TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Advice Required!
Read 1317 times
* July 04, 2016, 05:23:45 PM
Hi Everyone,
I have been attempting to get a Chrome Material & the Lighting correct just for an exercise, for learning basically!

I find that the more I look at something the worse it appears to be so I wanted to get some advice on what I have been testing & also if in fact it looks remotely realistic to others?.
I have attached a picture of an unfinished project with my new chrome material & lighting, does this appear to be respectable?

It has taken me many hours to get this far, I seem to be making some headway but like mentioned the more I look the worse it appears to be?

I would rather people be honest & if you think it sucks then say so, I would!

Any suggestion are more than welcome, good or bad, I can handle it!

Cheers
David
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 06:05:19 PM by willeng »

* July 04, 2016, 06:41:21 PM
Actually, David, that material looks very good. The object itself would look more natural if there were a background (or Environment) for it to reflect, plus something to set it on, plus maybe one or two additonal objects to be reflected. After adding all those refinements, you may want to change the basic color of the material -- or maybe not; it's hard to predict. In my experience, it is surprisingly difficult to create a realistic-looking "metal" material.

Henry H

* July 04, 2016, 07:32:49 PM
Hi Henry,

Yes, I see what you mean.
After you mentioning things it is quite obvious now that I am not reflecting anything to enhance the look of the material!
I'll keep at it, it's all very interesting!

Thanks for the advice Henry!

Cheers
David
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 07:46:14 PM by willeng »

* July 22, 2016, 12:46:21 PM

David to me that look pretty dam good, Im viewing by tablet alone.

David & Henry, I presume this image uses some focused lighting, am I right? In my drawings I like to use
similar colours but I've never had success like that chrome. The problem I get where the focused light illuminates
the desired object always distorts other objects clarity.

Therefore can this be overcome by discreetly illuminating just one object?
An example would be trying to show an output shaft off a motor ( shiny metal ), whereas the drive sprocket is a
darker colour and the motor housing might be black or alumnium finish.

Thanks

Daz
TCW V21, 2016-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5 & LightWorks rendering mostly.

* July 22, 2016, 01:04:37 PM

David to me that look pretty dam good, Im viewing by tablet alone.

David & Henry, I presume this image uses some focused lighting, am I right? In my drawings I like to use
similar colours but I've never had success like that chrome. The problem I get where the focused light illuminates
the desired object always distorts other objects clarity.

Therefore can this be overcome by discreetly illuminating just one object?
An example would be trying to show an output shaft off a motor ( shiny metal ), whereas the drive sprocket is a
darker colour and the motor housing might be black or alumnium finish.

Thanks

Illuminating just one object sounds tricky. You could experiment with a Spotlight, but I think I'd use different materials instead.

Henry H

* July 22, 2016, 02:05:17 PM
Hi Darryl,

I'm afraid I can't suggest anything about Lighting or Rendering etc at this stage as it is all new to me as well.
The best advice I can give regarding this is to read & take note of what Henry & others say about this subject, there's more to it than meets the eye I believe.

Sorry I can't help with this!

Cheers
David
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 02:17:13 PM by willeng »