TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

My parallel construction tool goes on 'strike'.
Read 2628 times
September 23, 2016, 10:57:13 PM
In attempting to form a parallel construction line [the most important tool for me] the tool vanishes from the whole of model space just as soon as I enter the very first digit into its  'Inspector Bar' [minus sign or digit] so rendering the tool redundent. I have checked to see if it is placed anywhere else outside of my drawings scope and it is not. Occasionally the inspector bar will show many hundreds or thousands of feet on moving the parallel construction tool just a little away from its start parallel when at the same[approximate] time the measurement tool works perfectly as do all  other measurement and dimension devices.
If i select 'all' of my drawing space; open up another turbocad program and the paste the memorised drawings back into that new work space then the parallel construction tool works, once or more and then does the same vanishing trick.
I have been thinking that perhaps my machines memory is slow and low, is it?, the machine is a HP compact twin core 3.0MHz processor with 8 Gb's of installed memory; 9.7Gb virtual & 5.8 Gb latent.
 Help required please.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:01:20 PM by ChrisPSR »

Chris S
Architectural Practise: Chris Spreckley & Associates.Ex: S. Spreckley & Company Ltd.
Trained at:          The Manchester School of Building
Semi retired but Cross my palm .. and I'm in work.
Easel draughtsman, acting for corp clients; BBC;NCC;GCM;SWF;StdLifeAss., ScottishWidowsAss; BoEng etc

* September 24, 2016, 06:39:30 AM
 How far from the World Workplane Origin--  X, Y,&Z=0-- is the furthest entity located?  Zoom Extents, Select All, observe the Rulers and the furthest out entities' relation to the Rulers.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* September 24, 2016, 08:18:09 AM
Another thought I am having is that perhaps-- when experiencing the issue while using the Parallel Construction Tool-- the current/active User Coordinate System (Workplane) is other than that of the Workplane of the entities which you are referencing to be parallel to(there is a reason this could unintentionally occur, which I won't go into here, unless this proves to be the cause of your issue)

If I am recalling correctly from previous posts Chris, I believe you are intending on working in 2D only.  If so, maybe try this:
>Make Visible and UnLock all Layers
>Select All
>With all still selected, invoke the "Workplane by World" command
>With all still selected, invoke the "Place on Workplane" command

>Try the Parallel Construction Tool now.

-Alvin

P.S.
I have been thinking that perhaps my machines memory is slow and low, is it?, the machine is a HP compact twin core 3.0MHz processor with 8 Gb's of installed memory; 9.7Gb virtual & 5.8 Gb latent.

I think most of us would agree that the issue is almost assuredly not caused by that (quote above).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 02:49:16 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

September 25, 2016, 04:46:20 AM
Dear Alvin, Thank you for your reply.

The most distant object will be the inner border drawn on my 'Model Page'. This encompasses all my bits and pieces ie., nothing is outside of this border line other than accidental mistakes/errors. The border is within one half and inch of the print paper size of 24 x 36 or the World dimensions of 1152ft x 1728 ft., 1:48 or ¼” to 1’ 0”. I have checked  outside of his and in fact have cut all of my drawn entities done a Contrl A < Clear All < Paste back which does not provide improvement.

I am thinking now that your words <quote>
 the current/active User Coordinate System (Workplane) is other than that of the Workplane of the entities which you are referencing to be parallel to.  (there is a reason this could unintentionally occur, which I won't go into here, unless this proves to be the cause of your issue)<quote/> may well be the source of my problem.

