TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Fills and Text Suggestions
Read 492 times
August 27, 2016, 04:53:21 PM
Working today with TC Designer and two things made themselves apparent:  It would be nice to be able to change the line spacing for text objects, and it would be convenient (for me, anyway) to be have a parameter setting so that fill patterns maintain their angle in  relation to their associated object i.e. you rotate an object and the pattern rotates with it.   I use a lot of homemade graphic patterns that help high school students who have no drafting or construction experience read and interpret design elements.  For instance I may fill an object with a graphic representing wood grain direction on a sheet of plywood.  As I move and position these objects I am forever having to readjust their fill angle as the direction of grain has a structural impact on the integrity of the finished project.

* August 27, 2016, 06:25:21 PM
If you use Multiline Text, you can set the line spacing in its Properties dialog.

Apparently a bitmap brush patten maintains its orientation in space regardless of how one rotates the object. A vector fill will rotate with the object if you explode it two times (Format>Explode) and then Group (Format>Create Group) the fill with the outline.

A workaround that might suit your requirements is to draw a rectangle and use the Spline tool to sketch a simple representation of a wood grain inside it. Then select the whole works and go to Format>Create Block. You can insert as many copies of the Block into the drawing as you wish, and each copy can be rotated, moved, and/or rescaled as necessary. See attached screenshot.

Henry H

August 28, 2016, 09:52:07 AM
Thanks, Henry.  An elegant solution I should have thought about.

* August 28, 2016, 11:32:55 AM
The Hatch (Brush) patterns rotating thing:

I agree with the Wish request.  But it's probably a really big deal to create Code for.

Wondering what version gusKlenke was using, I searched his Posts.  Came across this thread, "Brush Patterns", where Henry offered another good workaround for the Brush/Hatch rotating with the Object thing:  First make the Object a Block.  We can then insert multiple instances of it if desired (Rubber Stamp or Make Copy can aid in this).  (I assume that Designer in Gus' version has Blocks capability)

We can rotate the Block, and/or scale it, and the Brush pattern remains relative to the Object it's in.
Setting the Object within the Block's Pen to "By Block" gives us a little freedom in using various colors.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:51:06 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)