TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Applying dimensions to a 3d object
Read 928 times
* August 17, 2016, 06:47:25 PM
I receive .igs files of 3d parts to be machined.  It's easy to review the overall shape,
but sometimes difficult to verify actual sizes.  This is particularly true of holes and recesses. 
I've not been able to apply auto dimensioning to any of the parts.  Is there a way to do so,
or is a different method required?       

Thank you.

Zant
TurboCad 2015 Platinum

" What ever you are, be a good one. "  Abraham Lincoln

* August 18, 2016, 04:33:52 AM
Passing sections through your objects or using the drafting palette to define them gives you access to the features that you want to dimension, and defines workplanes for the dimensions to be created upon.   TC doesn't dimension automatically. 

* August 18, 2016, 08:35:17 AM
The section operations look to " slice " through the 3d object, but do I create sections along all the external faces to add the outer dimensions? 

Thank you.

Zant

" Whatever you are, be a good one. "   Abraham Lincoln

* August 18, 2016, 03:41:22 PM
There are several ways to do almost everything in TC.  Your notion will only be useful if the outer dimensions are to applied to flat surfaces that are orthogonal to the view.  If they aren't you use viewports in paper space or a drafting palette view, and once you're familiar with how to do that, it's generally quicker to use that methodology as the go-to.  There's a learning curve.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 04:01:21 PM by murray dickinson »

* August 24, 2016, 07:41:59 AM
The paperspace viewports were the easier
way.  A lot easier.

Thank you again for your help.

Zant

" Whatever you are, be a good one. "  Abraham Lincoln