TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Connecting Rods
Read 3305 times
* June 24, 2016, 04:41:50 AM
Hi Everybody,

Just finished designing some Connecting Rods, thought I would attach them.

On the sides of the connecting rod beams the edges are sharp but I couldn't work out how to get a small radius fillet on them in Deluxe, I tried many things?
I got the most of the design fairly ok, can I fillet the edges on the rod beams somehow in Deluxe without ruining things?

If not can the Pro version put a fillet on them easily enough, like most things it's not right until it's right!

Any hints & advice are very welcome!

Cheers
David
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:46:21 AM by willeng »

June 24, 2016, 05:02:20 AM
David,

I can't help you with Deluxe - sorry - but they look very capable (2-stroke?) rods.   8)
Shame your design efforts might be hidden away, when the engine is complete.
Such is life!   :)

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab.

* June 24, 2016, 05:12:02 AM
Hi Tim,
Yep, 2 stroke rods.
The thing about connecting rods is that you never want to see them, out the side of the engine that is :)

No problem about Deluxe, someone may be able to offer up something!

Cheers
David

* June 24, 2016, 08:15:58 AM
Hi Everybody,

Just finished designing some Connecting Rods, thought I would attach them.

On the sides of the connecting rod beams the edges are sharp but I couldn't work out how to get a small radius fillet on them in Deluxe, I tried many things?
I got the most of the design fairly ok, can I fillet the edges on the rod beams somehow in Deluxe without ruining things?

If not can the Pro version put a fillet on them easily enough, like most things it's not right until it's right!

Any hints & advice are very welcome!

Cheers
David

Very nicely done, David. Unfortunately it's usually not practical to fillet any but the very simplest edges in Deluxe. Easy in Pro, however, provided that the objects are created as Solids. (importing a Surface created in Deluxe into Pro and converting to a Solid produces a mess more often than not.)

Henry H

* June 24, 2016, 11:49:28 AM
Nice work,  I totally agree with Henry, I had a go in v16 deluxe (the only one I have), and doing the edge wasn't bad, but doing the middle - well I lost count of the amount of 'self intersections' I had and its still not right.

For a simple ' sort of ' fillet one can use a profile rail swept, (chamfers are easier) but in deluxe the results can often be disappointing due to the faceting, the attached is just for the edge..

* June 24, 2016, 12:27:32 PM
Hi Everyone,

Henry,
Thanks for the comment, I see what your saying with the Deluxe version & the limitations.
I am seriously thinking about buying the Pro version, just have to suck up to my beautiful wife a bit more yet :(

Andy,
Thanks for the comment, the file & the time taken for the File, I see how you have done it & it has given me some more idea's.
Back to the computer.

Thanks again for the comments!

Cheers
David

June 25, 2016, 06:55:20 PM
Very Nice, prettiest rods I've seen.

RMc____
In preparing for battle, planning is essential, but plans are useless . . . Dwight David Eisenhower
v 19.2 Pro Platinum 64 bit
v 14.2 Pro
Turbo Floor Plan Pro v 15
Windows 10 x 64 Home

* June 25, 2016, 07:27:39 PM
Hi McSlash,
Thanks for the comment.

Cheers
David

July 05, 2016, 02:15:59 PM
Impressive render. Especially for Deluxe and RedSDK too right? Likin' the look of that RedStuff!

My only suggestion for the fillets is something you probably thought of already and that's to actually draft a solid that when removed from the edge will create a fillet and then subtract it from the solid. Pretty painstaking but in Deluxe it's pretty much the only way.

Seriously though this render is really nice.

* July 06, 2016, 12:44:47 PM
Hi Travis,
Thanks for the comment but I am a little confused, I thought that the Deluxe version I have 21.2 uses LightWorks for rendering & only Surfaces not Solids.

Maybe I am totally Wrong?

Cheers
David

July 07, 2016, 01:40:39 PM
Oh you have 21.2? My bad. I thought you were on 2016.

It does only do surfaces but you can still create a surface to subtract from the edge in order to get a fillet.

* July 08, 2016, 12:44:49 AM
Hi Travis,
No problem, I have recently made the move to the Pro version, which may have confused you!

Cheers
David

July 08, 2016, 07:48:25 AM
Oh, well if you have Pro 2016 you've got all kinds of fancy options for filleting 3D edges then!