TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

get rid of Lightworks stuff (if not used)
Read 1276 times
* July 13, 2016, 12:33:05 PM
Thought about this for a while and don't think I wished it.

I use RedSDK (not explaining why), but TC is bloated with Lightworks info, I wish IMSI would remove all Lightworks stuff including the info from the material propin.dat file (which is twice the size it needs to be), if I can't use Lightworks it should NOT be put on my computer, everything about Lightworks can be put into TC if one purchased the plug-in, so there is no need for any Lightworks files to be installed on my computer (well apart from v21, v20 etc. etc.

yeh, I know I can delete it myself, but I shouldn't need to.

Thanks ....... Andy

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:35:25 PM by Andy H »

* July 13, 2016, 12:53:40 PM
I really wish you hadn't said that, Andy, 'cuz I'm afraid that now IMSI will do just that and thereby make it even more awkward to use Lightworks.

Henry H

* July 13, 2016, 02:51:08 PM
I have to agree with Henry on this one,Andy  :P

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2016-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21(Best working version,IMHO) Using Lightworks for reliability/stability and testing redsdk, Anilab lab 5, Renditioner Pro V3. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

July 13, 2016, 03:06:46 PM
I too wish that you wouldn't have posted this wish. No need to put these kind of ideas in the minds of the developers as they have already done enough damage over the last two versions.

* July 13, 2016, 03:18:31 PM
Nah, it easy  ;D

Just like AnimationLab, or the Google map tool,  ## Edited out the next bit ##

just thought I'd clarify, I'm not saying get rid of Lightworks - far from it, all I'm saying is if one doesn't have the plug-in, one doesn't need all the installed LW materials or the propin.dat info,   maybe a tick box when installing TC to ask whether one want's to install LW data or not. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:10:18 PM by Andy H »

* July 13, 2016, 04:39:49 PM
Hi Andy,

You know they used to hang people for saying less years ago :)

I don't know much about all this but the big question on my mind is, why change something that works perfectly fine in the first place?
Like the old saying goes, If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

The big problem with Red is that there is not enough info to teach users especially new users about it & I doubt there will be in the near future!
When you talk Lightworks all the heavy hitters jump in with knowledgeable suggestions & tried & true methods that work & this is important.
Talk Red & it's as if you have got the plague or something because there is no or little info available.

For this reason I am thinking of using Lightworks because the database in experienced users heads is huge & we can all learn from this, to learn from Red we have to put in thousands & thousands of hours to get anywhere near the surface of the Lightworks database.

One thing I see with Red that I don't like is that it has that fake appearance about it with renderings, I'm not talking about my bodgey attempts but from looking at what others have achieved so far.
On the Red site there is an engine & transmission & it looks like plastic, if the designers of Red can't make things look real what chance do we have really?

Now have a look at some of the Lightworks renderings, sometimes I think they must cheat & take a picture they are that good! :)

If Red is so good, why aren't the experienced users all over it like a rash, obviously they don't see the light regarding this & prefer something that works & works well.

What is actually the BEST?
Why not run a SERIOUS competition on this forum, Red vs Lightworks where everyone can submit there renderings to actually see what is the best & then IMSI can see which way they should go FOR THE USER!.
One voice will never change the world but many will.

Cheers
David

* July 14, 2016, 04:29:39 AM
What will happen when you open up a past file that had LW materials when you remove all references to LW in the program installation? Will the program just ignore any reference to the LW data in the TCW file? When you save that file, will the previous attached LW data be discarded? Doesn't it even matter if you have no intention of ever using LW?

TC 21 Deluxe, TC 20 Platinum, TC 2015 Platinum, TC 2016 Platinum
i7- 3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz, 16G Crucial Ballistic, ASRock Extreme 4, EVGA GTX 660 SC, Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit