I create a new layer in model space, that layer is turned on in every viewport that has been created on every page.  I have to go back to every single viewport and turn off the newly created layer or layers.  On a large set of drawings with a LOT of viewports this is obviously a major issue.  I am not using layer sets.

Hopefully something changed in 2016 and there is a setting I am unaware of to prevent this behavior.

* February 11, 2017, 04:02:41 PM
Can't offer an answer, just confirming what you have found, something changed in v2016 (its ok in v2015).

If no one comes up with a solution, I'd suggest sending an E-mail to IMSI support.

February 16, 2017, 02:32:10 AM
It used to not do that, but it was annoying.  I, for one, re-arrange Layers often and create new Layers, so this current operational mode is an advantage for me... usually.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* February 16, 2017, 09:49:07 AM
Jeff, I understand how this might be useful if you have several viewports that are all showing the same drawing elements such as different views of the same elements.  However, when creating a full set of construction documents with 40 to 150 pages and 75 to 300 viewports this is a MAJOR problem.  As is very customary when producing architectural and engineering document sets, whether using Turbocad, AutoCAD, or some other software, individual pages with sometimes multiple viewports are created showing ONLY what is intended to be displayed in that viewport (i.e. individual structural elements of a section view, etc.).  As changes and additions inevitably happen, modifications to elements in existing layers and addition of new layers and elements occur.  With the current behavior of V2016, every time a new layer is created in a file with an already large number of viewports, every viewport in the drawing is affected resulting in things being displayed that were not originally intended to be displayed.  This ends up requiring LARGE amounts of time to fix. This might not be much of an issue if you're only drawing in 2d and spread out across model space.  It's a major issue however, when 3D modeling and all of the drawing elements are grouped together in a small area in model space.  In this circumstance, a large number of created views will be capable of seeing everything on every layer if that layer is turned on.

* February 16, 2017, 10:44:04 AM
Just upgraded to TC 2016 Pro and I'm having a problem I've never had before.  My workflow is as follows:

1. Create view in model space.
2. Insert viewport in paper space.
3. Set viewport to Override Layers Visibility
4. Manually select layers to display.

What is happening now is that every time I create a new layer in model space, that layer is turned on in every viewport that has been created on every page.  I have to go back to every single viewport and turn off the newly created layer or layers.  On a large set of drawings with a LOT of viewports this is obviously a major issue.  I am not using layer sets.

Hopefully something changed in 2016 and there is a setting I am unaware of to prevent this behavior.

Have you tried working with "override layer visibility" off.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2016-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21(Best working version,IMHO) Using Lightworks for reliability/stability and testing redsdk, Anilab lab 5, Renditioner Pro V3. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* February 16, 2017, 11:28:53 AM

Have you tried working with "override layer visibility" off.
[/quote]

That just makes it worse.  With "override layers visibility" tuned off, layer display in viewports will now be controlled by the main layer menu AND the original viewport layer settings AND every new layer is still being turned on.  Because of this, every time you finish working in model space and changing layers visibility, you will now have manage the main layer menu, AND the viewport layers menu in order to select the proper layers to display in each viewport.  Worse, you will have to do this every time you want to print a page (that is of course, unless you never change your layer display setting again).

* February 16, 2017, 05:08:05 PM
I use Layer Sets.  When I was more active in designing and creating architectural construction plans*, I don't know how I would have gotten by without using Layer Sets-- in Modelspace, as well as in Paperspace Viewports.

I "pile" almost everything on top of each other in Modelspace (objects on multiple Layers, utilizing Layer Sets).  I create Layer Sets which correspond to what I want to have show in the eventual Viewport in Paperspace.  For a simple single-story new-construction house plan I might have Layer Sets named:
   Site Plan
   Foundation Plan
   Floorplan
   Framing
   Roof Plan
   Electrical
   Plumbing
(all the above drawn in Modelspace right on top of each other in numerous Layers)
   Elevations
   Sectionals
(these are usually drawn in Modelspace below and/or to-the-side-of the above)

Of course, while creating in Modelspace, I oftentimes have to activate the "All Layers" Layer Set, so I have something to reference and snap to (e.g.:  Snap foundation footings to exterior Walls).

Viewports with Layer Sets selected (and "Override Layer Visibility" ticked-- that was a nice added feature) automatically update with Layer Set changes.  Add a Layer?... just add it to the appropriate Layer Set(s).

I'm sure you already know all this.  It's a workaround, I guess, for what you are reporting as an issue in version-2016.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* April 21, 2017, 10:50:10 AM
Can anyone report if this is going to be fixed?  The layer set workaround does work but there are often times when the only thing I want to show in a viewport is a single layer.  In order to not have any problems later, I have to create a layer set for a single layer.  The amount of layer sets I have now is so large that it is getting very cumbersome an time consuming to do anything.

* April 21, 2017, 12:44:00 PM
Can anyone report if this is going to be fixed? 

Still the same in V2017 so I'd say No, its not being fixed,   did you report it to IMSI as a bug ?

* April 21, 2017, 01:18:01 PM
Can anyone report if this is going to be fixed? 

Still the same in V2017 so I'd say No, its not being fixed,   did you report it to IMSI as a bug ?

Yes. February 13th.

* April 21, 2017, 02:18:41 PM
Yes. February 13th.

OK, I just send an E-mail to support stating the problem still occurs in v2017, I'll post back if there is a reply.

* April 21, 2017, 09:48:47 PM

OK, I just send an E-mail to support stating the problem still occurs in v2017, I'll post back if there is a reply.

Thanks.

* April 23, 2017, 01:33:49 AM
I understand that a lot of people were unhappy with the old behavior . sometimes I want a layer to be added to all the view ports sometimes I don't. It probably would have been better if there was a check box when you create a layer where you can make the appropriate choice.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks