TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

draw objects referenced to a point
Read 1094 times
* July 14, 2016, 11:48:02 PM
Hello guys

My first post here and very inexperienced on Turbocad and CAD in general - so apologies for asking silly questions.
I've been browsing for hours and managed to do some basic stuff but I need your advise for something that seems pretty basic to me.

I'm drawing some objects in a room and I have their coordinates from a corner of the room. I would think that you can move the origin of the workspace to said corner and just type the x,y coordinates of the objects while you draw them. I understand there are two coordinates systems, world and user. World is fixed, user is not. For the love of me I cannot understand how the UCS works. Most of the user guides mention a "Workspace" menu which is not available anymore in Turbocad 21 (the one I use).

I then thought I could draw an object in my reference point and move the other objects based on that but I'm still struggling.

Any chance someone could help me on this? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Tony

* July 15, 2016, 07:09:55 AM
One way to do it, and the way I do it is as follows. This is the process of 'edit reference point'.  Select all in the drawing, then use keyboard shortcut 'd'. You will see a small hand symbol. Move this symbol to the corner of the room you wish to use a reference point, then mouse click it to that point. With everything still selected, go down to the inspector bar at the bottom of the screen and change Pos X,Y, and Z to 0. Now the position of all objects will be referenced to that 0,0,0 point. Just keep in mind that when you select another object in your drawing, the coordinates shown in the inspector bar will be the location of its reference point, usually the center of the object by default. There is also the 'relative coordinate system' in which you can 'relocate origin', but I have never used that. The following links may help.

https://turbocaddoc.atlassian.net/wiki/display/TC21UG/Components+of+Select+Edit+Mode
https://turbocaddoc.atlassian.net/wiki/display/TC2016UG/Repositioning+Control+Handles+of+the+Selector

TC 21 Deluxe, TC 20 Platinum, TC 2015 Platinum, TC 2016 Platinum, TC 2017 Platinum
i7- 3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz, 16G Crucial Ballistic, ASRock Extreme 4, EVGA 1060 SSC, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

* July 21, 2016, 03:19:31 AM
Hello Jason,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I've done as you suggested and it seems to work, I'll experiment more, thanks!

(I don't have PosZ but I guess this is because I'm in a 2D environment, correct?)

Thanks again
Tony

* July 21, 2016, 06:52:00 AM
Hello Jason,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I've done as you suggested and it seems to work, I'll experiment more, thanks!

(I don't have PosZ but I guess this is because I'm in a 2D environment, correct?)

Thanks again
Tony

Yup. There's a "Toggle 2D/3D" icon on the Inspector Bar. Also, if you click the "Selector 2D Properties" (or "Selector 3D Properties") icon, you'll get a dialog containing a whole bunch of available options appropriate to the current 2D/3D mode.

Henry H