TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Differences between selecting World Co-Ordinate systems
Read 530 times
October 08, 2016, 01:16:26 PM
I have been taught since my incept into TC., that there is a shorcut to adopting the World Co-Ordinate system. That is you should use  "Alt-Shift-W" and yet I read in the shortcut list that to elect for World Co-Ordinates one should utilise "Control U".

So: Which is best? Are the two methods the same ultimate action? Which if similar is the best of the two action options?

In case of Version options I am using Turbocad 20 Deluxe.

Chris S

Chris S
Architectural Practise: Chris Spreckley & Associates.Ex: S. Spreckley & Company Ltd.
Trained at:          The Manchester School of Building
Semi retired but Cross my palm .. and I'm in work.
Easel draughtsman, acting for corp clients; BBC;NCC;GCM;SWF;StdLifeAss., ScottishWidowsAss; BoEng etc

* October 08, 2016, 03:07:07 PM
Chris, Ctrl+U simply hides or displays the little icon (located at the bottom of the screen by default) that shows the World coordinate axes. It does not change the currently active coordinate system.

Henry H

* October 08, 2016, 04:42:14 PM
Also keep in mind Chris:  TurboCAD's User Interface-- "Workspace" (User Interface) -- is extremely customizable.  All the Commands-- via Toolbars, Menus, etc.-- can be in various and duplicate locations, as created/altered by you-- the User, and/or provided by or started upon one supplied with the program installation.  Same with the Keyboard Shortcuts-- for most Commands, we can create whatever key or key-combination shortcut we want to invoke a Command.

So, depending upon what "Configuration" (Workspace configuration file) one is using, the Keyboard Shortcuts could quite possibly be different than those of others giving direction/advice.  That's why I don't like to advise via the Internet to invoke a command by using a Keyboard Shortcut, nor telling someone via the Internet where a Command is; those are "Workspace configuration" dependent.  I prefer-- when giving direction/advice on these Forums-- to tell someone to invoke a specific command, and let them figure out how/where to invoke/find that command in their own particular Workspace (User Interface) configuration.

In my version-20-ProPlatinum, I have created my own custom Workspace, based upon the Workspace configuration I had built in previous versions, then modified.  For me, when using that particular Workspace configuration (we can switch at will), "Alt+Shift+W" invokes the "Place on Workplane" command, the same as when I load-- am using-- the "Default" Workspace configuration.

________
To make the current Workplane (Coordinate System [not "Co-Ordinate" system] ) the World Workplane-- which is what we want when we are working in 2D only-- you want the command "Workplane by World", which can be invoked a number of ways (via a number of locations-- Menus, Toolbars, Palette), those locations being dependent upon which Workspace configuration file you currently have loaded.  There is a good chance-- if using one of the installation-provided Workspace configurations-- the Keyboard Shortcut for "Workplane by World" in the Workspace configuration you are currently using is "Ctrl+Alt+W".

-Alvin
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 04:54:30 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

October 08, 2016, 11:27:45 PM
Dear Henry & Alvin,

Thank you both for putting me right on the correct use of the World measurement system and layout of TC., when committed to 2D drawing.

As is said.............."Got it". Wonder what is in store for me when I finally migrate to 3D?

Cheers,
Chris S

Chris S
Architectural Practise: Chris Spreckley & Associates.Ex: S. Spreckley & Company Ltd.
Trained at:          The Manchester School of Building
Semi retired but Cross my palm .. and I'm in work.
Easel draughtsman, acting for corp clients; BBC;NCC;GCM;SWF;StdLifeAss., ScottishWidowsAss; BoEng etc