Now this may be a "Shaggy dog" description so I will try and keep it short:-
Some time ago I completely and unwittingly experienced a triplication of all my lines, groups, graphics, dimensions and text. I wobbled on thinking that so long as the drawing looked right’ish then I would sort out the issue later. Yesterday during my attempts to get parallel constructions working I suddenly noticed a section of the drawing where I was trying to draw a parallel construction line [pcl] a group of lines that were in triplication and as I have formed the habit of rectifying this malady as found, I did so. Would you believe it but the pcl., worked. I tried to prove it by purposefully drawing three straight lines one on the other however this did not prevent the pcl., tool working correctly. I have now set about clearing the whole model space of such triplication (its taking hours); so: I have yet to prove that this is a cure but believe me Alvin I do watch for your every comment and follow it as well as I can.
I do not really understand work planes as a discipline in TurbCad and if you could point me in the right direction to gain the necessary understanding I would be very grateful. I have tried many times during my trials and tribulations doing a “Cntrl W” [cw] but I do not believe that this is helping nor do I understand the purpose of  cw.
So: until I have further experience following the clearing out of triplication I cant be sure.
Bye the bye. I do as yet only use 2D in Turbocad. I am modestly competent in Sketchup Pro 8 through to the current 2015 and look forward, when competent in Turbocad 2D, to trying your 3D but as yet I wish only to satisfy the Local Authorities and clients with TC 2D before thinking of anything else.
So do you gain anything from my diatribe, Sir.

Chris S.

Chris S
Architectural Practise: Chris Spreckley & Associates.Ex: S. Spreckley & Company Ltd.
Easel draughtsman, acting for corp clients; BBC;NCC;GCM;SWF;StdLifeAss., ScottishWidowsAss; BoEng etc

* September 25, 2016, 05:48:28 AM
..., when competent in Turbocad 2D, to trying your 3D ...

To be clear Chris, nothing I previously wrote was suggesting for you to work in 3D-- quite the contrary, in fact.

If/when this Parallel Construction Line issue occurs again, I suggest that you try:

>Make Visible and UnLock all Layers
>Select All
>With all still selected, invoke the "Workplane by World" command
>With all still selected, invoke the "Place on Workplane" command

>Try the Parallel Construction Tool now.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:58:27 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

September 25, 2016, 02:28:44 PM
..., when competent in Turbocad 2D, to trying your 3D ...

To be clear Chris, nothing I previously wrote was suggesting for you to work in 3D-- quite the contrary, in fact.

If/when this Parallel Construction Line issue occurs again, I suggest that you try:

>Make Visible and UnLock all Layers  DONE as existed
>Select All  ..............................  DONE as existed
>With all still selected, invoke the "Workplane by World" command    Can't find out how to do
>With all still selected, invoke the "Place on Workplane" command     Ditto.   Can't find out how to do

>Try the Parallel Construction Tool now.  I tried it once more in my drawing after stumbling with it then erasing local triplications and once more it worked
[Quote/]
Dear Alvin, Didn't mean to infer anything about working in 2D, I merely answered, or so I thought, your question  on my working in 2D.

I have looked for the workplane command in order to invoke it but cannot find it. The pdf., instructions say look at the bottom left of the screen for the 'button' to invoke, but I do not have that button. The only one I can see when clicked provides properties pages of all that which "Select All" provides and nothing within it points to the Workplane or alteration thereof. When I look in 'Preferences' I find "Show world cs" and tick the box and also when I enter Design director I am faced with two pertinent options, see attachments, of workspace and views. As there are two views is one of them there in error?

If I invoke WCS., as above does this guarantee me a 2D workplane ?

Once more may I lean upon you and ask for further help.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 05:53:40 AM by ChrisPSR »

Chris S

* October 03, 2016, 07:47:14 AM
Chris...

WorkPlane by World: Press Ctrl+Alt+W

Place on WorkPlane: Press Alt+Shift+W

Henry H

October 06, 2016, 08:49:36 AM
Chris...

Henry H

Henry, I keep trying these two short-cuts but find no difference. This could perhaps be that I do not know what to notice. Given that they are invoked and I still have the same result, are they connected?

So:
Is it possible to tell me just what they do or point me to the answers in TCW20.pdf or WHY?

Alvin has also written me on the subject but I am at a loss to find his iteration having read it once.

Chris S

Chris S

* October 06, 2016, 10:04:07 AM
Chris...

Henry H

Henry, I keep trying these two short-cuts but find no difference. This could perhaps be that I do not know what to notice. Given that they are invoked and I still have the same result, are they connected?

So:
Is it possible to tell me just what they do or point me to the answers in TCW20.pdf or WHY?

Alvin has also written me on the subject but I am at a loss to find his iteration having read it once.

