TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Increasing file size.
Read 1136 times
* December 19, 2016, 05:26:13 AM
Why does a TurboCAD file increase remarkably in file size when re-saved as a .dxf file?  I often produce artwork for etching, which is emailed to my etching company as .dxf files.   Since I upgraded my machine to Windows 10 (bad move) I find the file size is increasing alarmingly.  Sometimes it is tripling in number of bytes.  One file for an etched sheet measuring 200mm by 130mm came out as over 20Mb, which overloads the recipients mailbox. 

In fact, I have noticed a tremendous increase in file size even in basic .tcw files since migrating to Win10, but this problem of tripling in .dxf files is causing no end of problems.  I would send a sample file, but even a small file is over 2Mb, when the original .tcw file is

I am now using TCW Deluxe 20.2.  Previously, I had TurboCAD 15 Pro, with no problems.  The latter will not work on Windows 10 unfortunately even with the compatability set for Win7.

Keith.

* December 19, 2016, 01:58:49 PM
Earlier versions of TurboCAD had "Compression" turned on by default when saving as TCW. Around Version 20, they turned Compression off. Click on the "Setup" button in the "Save As" dialog to see what your TCW settings are. Do the same for saving to DXF. There may be some setting that is changing the drawing to a larger size.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* December 20, 2016, 06:39:00 AM
I turned on the compression setting as you suggested John.  That reduced the file size to only (!) 9.7meg.  When I then saved the compressed file as a .dxf file, it made the situation worse.  The newly saved file came out at over 66megabytes.

Switching off the setting for 'full precision'  (what does this mean?) reduced the TCW file to 4mb, but when I re-saved the file to a .dwg file, it increased to over 19mB.

The question is, why is TC20 creating such large files anyway, and why is it increasing the file size so much when re-saved as a .dxf or .dwg file?

Keith

* December 20, 2016, 09:29:10 AM
re: …Switching off the setting for 'full precision'  (what does this mean?) reduced the TCW file to 4MB…

Full Precision: TurboCAD stores your objects with the maximum
possible accuracy. Full Precision enables the maximum depth of
mathematical calculations performed to generate and save
entities. When disabled, entities will be calculated and saved
using only to four decimal points of precision. This results in
faster execution and smaller files, but may compromise accuracy.

I believe there were complaints in the past about DXF/DWG files growing to huge sizes, but not sure what the outcome was.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:06:59 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled, except in 2018
Windows 10, 64-bit

* May 25, 2018, 11:35:36 AM
I wanted to post to let y'all know how important these forums are.  I know this is an old topic, but this just goes to show that they're helpful.  I had this issue & now I'm back in business. 

My file was over 125mb!  Saved it again compressed without precision & it's like 12 mb now.  Beautiful!