TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

STL to TCW
Read 602 times
* October 04, 2016, 03:39:25 AM
I made an error in saving out a component in STL for 3d printing but did not save in TCW format - is the any way to convert from STL to TCW

Any help appreciated

* October 04, 2016, 07:00:41 AM
Many TCad versions can open .STL files directly. If your version cannot, then post your .STL and tell us which TCad version you're using, and someone will convert it for you.

Henry H

October 06, 2016, 12:50:03 AM
The following assumes you want a smooth object in TurboCAD format.

If you are working with Pro or Platinum, then you can try converting it to a Solid.  That has worked... okay... for me on the few occasions I have tried it.

Alternatively, and depending on the complexity, of course, you can use the Snap functions to make high resolution 2D traces, then Extrude them.

For instance, the attached object was provided as an STL.  I used the Circle by 3 Points tool to get most if it traced, then extruded to the other end.  The inner details took a bit more time, but it was exact... and smooth.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1