TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Rendering Ideas/Tips using Lightworks!
Read 1348 times
* August 23, 2016, 12:40:42 AM
Hi All

The designs for the machines that I've built are done, all dimensioned, key parts from the engineering shop have now arrived. I'm finalising the build for the optional components in my workshop now and our patents process has just started.

Thankyou to everyone who helped me with the turbocad learning curve, at times I really thought that I'd bitten of more than I could chew. But I gotta say the help and support through this forum was at times exceptional and some people are just awesome, so thanks once again to all who helped and answering all my questions.   

From my perspective Turbocad 2016 Platinum has delivered on the mechanical design that we needed and then some.  8)Thanks IMSI & Turbocad.

Rendering Ideas/Tips using Lightworks!

I'm just a complete novice in this area of rendering and that's the final goal.

Many of the parts that I've used throughout the machines are folded aluminium sheet therefore, the folded sheet object in the the transparent.tcw represents parts used within four machines that I've built in my home workshop, the dc motor is placed there just for visual reference.

What I'm wanting todo is view the detail of objects that sit within the folded aluminium sheet object when we produce the documentation. Can anyone suggest a method that will permit the folded parts objects (dc motor & others) to viewed as transparent with clarity and not show any shadows at all in the attached tcw file?

Is that possible and what effect will that have on other object behind? 

How do you use the Lightworks xray transparent functions, as this may be the most suitable?.
( some screen grabs may help me here )

I have tried but could not work out how to select or use ( Lightworks xray transparent functions ) with the folded object as a base metal part from the lightworks materials editor.

An alternative maybe that I subtract a rectangle box from the top left corner of the folded sheet so that the detail
( of numerous small parts ) are visible within, does that make sense?

Finally is there a materials tutorial available for Lightworks? ( just using the LightWorksTCHelp.chm )

Thanks

Darryl

transparent.tcw
transparent.png
lightworks.png

Thanks Daz
TCW V21, 2016 & 2017 PP, Animation Lab V5, Graficalc, TCMap, TurboPDF V2-V3 & Lightworks mostly
Windows 10 Home ed. i7 @ 3400Ghz, 16GB, Nvidia 960GTX 4GB ram, 2TB HD, 500GB SSD & 128GB SSD

Good better best
Never let it rest
Until your good is better
And your better is best

* August 23, 2016, 12:51:22 AM
The output from the Turbopdf printer driver was extremely crisp in detail when creating the patents line art.   

Thanks Daz
TCW V21, 2016 & 2017 PP, Animation Lab V5, Graficalc, TCMap, TurboPDF V2-V3 & Lightworks mostly
Windows 10 Home ed. i7 @ 3400Ghz, 16GB, Nvidia 960GTX 4GB ram, 2TB HD, 500GB SSD & 128GB SSD

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* August 23, 2016, 07:28:36 AM
I'd suggest that you forget the XRay transparency; it's not worth the trouble IMO. Use "Plain Coverage." And you may want to reduce the mirror reflectance of the aluminum sheet material.

Regarding shadows: If you select a 3D object in the drawing and go to the 3D page of its Properties dialog, you'll see some options that may be useful. See the attached screenshot.

Henry H

* August 23, 2016, 12:53:43 PM
Thanks Henry I will give it a try.

Is it possible to apply any transparent lightworks functionality and get decent results?

Or should I just consider a partial image of key detail with a viewport ( cutaway )?

Or an alternative may be just a 3d subtract on a corner?

Thanks

Darryl

Thanks Daz

Good better best
Never let it rest
And your better is best

* August 23, 2016, 02:09:43 PM
"Is it possible to apply any transparent lightworks functionality and get decent results?"

Yes, if you set the various parameters correctly. I recommended "Plain Coverage" Transparency because there is only one parameter to set.

"Or should I just consider a partial image of key detail with a viewport ( cutaway )?

Or an alternative may be just a 3d subtract on a corner?"

Heavens to Betsy, Darryl; I don't know. Try both and see which you like better.

Henry H