Chris S

Chris, a Workplane in TCad is the plane upon which 2D objects are drawn, and it's also the plane upon which the program begins 3D primitives (e.g., Spheres). The World Workplane is the default, but you can invoke or create an essentially infinite number of others, located and/or oriented at just about any position or angles with respect to the World WP. Use the World WP for 2D work unless there's a good reason to do otherwise (and I can't think of any).

Each object in TCad carries with it some kind of memory of the WP in which it was created. A strange quirk of the program is that after you move a 2D object, its native WP will no longer correspond with the WP that is currently active -- even though you have done nothing to change the current WP and have not intentionally changed the object's own native WP. This WP disparity causes many operations or tools to function incorrectly. The "Place on Workplane" command does something internally to force the object's native WP to correspond to the currently active Workplane.

Please feel free to post your misbehaving .tcw file if you'd like someone here on the Forum to try to diagnose the problem.\

Henry H

October 06, 2016, 02:21:16 PM
Chris...

Henry H

Each object in TCad carries with it some kind of memory of the WP in which it was created. A strange quirk of the program is that after you move a 2D object, its native WP will no longer correspond with the WP that is currently active -- even though you have done nothing to change the current WP and have not intentionally changed the object's own native WP. This WP disparity causes many operations or tools to function incorrectly. The "Place on Workplane" command does something internally to force the object's native WP to correspond to the currently active Workplane.

Please feel free to post your misbehaving .tcw file if you'd like someone here on the Forum to try to diagnose the problem.\

Henry H

Henry, very many thanks for your reply. I have read you mailing thoroughly. My journey into Turbocad is through the deprecation of my previous 8 bit drawing program which after 25 years has finally expired by way of the 64 bit Operating Systems. It had to come someday! In that program it was 2D and nothing else and it did not require any differing working planes, hence my ignorance of planes.

If I invoke shift-Alt-W, which I presume is what is needed for 2D Turbocad, what circumstance changes that chosen plane? If I could get to understand that then I am sure I would understand why it is necessary to actually invoke shift-Alt-W.

I have attached herewith my prime, in fact only TC., drawing. This is a survey drawing of a dwelling (here in the UK.,) Currently I am having some difficulty in sorting out the fenestration registration on various facets of the front elevation around and external flue. I have just found out, to day, that a draughting quandary is being caused by a sprocketed eves structure previously thought  to be a straight 37'ish degree pitch and unseen before hand and hence a lot of work has been put into the surveying in order to sort out the eves lines which differ. The sorting is being hampered by my inability, at times, to use parallel construction to set out the measured facets; my resorting to using straight measured lines and attaching construction lines to that end point. However this constructional  inability can occur anywhere on the drawing just jumping out of the blue when it feels like hampering me.

I will say no more and await your dissertations on inspection of the drawing which is unfinished in many parts and also requires fine tuning, however it generally provides a picture of the property. Currently the error is occurring around the RH., side chimney/flue and its extension from the main walls of the house in both the Front Elevation and Section on A - A.

Many thanks for your interest,
Chris Spreckley

Chris S

* October 06, 2016, 02:37:34 PM
"If I invoke shift-Alt-W, which I presume is what is needed for 2D Turbocad, what circumstance changes that chosen plane? If I could get to understand that then I am sure I would understand why it is necessary to actually invoke shift-Alt-W."

I haven't looked at your drawing yet, Chris, but meanwhile...

Alt+Shift+W ("Place on Workplane") is applied only to objects that you have selected (i.e., it's not a global command), and it is often necessary after moving a 2D object, because otherwise certain operations may not work properly. An example of such an operation is using the Parallel Line tool to draw a line parallel to an existing line that has been moved from its original location. The only other situation that requires it (at least the only one I can think of at the moment) is to place a 2D object that was created on some other WP onto the current Workplane. I wouldn't bother to use Alt+Shift+W unless I had actually encountered an operation that didn't seem to work correctly.

Henry H
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 02:39:48 PM by Henry Hubich »

October 06, 2016, 02:44:32 PM
Henry That seems to make a good deal of sence and since I wrote to you I have selected all and invoked the A+S+W., and I cann not get the parallel construction to fail although there is a lot to the drawing in which I haventy tried to place a PC. Howsoever I am already feeling a much more confident Tubocader than I was 2 hours ago.

Thanks for the time being and many of them,

Chris

Chris S

* October 06, 2016, 04:06:13 PM
Chris, the roof slope on the RH side is not the same as on the LH side in the Front Elevation and in Section A-A, but the slopes are equal in the Rear Elevation. This seems inconsistent.

There are a number of redundant/overlapping lines, which I cleaned up before noticing the roof slope disparity. (And I did have to invoke Place on Workplane to make the Parallel Line tool work properly.) I don't think there's any point in posting the cleaned-up file until that disparity is addressed.

Henry H

* October 06, 2016, 05:54:53 PM

... Use the World WP for 2D work unless there's a good reason to do otherwise (and I can't think of any).

Henry H

One reason that comes to mind Henry is when drawing 2D Walls on top of 2D Walls-- such as the second-floor "on top of" the first-floor, but all on the World Workplane.  They self-heal, and causes issues.  When I intend for it to be a 2D-only drawing, it's real cumbersome to have to set up another Workplane a tad higher or lower... but I do it-- and hope I remember to change the Workplane as needed before inserting the Walls.

(Don't get too caught up in this Chris-- it's a bit more advanced than you need to concern yourself with at this time.)

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* October 06, 2016, 06:10:17 PM

Henry H

Chris, please see the attached screen-captures below.

If you are drawing and intending to draw in 2D only, I advise--very often advise:

Ticking the Warning Dialogs highlighted to "Show".  That is accessed via Menu Bar/Options/Warning Dialogues.

When working in TurboCAD, never click "Don't show this message again" when the two warning dialogues come up (the other two screen-captures shown).  Clicking that "Don't  show this message again" will cause the "Show" to untick in the Warning Dialogues options window.

And, when working in 2D only, never toggle the Selector Tool to "3D Selector"-- not even for funsies just to see what happens.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* October 06, 2016, 06:16:10 PM
Henry That seems to make a good deal of sence and since I wrote to you I have selected all and invoked the A+S+W., and I cann not get the parallel construction to fail although there is a lot to the drawing in which I haventy tried to place a PC. Howsoever I am already feeling a much more confident Tubocader than I was 2 hours ago.

Thanks for the time being and many of them,

Chris

RE:  "I have selected all and invoked the A+S+W., and I cann not get the parallel construction to fail"  --ChrisPSR

That is what I have been trying so earnestly the past couple of weeks to get you to do Chris.
I'm glad Henry was finally able to steer you correctly to the procedure.

If you are drawing in 2D: Select All/"Workplane by World"/"Place on Workplane" will serve you often and well when you run into issues.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* October 06, 2016, 07:36:50 PM
Another option to avoiding the workplane problem would be to get TurboCAD Designer, but I see that Avanquest doesn't sell that in the UK. Inexpensive and strictly 2D.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

October 07, 2016, 12:20:58 AM

... Use the World WP for 2D work unless there's a good reason to do otherwise (and I can't think of any).

Henry H

One reason that comes to mind Henry is when drawing 2D Walls on top of 2D Walls-- such as the second-floor "on top of" the first-floor, but all on the World Workplane.  They self-heal, and causes issues.  When I intend for it to be a 2D-only drawing, it's real cumbersome to have to set up another Workplane a tad higher or lower... but I do it-- and hope I remember to change the Workplane as needed before inserting the Walls.

(Don't get too caught up in this Chris-- it's a bit more advanced than you need to concern yourself with at this time.)

-Alvin
Alvin, in the UK we use cavity walling almost exclusively in dwellings of all kinds. I find when using the wall tool that the self healing process is a step too far for our detail because the cavity closure and dpc., detail gets lost; I am therefore utilising the double line tool that works exactly the same way (?) but doesn't self heal. When a junction occurs I simply ungroup the double line tool and then the remaining polygon, cut the lines to be intersected and remove the end cap. I am also getting a bit cleaver (now and again; o'yes its just a possibility you know) and see that I have no need of cavity closure and then do use the wall tool, but it really does want some thought and if your racing then the possibility tends to get overlooked.

