TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

TurboCAD for Windows 3.0
Read 2044 times
* February 08, 2017, 06:37:42 PM
I've been trying to find a comprehensive version history of TurboCAD, but I haven't found anything good. Just releases with years and so on.

Currently, I'd like to know more about the first Windows versions.

I found very little information about "TurboCAD for Windows 3.0", of which I believe is the very first version of TurboCAD for Windows.

I found some pictures here:

http://picclick.ca/Vintage-Turbocad-Designer-Floppy-Discs-Imsi-222324287261.html

It seemed that not all 5.25" floppies weren't there, and I found a different picture having all six disks from here:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/AuIAAOSw4shYA5QP/s-l1600.jpg

But, the version number shown on the two lower disks is "3.0". But how? Wasn't version 3.0 released around 1995, and only on 3.5" floppies or CD-ROM?

My other concern is that when TurboCAD began to support *.DWG-file format? Was it there even on the first Windows version? I read somewhere that it was included in version 3.0, but was implemented in version 4.0.

Sorry, if this sounds a bit confusing, but I want to put these pieces together. I wish that someone could write a good version history someday on TurboCAD.

Thanks.

* February 08, 2017, 07:20:23 PM
Don't know about v3, but I still have the version 2.0 materials. Program files came on a set of 3.5" floppies. Manual copyright date is 1994. It says the program can open file formats TCW, INT, DXF, PLT, TCD, & DAT. It can save in TCW, INT, DXF, TCD, & DAT formats.

Henry H

* February 08, 2017, 07:40:31 PM
All I remember was that TurboCAD V1 came on a 3.5" floppy and I was hooked from then on. There is some history on TurboCAD in Wikipedia. There was some history posted by Bob Mayer (owner) on one of their Facebook sites, but I don't know if it's still available.

The Version 2 CD, with access to everything, cost $$$. It would open/save DXF, but not DWG.

Version 4 will open/save DXF, DWF and DWG. I don't have Version 3 installed.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* March 03, 2017, 04:11:49 AM
Thanks for information. I found the article on Wikipedia, but it had only a limited amount of information.

Version 4 will open/save DXF, DWF and DWG. I don't have Version 3 installed.

Was version 4.0 still compatible with Windows 3.x, or did IMSI completely made it for Windows 9x / NT?

* March 03, 2017, 12:27:26 PM
I'm not sure if TurboCAD Version 4 was compatible with Windows 3.1. Well, after looking in the V4 Reference Manual under "System Requirements", it says…

System Requirements
TurboCAD V4 Professional and TurboCAD V4 minimum requirements:

• 486 DX2/66 or better CPU
  • 16 MB RAM (32 MB recommended)
  • 30 MB of free hard disk space
  • VGA graphics card or better
  • CD-ROM drive
  • Windows 95 or Windows NT 4
  • Mouse (IntelliMouse supported)
  • Internet connection recommended
So I guess it wasn't compatible to Windows 3.x.
There was a problem with Version 4, that was created by Microsoft. Microsoft updated "MFC42.dll", but it was not backwards compatible. It rendered Version 4 and 5 (which had been recently released) useless. It took a month or so before someone came up with placing an 'old' copy of this DLL in TurboCAD's "Program" folder.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit