TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Paper Space not functioning correctly (for me)
Read 1674 times
* September 16, 2016, 01:31:46 AM
Hi folks,

Hopefully someone can help me resolve an issue I am having with Paper Space.  I am using TC 21 deluxe with Windows 10.  I have also read the similar topic at http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,19626.0.html, and viewed the videos, but this did not resolve my issue also.

The intention is to have the drawing (model space) remain at 1:1 (full size) but the paper space viewport at 1:72 (and print at 1:72).

I have set up the model space as shown (attached).  I have created a view called Ship Plan and then renamed paper 1 to Full Plans, and set the page up as shown (attached). 

Question:  Should the Drawing Space page size also be set to A4 or is this the size as determined by the program required to fit the drawing at this size?
I then created a viewport and called the full ship plan view.  All good so far.

Problem 1. However, I cannot select or right click on the viewport boundary (to open the properties). 
I can right click on the Paper Space Tab (Ship Plan) and open the properties and set it up as follows. I have setup the Model Space Tab properties also as shown.

The other issue, which may, or may not be a related problem, is with functioning of layers in these two spaces.  I have 55 layers as shown below (not a working issue) and in model space all layers perform as needed.  Specifically if I turn a layer named “Detail Drawings” off, then the associated drawings are cleared from the screen – all good.

Problem 2. However, when viewing paper space, if I turn this level off in either model or paper space the whole drawing disappears (including the viewport boundary box).
I have tried everything I can think off and the help topics have proven fruitless.  I have viewed the TC Training videos for this operation and I am creating the paper space as shown in the video.

Any clues as to what may be causing the two issues please?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 03:25:10 PM by PatM »

TC2016Pro+LW
Beginner (with much to learn) mainly period ship plans and fittings

* September 16, 2016, 02:18:19 AM
Oops - sorry moderators - I have just noticed I posted this in Tips and Tricks when I thought I had posted to the problems thread - could you please move it?

cheers

Pat
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 03:23:46 PM by PatM »

TC2016Pro+LW

* September 18, 2016, 03:20:48 PM
No suggestions??

With further investigation/tinkering I have found that if I right click on the affected layer (Details) [right click  on the layer in the Design Director] an "Edit properties" dialog pops-up and I can turn the layer on/off here which is strange as it appears to be the viewport properties associated with this layer?  Can this be possible?  The dialog box is attached.  I still cannot select or right click on the viewport boundary box in paper space.

cheers (and some help please :))

Pat

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 03:25:55 PM by PatM »

TC2016Pro+LW

* September 18, 2016, 03:32:03 PM
To save a whole lot of guesswork, going back and forth, and time Pat, is it possible that you could upload/attach the Drawing file.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* September 18, 2016, 03:50:49 PM
Hi Alvin,

I could try but the file is massive (TCW file is 26.4MB).  The drawing is the 2D drawing of a ship's plans with many underlying plans and images.  Any suggestions on how best to upload this to you?

cheers (and many thanks for the offer).

Pat

TC2016Pro+LW

* September 18, 2016, 04:09:50 PM
Hi Alvin,

I could try but the file is massive (TCW file is 26.4MB).  The drawing is the 2D drawing of a ship's plans with many underlying plans and images.  Any suggestions on how best to upload this to you?

cheers (and many thanks for the offer).

Pat

Well... you provided enough information that the guesswork and going back-and-forth method ought to work; but it will take time.  Hopefully some others will come in and help you as well; I plan on watching some football tonight on TV, and I have a full-time job to get to early tomorrow.

If you really wanted to share the file (which is best, for getting help with this), you could upload to Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or some other cloud-based drive and provide the link for others to download.

Just from your screen-captures and previous posts, I see some clues.
First off:  The Page Setup properties of Modelspace have nothing to do with the eventual printing from Paperspace.
Secondly:  We advise setting the Paperspace printing scale to 1:1(Full Size).  This can be done via File/PageSetup (when in a Paperspace) or via the PaperspaceProperties/SpaceUnits.  Set the scale in Viewport Properties, and tick the "Fixed" option.
Third:  In the Paperspace File/PageSetup, try setting the Printer Paper Size and orientation and the Drawing Sheet Size and orientation to the same thing. (Reminder:  You should be seeing 1:1(Full Size) in that "Paper Space Printing Scale" field-box)

Fourth: On the disappearing and not-selectable Viewport issue.  Perhaps you have the Viewport on the Layer that you are "turning off" (clicking "Invisible") and that's why it disappears.  Maybe you have the Viewport on a Layer that is Locked and that's why you cannot select it.