Any further ideas on this subject would be welcome.

On your other eMail of which I have taken full cognisance; your first screen shot seems to show that you are using a version of TC., that is greater than mine and includes that which mine does not. I have added a screen shot of my similar warnings dialogue box for you to see. I have now ‘un-ticked’ the box “ ¦  ¦ClearBlock_WaninghDig ¦ Yes ¦  ¦ “. Can I take it this is desireable?

Thanks, once more for the help,
Chris S.

Chris S

October 07, 2016, 01:28:52 AM
Chris, the roof slope on the RH side is not the same as on the LH side in the Front Elevation and in Section A-A, but the slopes are equal in the Rear Elevation. This seems inconsistent.

There are a number of redundant/overlapping lines, which I cleaned up before noticing the roof slope disparity. (And I did have to invoke Place on Workplane to make the Parallel Line tool work properly.) I don't think there's any point in posting the cleaned-up file until that disparity is addressed.

Henry H
Dear Henry, you are obviously looking in depth, thanks. The roof disparity is because that is the very point I am trying to rectify throughout the drawing at this time but starting where you so rightly found the error. The survey uses a certain amount of 'Scientific Guess Work' (SGW) because at 75 I am not one for climbing ladders.

I have only just noticed that the roof utilises sprockets which make an enormous difference to roof pitch and length thereof. This came to light when the ingle nook window measurements were aligned with the RH., 1st floor bow window on the front elevation. this showed that in maintaining the roof pitch then the RH., elevation guttering finished within the ingle nook window whereas it actually finishes on the outside of the external flue. So I went back to site and looking hard could actually see that the roof was sprocketed. I am now working on the drawing and bringing these into line so once again I am having to use SGW. Normally these roofs  in the UK., of the WW2 period are built utilising an angle of about 42 degrees; complementing this was the Building Regulation Bye Law that stipulated that any flue way must exhaust above it highest ridge. So given that 4 bricks on this gauge = 13.5" then counting the bricks and multiplying them by the factor of 3.25" per course minus one joint plus the pot provides the height of the flue-way and hence the ridge. So at this moment I am bringing all this together; the drawing you have is at the beginning of this work route. To day the regulations differ and the stack exhaust is built using a minimum distance from the pitch and is quite different to the era when I was born.

Thanks for your help so far. I hope my diatribe helps.
Chris S.

Chris S

October 07, 2016, 02:21:19 AM
Henry,

Couple of more facts.

Because the roof is made up of four triangulate faces with the very minimum of ridge then there are in-fact no common rafters and only jack and hip rafters; about one third of the way to the eves the roof is sprocketed so the roof is in fact curved from that approximate third position to eves. The only SGW., that can be accommodated here is the fact that the main roof and the ingle nook extension of the main roof have to have a certain common line and its smoothness is precisely that of the carpenter in charge of that work when a new build, so I will presume those ideologies and positions when attempting to recreate those sprockets.

Cheers,
Chris S.

Chris S

* October 07, 2016, 04:07:13 AM
 I have added a screen shot of my similar warnings dialogue box for you to see. I have now ‘un-ticked’ the box “ ¦  ¦ClearBlock_WaninghDig ¦ Yes ¦  ¦ “. Can I take it this is desireable?

Chris S.

In your Warning Dialogues options, Chris, Tick--✔-- the Box in the "Show" column for the Warning Title "SelectorChangeUcsDrawing".

The fact that this warning is now populated in your Options/WarningDialogs window indicates that you have previously ignored the warning and decided to proceed and selected "Don't show this message again" when the Warning Dialog "Selecting the object in the 2D mode changes the drawing's Workplane.  Do you want to continue?" popped up.

Ignoring that warning because its meaning is not understood-- including the other, similar warning, which I previously posted in tandem, this thread--  proceeding drawing, and ticking "Don't show this message again", is the most common cause of the most common issue(s) I see among Forum members that are new to TurboCAD and are struggling.   Particularly so for those who wish to draw in 2D only.

