Author Topic: controlling print order dashed vs solid lines, and line proximity  (Read 1749 times)

davedbk

Is there a way fine tuning print results pertaining to these matters....??

Sometimes a drafting palette view or a viewport will give preference to a hidden line over a solid line in a hidden line render when there is one or more above the other.  I don't care about it looking that way in paperspace but it needs to print out solid.

Is there a smart function that doesn't print hidden lines that are below other hidden lines or in extremely close proximity to them. Multiple hidden lines can print solid and thick.

Thanks,
davedbk
David Knowling
Windows 7 Pro 64, TC16.2.54.0

Rod Cole

Re: controlling print order dashed vs solid lines, and line proximity
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 08:43:40 AM »
I was hoping that some of the more experienced users of TC would weigh in on this topic because it is a concern of mine as well.

I take it that the issue is mostly when the view is perpendicular to rectangular geometry such as in an orthographic or 2D view of a 3D model.  In TC that is a tough one.  What I have been doing is making sure that everything that may be causing the problem is on a separate layer and turned off.  I expect that you have already tried that.

The real issue here is what I believe is refered to as line merging.  The program that we love to hate does this.  What I do is to save the file out as a DWG and set the view as hidden with hidden lines as dashed.  Set up a DXB printer and print to file.  Open or import the DXB and scale the geometry then save as a DWG and you have a clean 2D view of the model that you can insert back into TC.  Those are the basic hoops that I have been the jumping  through to resolve this issue.  This is something I have just figured out how to do recently.  I have only tried it a few times so far, but the results were satisfactory.

This is something that I would like to see put on the wish list for further improvement in TC.  A print routine that will show hidden lines as dashed and print a file that actually produces a separate line with a dashed line style  "not a bunch of separate short lines" and merge the lines as well.  Non renderable Items such as dimensions should be able to print to this file as well.  Since I am on a roll, how about this file be a DWG so we can use it any way that we want.

If there is a way to do this in TC now I would certainly like to know about it.
TC V19 Pro Platinum  Win 7 Professional

davedbk

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:18:04 PM »
Wow Rod - it's seems to be giving you much more grief than myself.

As it is so far infrequent, I either:

- draw a solid line over the anomoly in paperspace, or
- in the case of a drafting pallette view, explode it and manually change the line type.

...as line merging. The program that we love to hate does this.

I'm not sure that it does. Don't other programs just print every line? If there's a solid line, that's all you'll see?

A print routine that will show hidden lines as dashed and print a file that actually produces a separate line with a dashed line style  "not a bunch of separate short lines"

I'm finding that functionality in viewports and the drafting palette views.  They're not working for you as required?

Cheers,
davedbk
David Knowling

John R

• Beta Tester
  • Royal Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 11:23:22 AM »
Would layer "Order" help here? Place what you want to print on a layer whose "Order" number is higher than the objects that are messing things up. Somewhat similar to using "Bring to Front" and "Send to Back".
John R.

V17, V18, V19, V20, V21
Designer, Deluxe, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Vista 64-bit SP2

davedbk

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 05:15:13 PM »
Would layer "Order" help here?

It may help in some cases, but in my situation it's a HL render of a block containing 8 or so solids that's not outputting properly. I'm already in deep with layers as part of my assembly control, so I wouldn't want to add another 'level' of layers to take care of this.

David Knowling

Rod Cole

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 08:11:24 PM »
John

Would layer order help here?

The problem is that it is most often the far side of the same entity that is the culprit, so layers would not help in this situation.

If you were to put a surface between the unwanted lines it would not help because that doesn't change the fact that they are still hidden lines.  If you slice and remove the offending lines, you just create new ones in there place.

I do believe that line merging technology is the solution here.  I was using FastCAD 3D when it came out in 1990 or 91.  The more complex the model, the more issues of this type emerged.  Evolution Computing's solution was to dump all of the lines into a file and let you clean it up.  Kind of like pick up sticks.  That is when I tried AC, and it really worked.

I have since moved on to more automated modeling systems, with even more complex models.  There is no way I want to play pick up sticks with these models.  I have been exporting the geometry into TC and using the solid tools to edit the models, which works great.  This leaves me with the need to get a clean and accurate 2D DWG file of the views that I need back into the original system.

My issue is not just with printing within TC, there are times when that is exactly what needs to be done.  There are also times when the real need is to place the work that is done in TC back into the original programs print facility.

John R

• Beta Tester
  • Royal Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 03:52:18 AM »
It seemed like a possibility, as it hadn't been mentioned.
John R.

V17, V18, V19, V20, V21
Designer, Deluxe, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Vista 64-bit SP2

Rod Cole

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 07:55:33 AM »
I appreciated the input John.  Sorry if it came off sounding otherwise.  This has just been a very frustrating situation to deal with.

Layer order just might work in some situations, I will give it a try.  Turning any offending layers off can also help in some situations.  The rub comes when doing a world view of 3D rectangular members such as framing in an architectural application.

I also tried printing to PDF and converting to DWG, but that made it even worse because it separated the lines rather than superimposing them.  I haven't tried it yet, but that might actually make it a little easier to edit out the unwanted lines.  I was just hoping to find a way to not have to do so much editing and still keep the work in TC.