There's more.  But work on those for now.  Hard to accomplish much without the Drawing File for all of us to reference and use in discussion with you.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* September 18, 2016, 04:14:14 PM
Just to give you some inspiration Pat, if we had the Drawing File, we (many of the fellow TurboCADers/Forum Members) would be able to make the adjustments in all the settings and get you ready to print-- in less than 5 minutes.  All we would need is to know the size paper that you want to print on.

Alvin Gregorio

* September 18, 2016, 05:17:28 PM
Very many thanks Alvin this is very much appreciated.  I will look at the suggestions you have provided - I think the viewport issue is as you suspect.  First I have to work out how I got the viewport onto a layer and not the base document - and how to correct this :)

WRT printing - the reason I have it set to !:72 is that I can print at the scale we are making the model of this ship to.  If I set it at 1:1 how do I then print it at the size I want?  I have drawn at 1:1 (166 feet horizontal for the length of the ship at the waterline) as we (my club) may also make a 1;48 model later.

My printer is restricted to (ISO) A4 only and I have set up for landscape orientation.  Can I PM/email you about the file please?

regards

Pat

TC2016Pro+LW

* September 18, 2016, 05:29:45 PM
Hello Pat.  You can email the Drawing file to me.  Click on My Name (to the left, under "Author") and you will find my personal email address.

Before sending the Drawing file, please "Save As..." TurboCAD version-20.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* September 18, 2016, 05:44:11 PM
... I think the viewport issue is as you suspect.  First I have to work out how I got the viewport onto a layer and not the base document - and how to correct this :)
Pat

Pat, you wrote "First I have to work out how I got the viewport onto a layer and not the base document - and how to correct this".

That indicates to me a lack of full understanding of how Layers work.  To help clear that up:  We can put Viewports on any Layer we choose-- including different Viewports on different Layers.

I would say there is no such thing as "base document" in TurboCAD.  At least not such terminology that we all use.

Alvin Gregorio

* September 18, 2016, 05:54:27 PM
Thanks Alvin, I have never used dropbox or the like before, and as this is a very large file I will need to do something like that (even zip would not get it below 10MB where I need to be to post it through my provider).  Please give me a day or two to sort that out and I get it to you.  Ack the version 20.

I have had some success using your suggestions - again many thanks. I can now select the view port (left click) but not right click to get the properties dialog.  I can right click on the layer and access the dialog box that way  - how I did that  :)  You are very much right in pointing out my lack of understanding of layers in TC - I need to go and research that a lot more.

I can also now turn on/off layers in either space so about 90% there thankfully.  I have several more viewport to establish so that I can print at 1:72 to A4 so I need to establish what i did wrong so that I don't do that again :)

cheers

Pat

TC2016Pro+LW

* September 18, 2016, 05:58:36 PM
If the images are not needed for a proper Paperspace setup, I would suggest saving a copy of the Drawing file, deleting the embedded images, then save again (the copy) via the Image Manager.  That's gotta save a bunch of file size.  Then maybe it will be small enough for posting here and/or emailing.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* September 18, 2016, 06:12:35 PM
If the images are not needed for a proper Paperspace setup, I would suggest saving a copy of the Drawing file, deleting the embedded images, then save again (the copy) via the Image Manager.  That's gotta save a bunch of file size.  Then maybe it will be small enough for posting here and/or emailing.

-Alvin

Hm?

Henry H

* September 18, 2016, 06:25:11 PM

-Alvin

Hm?

Henry H

Yeah, that wasn't as linguistically correct as I would like it to be.  Sunday Night Football is on!, so I'm in a hurry.

What I was trying to advise was for Pat to first save a copy of the file before deleting the embedded images.  I didn't want Pat to delete the embedded images from his only copy of the file then accidentally Save that file, after the deletions.

So I advised first saving a copy of the file, deleing the embedded images, then save that (new...  no embedded images) file.
Edited:  If the images are not needed for a proper Paperspace setup, I would suggest saving a copy of the Drawing file, deleting the embedded images via the Image Manager, then save again (the copy).   Better. More grammatically correct.  Meanwhile, Green Bay versus Minnesota...

-Alvin
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 06:30:34 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* September 18, 2016, 08:25:19 PM
Got the gist of this - thanks Alvin, hope the team had a win :)

cheers

Pat
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 02:12:23 PM by PatM »

TC2016Pro+LW

* October 03, 2016, 06:43:49 PM
I would like to register a huge vote of appreciation to Alvin Gregario for sorting this out for me.  he not only analysed my files to see where I was going wrong he had the patience to bear with my inexperience - I am now much the wiser.

Thanks you Alvin

TC2016Pro+LW