_____
Note:  "Workplane" and "UCS" (User Coordinate System") are very near synonymous-- enough so, that it is best just to think of them as synonymous.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* October 07, 2016, 06:51:58 AM
Chris, what does, "the roof is sprocketed" mean?

Henry H

October 07, 2016, 09:57:53 AM
Wondering if some movies on workplanes would help the cause?

https://www.youtube.com/user/IMSIDesign/search?query=workplanes

Thanks,
Dave Taylor
TurboCAD Product Manager

October 07, 2016, 11:27:33 AM

Henry H
Henry, Sprocketing is a recognised way of forming the slope of a roof on and approaching eves that is as the French say 'Retrousez' or to turn up. This is the method used on every classic roof of size in order to slow the flow of rainwater down a roof as it approaches the guttering so allowing the surface water to run more slowly and positively into a gutter. Mostly this occurs on and around eaves but can occur further back from eaves as the designer deems necessary and or for ornament which is the construction that I am observing in my model; all yet to be implemented therein.

Chris,
I'll see if I can find an Internet example and attach it. [Found example is not a sound example but one that shows the principle and from a high authority].
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:46:48 AM by ChrisPSR »

Chris S

October 07, 2016, 12:03:08 PM
 I have added a screen shot of my similar warnings dialogue box for you to see. I have now ‘un-ticked’ the box “ ¦  ¦ClearBlock_WaninghDig ¦ Yes ¦  ¦ “. Can I take it this is desireable?

Chris S.

In your Warning Dialogues options, Chris, Tick--✔-- the Box in the "Show" column for the Warning Title "SelectorChangeUcsDrawing".

The fact that this warning is now populated in your Options/WarningDialogs window indicates that you have previously ignored the warning and decided to proceed and selected "Don't show this message again" when the Warning Dialog "Selecting the object in the 2D mode changes the drawing's Workplane.  Do you want to continue?" popped up.

Ignoring that warning because its meaning is not understood-- including the other, similar warning, which I previously posted in tandem, this thread--  proceeding drawing, and ticking "Don't show this message again", is the most common cause of the most common issue(s) I see among Forum members that are new to TurboCAD and are struggling.   Particularly so for those who wish to draw in 2D only.

_____
Note:  "Workplane" and "UCS" (User Coordinate System") are very near synonymous-- enough so, that it is best just to think of them as synonymous.

-Alvin
OK Alvin Ive done that but the english translation of "SelectorChange UCS Drawing" seems to offer t he reverse of that which is required.

I am using my LapTop at this moment which is providing a different warning dialogue box to that on my deskTOP, [CONFUSION]. Although the box tghat you have asked me to tick is vacant I have now ticked that box, put it to bed and saved 'all'.

LapTop warning dialogue screen shot attached.

Thank you for your help.
Chris S
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 12:05:03 PM by ChrisPSR »

Chris S

* October 07, 2016, 05:45:19 PM

Henry H
Henry, Sprocketing is a recognised way of forming the slope of a roof on and approaching eves that is as the French say 'Retrousez' or to turn up. This is the method used on every classic roof of size in order to slow the flow of rainwater down a roof as it approaches the guttering so allowing the surface water to run more slowly and positively into a gutter. Mostly this occurs on and around eaves but can occur further back from eaves as the designer deems necessary and or for ornament which is the construction that I am observing in my model; all yet to be implemented therein.

Chris,
I'll see if I can find an Internet example and attach it. [Found example is not a sound example but one that shows the principle and from a high authority].

Thanks, Chris.

Henry H

October 08, 2016, 04:41:43 AM
Henry,

Please tell me whther I am out of order asking you directly this next question please?

You stated that you had found duplicated lines in my drawing which is something that I accede to and would love to eradicate. So: this has left me wondering if there is any way of finding exactly duplicated lines, blocks, groups or graphic objects other than by directly selecting an existing entity. For example if you could select in totality one particular upper level 'slice' of the whole; set that to one side in memory say and the select all that is left, deleting that remainder; then paste back the upper slice. This would repair the whole drawing rather than leaving unnecessary lines within the whole..................Wishful thinking or is there a method?

