TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Ordinate Dimensions
Read 346 times
* October 28, 2016, 07:36:27 AM
All,
Is there any way to resemble Ordinate dimensions of parts? The Baseline just doesn't quite work the best for mechanical drawings.
I have attached a JPG of an example, (done in another CAD program), You can see the dims I am referring to along both sides and the across the top. You set your origin and dim to the leading edges or hole centers, or ..... (this CAD program does all text positioning automatically, also meaning that if I missed a dim in the middle, it would shift all text spaces accordingly and place the new dim in the middle of all the others. Unlike Baseline in Turbocad, as it moves the new dim to the end.)
Even using the Datum dimensions, the leaders end up crossing each other depending on where you are dimensioning to.

Any ideas???

Thanks,
Keith

Turbocad 21 PRO
Win 10 PRO
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 08:06:19 AM by ch701builder »

* July 12, 2017, 02:38:01 PM
Using TC Pro 21.2, I was able to make a drawing using baseline dimensions.  I am not sure what to do, however, when I have features that are being dimensioned that are right next to one another.  In the attached example, the features are so close that the dimension text overlaps.

In the attached file, is there anyway to shift one of the dimensions over so that it does not overlap the other dimension?

Thanks!

* July 12, 2017, 03:49:50 PM
Using TC Pro 21.2, I was able to make a drawing using baseline dimensions.  I am not sure what to do, however, when I have features that are being dimensioned that are right next to one another.  In the attached example, the features are so close that the dimension text overlaps.

In the attached file, is there anyway to shift one of the dimensions over so that it does not overlap the other dimension?

Thanks!

I used the Edit Tool and selected the middle node and moved it down a quarter of an inch. This caused the text to move away from the other text and the dimension line to move with it.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* July 12, 2017, 04:02:38 PM

Thanks!

One way: In the "Format" page of the Dimension Properties dialog, enable "Move Text, No Leader." If this is applied to an existing dimension, you can then select it with the Edit tool and relocate the text as desired.

Henry H

* July 13, 2017, 08:48:45 AM
After attempting the methods described above, I discovered a couple more work-around methods for repositioning ordinate dimension text.

Work-around 1:
Place all ordinate dimensions using the normal "Incremental" dimension tool.  For any dimension text that needs to be modified, explode it, reposition the text as needed, and then re-draw or modify the dimension line as needed to get it to look right.

Work-around 2:
Use the "Datum" dimension tool.  Unfortunately, this tool appears to have a bug whereby the extension line "offset" is always zero no matter what the "offset" is set to in the Properties dialog box.

These problems show up in TC Pro Platinum 21.2. Not sure if they are fixed in future releases.