TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

What's wrong with the workplane?
Read 1214 times
* January 23, 2017, 04:15:40 AM
I drew a 50mm cube, rotated it 45° about the Y-axis, drew a diagonal, and then defined a workplane by Z-axis on the mid-point of the diagonal. It seemed to work. I then did a view by workplane and drew a 50mm square on the workplane. That seemed to work too. I then needed to align an edge of the square with a face of the cube, so I drew a construction line on the edge the required face (which looked like a side of a hexagon). This seemed to work. I then drew a line on that construction line and tried to measure the angle between the new line and a side of the square. That's when it became apparent that something was very wrong.
Any ideas?
I've attached the file.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:24:58 AM by lemel_man »

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* January 23, 2017, 08:08:13 AM
The red square does not lie on the WP whose Z axis is the diagonal of the cube. To demonstrate, go to Workplane by Entity, designating the square as the "entity," then go to View by Workplane.

Rather than drawing a diagonal line and starting a new Z axis at its midpoint, an easier and safer approach is to designate two diagonally opposite corners of the cube to define the axis. This new WP won't pass through the center of the cube, but any complications this might create are easily resolved.

Henry H

* January 24, 2017, 12:42:59 AM
The red square does not lie on the WP whose Z axis is the diagonal of the cube.
Yes Henry, that was why I posted.
I defined the workplane, drew something on it, and it ends up not being on the workplane.
The construction line appears to be on the workplane but the other things are clearly not. But I don't see why.
What's special about this workplane? Did I do something wrong when it was defined, or is there a bug? I don't know.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* January 24, 2017, 08:16:33 AM
The red square does not lie on the WP whose Z axis is the diagonal of the cube.
Yes Henry, that was why I posted.
I defined the workplane, drew something on it, and it ends up not being on the workplane.
The construction line appears to be on the workplane but the other things are clearly not. But I don't see why.
What's special about this workplane? Did I do something wrong when it was defined, or is there a bug? I don't know.

Don't know why the red square isn't on the WP. In your drawing, I went to Plan View by WP and drew a square. its sides are aligned with the WP X & Y axes, as they should be and as the red square's sides are not. Selecting the red square and applying Place on Workplane puts it where it's supposed to be.

Henry H