TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Be Careful When Using the Explode Command
Read 6551 times
May 28, 2009, 05:48:07 AM
Be Careful When Using the Explode Command.

If you perform this command more than once on a drawing object other than a straight line, it will break the object down to small straight line segments. This includes circles and polylines.

This is covered in the Reference Manual, but the ramifications are not emphasized.

If you do this to profile lines in 3D modeling, it will change the character of your models. I only discovered this when selecting on some circles, and discovered that TC did not recognize them as circles. Further study revealed that these circles had been converted to small straight line segments.

Harry in Harrisburg
TC  21.2 Professional, Build 59.2.
Lenovo W530 Workstation LapTop
Processor Intel i7-3820QM 3.7 Ghz
16 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2000M Graphics

"There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough to do it over."

* May 28, 2009, 09:09:17 AM
The explode command should only be used as a last resort, in most cases.  There are times when the explode command is useful, like when pulling in a generic block that you don't necessarily need to be a block (it's just handy to have it stored in the block list). 

We used to have a fellow that worked in my office that swore by the explode command!  He would explode everything he possibly could.  Two lines not the correct distance apart?  No problem, explode the leader dimension so that you can manually edit the text!  God forbid he actually do the logical thing and make the drawing correct by putting the lines the proper distance apart!

Another thing he sometimes did was explode hatches - to the point where the hatch pattern turns into individual line segments.  Couple that with the fact he had no clue about the disappearing hatch bug and it became a real thrill to go back and edit his work.

* May 28, 2009, 02:33:06 PM
Be Careful When Using the Explode Command.

Instead of Explode, I will hold the Ctrl key and select an object within a Group or a selection. I can then go the Selection Info palette to make changes there; the selection will be highlighted. Clicking on the "Select" icon at the top of the palette will allow me to move or rotate the selection. Explode is the last thing one should use.

John R.

[attachment deleted by admin]

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* May 28, 2009, 08:10:50 PM
Keep your eye on the Selection Info Palette. It tells you what the selected object is/are. If you've inadvertently converted (say) a Polyline to a bunch of Lines and Arcs, you'll know it immediately and can hit the Undo button while the fragments are still selected.

Henry H