TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Fillet Edges
Read 5768 times
* July 30, 2016, 03:14:04 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have an issue with trying to fillet the edges of a profiled object, the Fillet Edges tool works with no issue on some sections but it will not fillet the edges on the profile?

The Polyline before extrusion had 12 Vertices, & in the Inspector Bar I have (Fillet Edges & Round Vertices) selected.
I have also tried with just the Simple Extrude & also changing the object to a Solid with no luck either?

As a test I used the tool on a cylinder & a box etc & it works fine but not on what I need, I had the same issue with another object yesterday that had a long external radius on one section of the profile & it still will not radius that either.

I have attached a screen shot of the simple object & you will see that right angled section is filleted but not the highlighted profile section which is what I require.

When selecting the edge to fillet it shows the radius between the nodes as selected not (the entire length of the profile) & then I select Finish & it appears as if it is going to work ok but no Fillet shows?

Cheers
David
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 03:22:52 PM by willeng »

* July 30, 2016, 03:19:45 PM
The Picture didn't appear to upload correctly, so I will try again?

Cheers
David

* July 30, 2016, 04:02:36 PM
Hi Everyone,
Sorry for all the posts.

I think it may be a case of TC being a temperamental SOB as I just restarted my computer for about the tenth time & it now filleted the edges without problem on the object shown above?

It however will not Fillet the large radius sections of this object--see attachment.
You will see it has filleted the Base & the small radius near the base but not the rest?

Cheers
David

* July 30, 2016, 05:01:40 PM
Hi Everyone,
Sorry for all the posts.

I think it may be a case of TC being a temperamental SOB as I just restarted my computer for about the tenth time & it now filleted the edges without problem on the object shown above?

It however will not Fillet the large radius sections of this object--see attachment.
You will see it has filleted the Base & the small radius near the base but not the rest?

Cheers
David

Can you post the .tcw, David?

Henry H

* July 30, 2016, 09:18:15 PM
Hi Henry,
Sorry for the delay, damn visitors when you don't need them?
Sure, I should have posted the file before, sorry about that!

Cheers
David
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 11:07:53 PM by willeng »

* July 30, 2016, 09:42:02 PM
I just attached this screenshot as I forgot to mention it before.
When I fillet one of the inside edges of the large object in the file attached I get a strange blowout at the end as can be seen in the attachment?
It looks as if the object is hollow but when subtracting a piece out of it, it is solid?

Please see attachment.

Cheers David

* July 30, 2016, 10:58:47 PM
I get a strange blowout at the end as can be seen in the attachment?

Odd things happen occasionally, occasionally using SAT healing before doing any operation can help (on my installation its under the format menu), however even odder - the .tcw file posted above is 0KB in size (empty). 

* July 30, 2016, 11:00:20 PM
Hi Henry,
Sorry for the delay, damn visitors when you don't need them?
Sure, I should have posted the file before, sorry about that!

Cheers
David
The attached file is empty.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* July 30, 2016, 11:09:15 PM
I just attached the file again in the post above, should work now hopefully!

Cheers
David

* July 31, 2016, 04:18:56 AM
With the right object in the drawing (as shown in your pic above), I just turned off the round vertex mode on the inspection bar and manually selected the edges in a sequence, it then blended ok.

The left object in the drawing is more of a problem and I ended up blending the right half of it with round vertex turned off,  slicing down the middle, got rid of the left half, mirror copied to good half and adding together, it seems to me that, for whatever reason,  TC doesn't like the fact that the arcs in the polyline profile are not tangent to each other, (TC loves things to be tangent). I don't know if the top line joining the left and right halves of the polyline profile is meant to be flat, but it's not hence why there is a centre (front to back line) which is selected when round vertex is turned on and one selects both halves to blend, - these 'extras' generally show us as a green node.

##Edit## as you have unfortunately found, blending in TC can occasionally be hit and miss, and sometimes required a bit of fiddling to get what one wishes. ##End Edit##
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:23:25 AM by Andy H »

* July 31, 2016, 05:14:30 AM
I just attached the file again in the post above, should work now hopefully!

Cheers
David

Rather than fussing with your drawing I redrew it using your profile as an "arc polyline".
Turbo filleted like a champ.
> converted polyline
> extruded the sides and filleted outer edge
> created bottom then 3d added all
> finished filleting
" TC being a temperamental SOB"
 ;D The trick is in finding out what Turbo likes then remembering it  :P

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

* July 31, 2016, 05:54:06 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks Andy & Dean,

I will try the methods mentioned & see how I go!
Like most things, the right procedure for the application is the correct way to go, it's just knowing what is best.