If this all sounds like double Dutch, I apologise most sincerely,
Chris Spreckley

Chris S

* October 08, 2016, 07:59:09 AM
Henry,

Please tell me whther I am out of order asking you directly this next question please?

You stated that you had found duplicated lines in my drawing which is something that I accede to and would love to eradicate. So: this has left me wondering if there is any way of finding exactly duplicated lines, blocks, groups or graphic objects other than by directly selecting an existing entity. For example if you could select in totality one particular upper level 'slice' of the whole; set that to one side in memory say and the select all that is left, deleting that remainder; then paste back the upper slice. This would repair the whole drawing rather than leaving unnecessary lines within the whole..................Wishful thinking or is there a method?

If this all sounds like double Dutch, I apologise most sincerely,
Chris Spreckley

Chris, you're not out of order at all. But members of this particular Forum tend to be so polite that addressing a question to just one of us might just inhibit other and probably more knowledgeable members from jumping in with an answer ;-)

My own answer is: I'm afraid I don't know any streamlined method of detecting and eliminating unnecessary duplications.

Henry H

October 08, 2016, 10:54:23 AM
Henry,

Chris, you're not out of order at all. But members of this particular Forum tend to be so polite that addressing a question to just one of us might just inhibit other and probably more knowledgeable members from jumping in with an answer ;-)

My own answer is: I'm afraid I don't know any streamlined method of detecting and eliminating unnecessary duplications.

Henry H

Thank you Henry I understand. I will address my querries in a proper manner in future. Pity that there is no short cut to eradicating  the unnecessary.

Yours sincerely,
Chris S

Chris S

* October 08, 2016, 11:28:26 AM
Maybe i missunderstand but there is a way to delete multipe copys of 1 object, lets say you have 10 lines on the same place, select them all with a crossing window in example, press Shift and click on them one more time, select one of them, this one will now be Unselected, delete the rest and you are left with 1 line, but of course only objects by objects, not the full drawing.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* October 08, 2016, 11:46:16 AM
Maybe i missunderstand but there is a way to delete multipe copys of 1 object, lets say you have 10 lines on the same place, select them all with a crossing window in example, press Shift and click on them one more time, select one of them, this one will now be Unselected, delete the rest and you are left with 1 line, but of course only objects by objects, not the full drawing.

Torfinn

Is there a way to find the duplicated objects?

Henry H

* October 08, 2016, 12:26:06 PM
If they are dublicated on the same spot for  whatever reason, that happens from time to time, especial if we import something to the drawing from elsewere, i at least meet that often with terrain.
TC do know wich one that is the first one, the one at the top in Selection Info pallete in my head, maybe it is wrong, but the latest is always in the bottom of a multiple selection

Torfinn

Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled

October 09, 2016, 11:57:49 AM

Torfinn
Torfin, This seems like a fabulous answer, however I have  to say that my selections by cross swiping almost always show  here to be several differing types of entity selected; ie., graphics, polygons, lines, arch's and if present poly-parrot. So in selecting one entity to delete the remainder would in my case at least be ruinous. Or is  there yet another associated method lurking in the morass of lineage? I will though bear in mind and use when the ability to live and let die occurs.

Thanks, Chris S.

Chris S

* October 09, 2016, 03:14:05 PM
That will deepend on how big your cross selection is, make it just over the object you need, i dont have lines and arcs on the same spot else i hope you using layer so that you can turn of the other parts you dont want to touch, before selecting, then you will be left with only the "problem" parts

Torfinn

Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled

October 10, 2016, 07:41:58 AM
That will deepend on how big your cross selection is, make it just over the object you need, i dont have lines and arcs on the same spot else i hope you using layer so that you can turn of the other parts you dont want to touch, before selecting, then you will be left with only the "problem" parts

Torfinn
Sure Torfinn. It all helps I agree, but the only objects I have locked are the drawing sheet outline and legend, all the rest are unlocked for convenience.

Cheers &  thanks,
Chris S.

Chris S

* October 10, 2016, 08:05:35 AM
I am not talking about lock layers, but close layers, i never lock any layers at all, normally.

Torfinn

Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled