TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

U-Joint & Coupling
Read 2709 times
July 09, 2016, 04:48:41 PM
This is something I did for fun. It is not meant to be real-world accurate so if you see something that is not mechanically sound it need not be pointed out.

I made a video to illustrate the creation of the u-joint portion of the assembly. I used two methods, one a little more complex and the second, quite simple. I realized the second was much easier at one point while I was recording the session.

To view the video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qiHuNxgQW0&feature=youtu.be

I continue to use RedSDK native draw, even though so many more issues are encountered than with GDI and I have used LightWorks for rendering.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 05:24:27 PM by Don Cheke »

* July 10, 2016, 08:58:35 AM
Most excellent Don! Thanks for posting...

* July 10, 2016, 02:06:15 PM
Hi Don,

Excellent tutorial demonstrating the use of various tools to create the U Joint, thanks for sharing this & taking the time to do it.

The render looks nice, I noticed you mentioned the use of Lightworks!
Could I be a total pain in the butt & ask that if you have the time, could you possibly show a rendering of the same but with RedSDK as a comparison?.
I am really interested to see the differences as I am yet to decide which way to go, obviously being a newbie I am not experienced enough to attempt a comparison myself which makes the decision of Lightworks or RedSDK hard to make or justify if you get what I mean.

Only if it's no trouble Don, I certainly don't want to interrupt what you are doing & it's no problem if you don't have the time, I'm just interested that's all.

Thanks again Don, much appreciated!

Cheers
David

* July 10, 2016, 02:26:47 PM
really nice job on the coupling Don, and for the interesting video.

July 10, 2016, 05:03:25 PM
Hi Don,

Excellent tutorial demonstrating the use of various tools to create the U Joint, thanks for sharing this & taking the time to do it.

The render looks nice, I noticed you mentioned the use of Lightworks!
Could I be a total pain in the butt & ask that if you have the time, could you possibly show a rendering of the same but with RedSDK as a comparison?.
I am really interested to see the differences as I am yet to decide which way to go, obviously being a newbie I am not experienced enough to attempt a comparison myself which makes the decision of Lightworks or RedSDK hard to make or justify if you get what I mean.

Only if it's no trouble Don, I certainly don't want to interrupt what you are doing & it's no problem if you don't have the time, I'm just interested that's all.

Thanks again Don, much appreciated!

Cheers
David

Original image is first (LightWorks)

The second is with RedSDK. It took a long time to render save and I needed to brighten it up slightly with Photoshop. I don't deny that one can get decent enough renders with RED but they take a lot of work and patience. RED is also more limited than LightWorks.

The third is with Fusion 360. It was very easy to apply materials (all default ones) and the scene was easy as well. It has some functions that would serve RED well (and LightWorks too). Fusion is free as long as you earn less than $100K a year using it commercially. The rendering is longer than LightWorks but less than RED. Can only save locally at 72dpi at one's screen size. That sucks.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 05:08:30 AM by Don Cheke »

* July 10, 2016, 06:46:43 PM
Hi Don,
Thanks so much for taking the time to do that, it's much appreciated!
After a quick glance, Hmm, now that makes it hard as each has it own merits & seems to totally depend on user preferences?

I'll have to have a closer look at them all, it will be interesting to see what others think as well?

Thanks Don, your a champion for doing that!

Cheers
David

July 12, 2016, 08:06:56 AM
Don,

great illustration of an important component, which is often misunderstood and neglected, as it usually resides in out-of-the-way places.
Love the grease nipple - very retro!
The Lightworks version does it for me.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab.

July 15, 2016, 12:03:32 AM
They all look great renders Don.

I personally like the RedSDK one, maybe because it looks sharper and has slight imperfections in the paint...

Daz...
V2018 64-Bit & 32 Bit Platinum Edition
RedSDK Only in 64 bit & 32 bit = RedSDK & Lightworks
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.
OS Windows10 Pro 64bit Lenovo W701 Laptop, 24GB Ram, 2 x 128 SSD harddrives, NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics, Intel i7 CPU...

* July 15, 2016, 07:49:37 AM
All the renders look great, not surprisingly coming from an expert such as you. Although the LW has a fine polished look to the paint finish, the RED finish looks a little more realistic. As Darrel pointed out, the slight imperfections makes the paint finish 'real world' spray painted look (Fresnel reflection?).

TC 21 Deluxe, TC 20 Platinum, TC 2015 Platinum, TC 2016 Platinum, TC 2017 Platinum
i7- 3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz, 16G Crucial Ballistic, ASRock Extreme 4, EVGA 1060 SSC, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

August 05, 2016, 01:34:52 PM
Very nicely done, Don.

I am impressed with the highlighted detail with nary a bit of washouts.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1