Things are a little hectic at the moment but I will try this out later when I get some free time.

Thanks Again

Cheers
David

* August 01, 2016, 01:34:59 PM
Hi Everyone,

I can finally get back to this now, my wife had surgery & I have had the skirt on for a few days keeping things going, not a pretty sight.

Andy,
Yes, the top joining line was supposed to be flat as you mention & I still don't know what I did wrong with that?
Obviously I buggered it up but have fixed it all now.
I usually only draw one side of an object or profile then mirror copy as you mention also.

Dean,
I redrew everything & used your method or close to it & I got the fillet tool to work ok now.
Looking at your wire frame picture, do you have degenerative faceting turned off, if so does this make a difference for filleting things?

Thanks again for the help with this.

With the attached file I just copied the objects & the profiles from the main drawing & pasted them into a new file to upload, the main drawing is around 28Mb at the moment.
Just a quick question on this:
When I try to open the main drawing file it takes about 10min to load, is this normal?

Cheers
David

* August 01, 2016, 01:41:02 PM
With the attached file I just copied the objects & the profiles from the main drawing & pasted them into a new file to upload, the main drawing is around 28Mb at the moment.
Just a quick question on this:
When I try to open the main drawing file it takes about 10min to load, is this normal?

Neither the file size nor the time required to open it seems normal for such a relatively simple object, David. How does the new file behave?

Henry H

* August 01, 2016, 02:03:30 PM
Hi Henry,

I have quite a lot going on in the main drawing, I have taken a quick shot of it, please see attachment.
I am only part way into it at this stage but it takes at least 10min to load now?

The file acts normally sometimes then at other times it does act very strange indeed with all sorts of weird things happening?

Cheers
David

* August 01, 2016, 02:50:21 PM
Quick question, are the bolts 'real' (i.e. proper threads), if so this can really slow down TC, if not, then it shouldn't take that long, springs and real threads are two of the main things that slow down my drawings.

##Edit## just as a test I opened a 62MB file in v2016, took 16 seconds, so its not necessarily the file size nor complexity but the amount of curved surfaces TC has to work out when opening, springs and threads are two of the main things that slow down my drawings. Even though you have a lot of blended edges 10 minutes seems a touch too long, ##End Edit##
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:04:07 PM by Andy H »

* August 01, 2016, 03:02:58 PM
Hi Andy,

At this stage of the drawing only the "bolt heads" are drawn, I leave the bolt shanks & threads etc until the drawings are near completion, just in case I need to adjust things slightly or a lot.
I found it's the best way for me to do things as I am always changing the design parameters of things as I am working.

Hmm, so it shouldn't be that slow?

Could it be a Ram-Memory thing as I only have 4Gb of Ram?

Cheers
David

* August 01, 2016, 03:08:22 PM
Sorry - I edited my post while you were also typing, if there is nothing inside the object like lots of springs / gears etc, then 10 minutes seems too long.

there are a few things you could try, may or may not make any difference, like copying and pasting into a new blank file, or using save-as to save as a SAT file and then open the sat.

* August 01, 2016, 03:17:35 PM
"Hmm, so it shouldn't be that slow?"

David,
1) acis faceter @ 50
2) try using blocks and or x-ref's
3) switch to GDI mode.
try anyone or all of the above in any order.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

* August 01, 2016, 04:10:46 PM
Thanks Andy & Dean,

Ok, I'll try a few things, in saying that if the file hasn't got a problem as I think Henry was suggesting may be the case, I would have thought that this basic design & start of the design would be handled easily by TC?

I have Multiple Rotors, Shafts, Bearings, Bushes, Housings, Seals, Threaded Holes, Springs, Gears, Gaskets & several other complete mechanisms to add yet, what I have at the moment is about 1/8th of the total drawing or less I would think.

If I have to, I will start over again in a new file & see how it goes, it's no problem & good TC practice.

I have just tried to work on the file just now & it does seem to have an issue, I tried to copy & paste to a new file & it just froze & will not respond again?

Thanks for the help once again.

Cheers
David

* August 01, 2016, 06:07:49 PM
Thanks Andy & Dean,

Ok, I'll try a few things, in saying that if the file hasn't got a problem as I think Henry was suggesting may be the case, I would have thought that this basic design & start of the design would be handled easily by TC?

I have Multiple Rotors, Shafts, Bearings, Bushes, Housings, Seals, Threaded Holes, Springs, Gears, Gaskets & several other complete mechanisms to add yet, what I have at the moment is about 1/8th of the total drawing or less I would think.

If I have to, I will start over again in a new file & see how it goes, it's no problem & good TC practice.

I have just tried to work on the file just now & it does seem to have an issue, I tried to copy & paste to a new file & it just froze & will not respond again?

Thanks for the help once again.

Cheers
David

You might be able to "Extract From" the problem file if it still refuses to respond. Or perhaps you have a .BAK version of the problem file that will open properly. If you can get it to open, try copy-and-pasting just a few objects at a time in the hope of identifying the cause of the problem.

Henry H

* August 01, 2016, 06:29:08 PM
Hi Henry,

You were correct all along, something being corrupt in the file.
After my last post I decided to try to find the cause & started moving everything around to see if I could find anything out of place that may be causing the issue.
I did in fact find the culprit, one of my profiles for some reason has a line associated with it that shouldn't be there & was hidden underneath another object.
When I select the profile the line turns pink as in the attachment & as you move or delete the profile the line does the same.
You cannot however select the line by itself, the computer just chimes when you try to select it & nothing happens.

I deleted this profile & the line deleted with it, I saved a new file, reopened it & it took all of about 8sec to open instead of 10min.
I copied the profile & the line with it & pasted it back into the file & when trying to open it again another 10min past before it would open.

Problem Solved

Thanks, Henry, your previous suggestion prompted me to look further.

Just curios, would you know what could have caused this association between the profile & the line, I don't remember even drawing that line?
I tried exploding the profile to see if I could select the line by itself but that would not work?

Cheers
David
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:30:46 PM by willeng »

* August 01, 2016, 07:15:13 PM
"Just curios, would you know what could have caused this association between the profile & the line"

Evil spirits, I'd say. They appear now and then, to work their mischief.

Henry H

* August 01, 2016, 09:24:35 PM
Hi Again!
Henry,
Yes, evil spirits all right, it's turned into Voodoo at the moment!

It appears I have fixed one issue but now have a real problem?
I redrew the problem profile that was giving trouble but now when I "Join Polyline & click Finish" the profile goes nuts as in the attachment below.

Not sure how to fix this!

Do you think it may be better if I do a reinstall of TC, I have far to many problems at the moment?

Lucky I find it quite amusing & have a good sense of humor but to be honest this is beyond a joke now!

Attached is the three steps to join the Polyline & the end result, I have closed & reopened the program & restarted the computer & tried a different file etc with no luck.

Cheers
David

August 02, 2016, 01:06:30 AM
David,

oh dear!  ;D

Could you post an example file, with your mischievous profile?
Quick guess - looks like workplane, mixed 3d/2D profiles problem.

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 05:46:50 AM by Tim Stewart »

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab.

* August 02, 2016, 04:37:39 AM
Hi Tim,
Thanks for the reply!

I didn't read your post until just now & have already deleted the entire file & uninstalled TC & also just did a clean install of Win 10 to start again, I am having so many problems so I thought a fresh start may help?

I think you may be correct about the workplane, as I was working with that file the workplane was jumping around all over the place this afternoon & changing with nearly every click of the mouse, then it would zoom out fully for no reason with another mouse click?

I will try again in the morning when I have everything reloaded again & see how I go, if I have any issues I will certainly post again.

I have lost a lot of work doing this but that's life I guess.

Thanks Tim

Cheers
David

* August 02, 2016, 05:10:12 AM
Maybe you did have Auto workplane on, the symbol is pretty like the symbol for workplane by facet.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* August 02, 2016, 07:21:30 AM
Hi Again!
Henry,
Yes, evil spirits all right, it's turned into Voodoo at the moment!

It appears I have fixed one issue but now have a real problem?
I redrew the problem profile that was giving trouble but now when I "Join Polyline & click Finish" the profile goes nuts as in the attachment below.

Not sure how to fix this!

Do you think it may be better if I do a reinstall of TC, I have far to many problems at the moment?

Lucky I find it quite amusing & have a good sense of humor but to be honest this is beyond a joke now!

Attached is the three steps to join the Polyline & the end result, I have closed & reopened the program & restarted the computer & tried a different file etc with no luck.

Cheers
David

David, that profile can be drawn as a single Polyline; there's no need to draw it in pieces and then "join" them. Alternatively, even if you do draw it in pieces, there's still no need to "join" them if you enable "Use compound profile" before extruding.

Henry H

* August 02, 2016, 02:03:57 PM
Hi Everyone,

Torfinn,
No, I checked to see if auto workplane was on, no matter what workplane I selected it would not stay selected & changed by itself?
Maybe Auto workplane did not switch off fully?

Henry,
I didn't know you could extrude without joining the Polyline, I will have a look at that, also a single Polyline makes more sense!
Live & Learn!

Thanks Henry!

I am still loading programs & sorting things out at the moment, I will try a few things when the computer is sorted out properly.

Cheers
David

* August 02, 2016, 02:17:36 PM
That was the point Willeng
If auto workplane is on, and you dont pay attention to it, the workplane will jump all over the place, if TC find something at your cursor position it change Automatic, it not ask you, it just do :)
I personally hate that little bugger, but i know some peope like it, preferences i guess.

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* August 02, 2016, 02:27:17 PM
Hi Torfinn,
Yes, I see what you are saying.

The Auto workplane was not highlighted like when it is on, I was caught with it once before & couldn't work out what was going on.
This was acting very strangely, Zooming out by itself & all sorts of weird things happening?

I would Copy & Paste whole objects but only one line would paste etc, a real mess!

Hopefully all this is over & I can get back to it soon.

Thanks Torfinn

Cheers
David

August 03, 2016, 09:35:55 AM
Willeng,

When you see that happen when you join a polyline it is a workplane issue. all you need to do to fix ti is select the objects you wish to join into a polyline and go to Modify-->Place on workplane. Then they will join without distortion. This happens from time to time. It has nothing to do with auto workplane by facet. It's has to do with the way entity workplanes change when you edit something drawn in 2d with the 3d selector and vice versa.

* August 03, 2016, 04:37:07 PM
Hi Travis,

Yes, I watched a video on that topic actually, I tried it but nothing appeared to work correctly with that file for some reason?

Anyway, I have started again fresh with reloading everything including windows & the drawing from scratch & I have never had TC work as quick & cleanly as it is doing at the moment.
I can fillet things it would not touch before, before when I tried to fillet most of the time I was getting a WTF Warning all the time but now it just does it quickly & with no issues.

There is one little area it won't fillet, please see attachment, the area is marked with a red arrow.
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get this one to work, it's not much good posting a file as it is working perfectly everywhere else.
I have tried just about everything including standing on one leg with one eye open while squinting with the other & passing wind all at the same time but that didn't work either?
I would have thought that would work ok?

Apart from that all seems stable at the moment which is very good!

Cheers
David

August 04, 2016, 12:35:22 PM
What's it telling you when you try to fillet that? Is it saying that the solid is degnerated? Sometimes you can fix that by going into the parts tree and fiddling around with the order in which you did things. Sometimes a restart of the software helps too. You may need to recreate that particular little piece there or fillet it prior to adding etc.

Great looking model by the way.

* August 04, 2016, 01:24:42 PM
What's it telling you when you try to fillet that? Is it saying that the solid is degnerated? Sometimes you can fix that by going into the parts tree and fiddling around with the order in which you did things. Sometimes a restart of the software helps too. You may need to recreate that particular little piece there or fillet it prior to adding etc.

Great looking model by the way.

I don't have that particular message in my collection of 83 reasons why Genie can't fillet.

Henry H

* August 04, 2016, 01:31:10 PM
Hi Travis,

Thanks for the reply, I have attached a screenshot of what TC is telling me when trying to fillet that small section.
It did the other side of the Gusset including a mirror of that exact same section on the bottom of the object without an issue with the same size of fillet selected?

Can you do the required blend fillet without adding the pieces together first?
When I do that I get a radius on the Gusset itself & not the Gusset blended to the main body, once added together they will blend with each other?

Cheers
David

August 05, 2016, 08:42:22 AM
Have you tried a smaller radius than desired fillet just as a test to see if it will do it?

Any way you can post the drawing file?

* August 05, 2016, 10:51:21 AM
"Can you do the required blend fillet without adding the pieces together first?"

No, David, you can't fillet the junction between two pieces until they've been added to make a single piece. And you must be sure that there's no gap between them.

Henry H

* August 05, 2016, 02:58:09 PM
Hi Henry,
Yes,
Thank you, that is what I thought!

I feel 83 times better after seeing your list of reasons why TC won't Fillet!

Thanks Henry

Cheers
David
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 03:04:06 PM by willeng »