TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

What is your SDK development environment/language of choice?
Read 16109 times
* May 27, 2009, 08:44:52 AM
I'd like to get some idea of what languages are most commonly being used with the TurboCAD SDK. I expect the most likely candidates are the following (in no particular order):

1) VB6
2) Visual Basic 2005/8 (including Express versions)
3) Visual C# 2005/8 (including Express versions)
4) Visual C++ 6.0
5) Visual C++ 2005/8 (including Express versions)
6) VBScript
7) Delphi (any version)
8) C++ Builder (any version)

So, what are you using (or planning to use) with the TurboCAD SDK? I'd really like to know, even if it's something not on the list above. It could affect the structure and content of the documentation.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:30:01 AM by kchapman »

* May 27, 2009, 10:50:59 AM
Borland Delphi D2007 and D7

Some work planned for the SDK. BOM etc.

WillR
SW:TC 21 Pro Platinum, FM15, 20 Pro Platinum 64 Bit, also V 19.1 64Bit & 32 bit 17.2 and 18.1; Furniture Maker 14 and 10. HW: Vista 64 Ultimate, AMD 1090 (6 core) 8GB memory Plus also an AMD  8 core systemFX

* May 27, 2009, 12:43:03 PM
Ah, thanks. I don't have D7, but if I recall correctly most of the COM stuff has changed very little since D6. So Delphi 2007 code samples should be quite applicable even to D7 (projects are another matter, of course).

* May 27, 2009, 01:49:53 PM
Is it unrealistic to ask that VB5 be supported? I own that but really squirm at the thought of spending many hundreds  for VB6.

Henry H

* May 27, 2009, 11:23:55 PM
I prefer VBA
best: within Turbocad
second best: to use it from excel or word.

Bernd

* May 28, 2009, 08:00:04 AM
Is it unrealistic to ask that VB5 be supported?
While I won't be making any specific references to VB5, as best I recall it should work very much the same as VB6, though you may have to re-create any VB6 project files using VB5.

*added later* Also, Visual Basic Express 2008 is free for the downloading. Granted, it's quite a bit different from classic VB, but the price is definitely right.

I prefer VBA
Unfortunately VBA is quite costly. I don't think we'll be including it with TurboCAD in the future, unless the licensing changes dramatically.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:41:53 AM by kchapman »

* May 28, 2009, 09:10:33 AM
Visual Studio Express has great potential in my opinion, and probably the VB module facet has the greatest number of on-line tutorials. Next the Visual C# module , and finally  the Visual C++ module for those who want concise and faster execution code.

Further information for those interested in Visual Studio Express :-

Please click on link >> Visual Studio Express Modules

If Delphi examples are used, I would go for the personal edition, which is very cheap to purchase, but does not have the database components, so a third party database control would need to be used.

Writing code examples for the Delphi personal edition will still allow full functionality for the more enhanced or complete versions.

* May 28, 2009, 09:45:25 AM
If Delphi examples are used, I would go for the personal edition

There's a free Turbo version of Delphi 2006 that is also available:
https://downloads.embarcadero.com/free/turbodelphi

This will probably be the basis of any Delphi examples that I provide. Aside from minor details, such as which modules to add to the uses clause, COM usage has changed very little over the last several versions of Delphi, so any examples for Turbo Delphi 2006 would be largely applicable to Delphi 6 and 7 as well.

My intent is to provide at least a few sample projects for all of the languages listed, but the most comprehensive coverage will likely be for the Microsoft languages. I am rather fond of Delphi, though; it is encouraging to see the level of interest it is getting here.

* May 28, 2009, 12:54:19 PM
Thanks for the link to the Turbo Delphi 2006 download Kevan. I have downloaded it , and will give it a try in the next couple of days.

I will have to brush up my Pascal syntax !!.

* May 28, 2009, 03:52:57 PM
You're quite welcome.

Note that the Turbo version doesn't allow you to import type libraries from the IDE. You'll have to use tlibimp from the command line to generate a unit from the IMSIGX16 dll file.

* May 31, 2009, 12:53:25 PM
I also prefer VBA. I still use version 9 and haven't upgraded because VBA was dropped. For a non-programmer I found it easy to create many simple time savers.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:02:39 PM by enzof »

June 03, 2009, 09:28:49 AM
Except for a simple attempt many years ago, I haven't tried to program anything in TCAD:  but I have written lots of programs for Excel, using their VBA.

The huge problem with VBA is that it changes every year or so, and the changes are not backward compatible.

When you write a macro, you do it quickly so as to get something done.  It relies on all those myriad of internal methods and properties, and so why document anything?  Except that a year later, they've all been changed and now the macro doesn't work.

Also, in VBA it is always possible to do any given action in one line of code, and always impossible to find out what that line should be, until someone brighter and more au-fait comes along and makes you feel stupid by telling you.  In other words it has been exploded in complexity and arbitrariness.

Whatever IMSI does, it MUST have domumentation that answers "How do I do xxx", NOT "This is what yyy does".  The problem is that I have no idea that yyy even exists, let alone what it's called, so there's no way I can find it.  Searching through help is usually just an exercise in frustration, since even if yyy exists, it is not described in the way I'm thinking about it.

It's one thing to provide a programming environment to people who are planning to spend their lives working with it, quite another for the casual user.  This is what Msoft forgot with VBA.

Roland

Roland Aldridge
Windows 7 ultimate, Core i7 3.07GHz, 4 cores, 9G memory GEForce GTX 285

* June 05, 2009, 04:30:57 PM
Those are good points, Roland. It is my hope to make the SDK fairly approachable even for non-programmers, at least for some of the simpler tasks.

* June 30, 2009, 04:42:34 AM
VC++2005/2008

* August 13, 2009, 02:13:30 PM
Hello TC forums,

I started with TC ver 2 and stayed with TC up to version 12.
I used the scripting extensively to import external data points (ASCII text file) into the drawings.  I started with 'enable basic' in the early versions and then moved into VBA.  Without VBA, I have not been able to use TC, so quit upgrading as of version 12.
I also tried using TurboLisp commands in the early versions of TC, with limited success.

It is possible to create scripts with VB, but my ability to troubleshoot VB script, within TC, is very limited.

I don't mind what scripting language TC chooses, as long as it is well-documented.  I struggled to learn / use the VBA commands, as they were poorly documented and examples were limited.

If TC does not get a scripting language by version 17, I will not upgrade at all.

Regards,

Scott

* December 08, 2009, 11:18:10 AM
Does anyone know what program I should buy that is easy to use and quick to program with?  Years ago, I used GWBasic.  I am sure there is a learning curve, but what would be best?

* December 08, 2009, 04:30:25 PM
Does anyone know what program I should buy that is easy to use and quick to program with?

VBScript is free, and doesn't require any fancy development environment.

Visual Basic 2008 Express is also free, and has the built-in object browser which lets you browse the SDK type libraries and makes programming a lot easier than VBScript. VB Express 2008 will let you go a long way with the SDK.

* January 13, 2010, 02:58:56 AM
Hi cdevans

I used vba within TC a lot. This is no longer possible.
So I bought a used version of Visual Basic at ebay.
To use VB6 has the enormous advantage, that I can use my old macrocode. (that is not possible in VB2005 or VB2008, or VB-Net)
With VB6 Standard-Edition I can create  .exe-files. To start the .exe I have to integrate them into the internet-palette (or start them from the windows-explorer).
To buy VB6 Standard was 25 € ~ 35 US$
This solution works fine to me for the most macros.

Staring macros as an .exe, the macros run much slowlier then starting them from vba within TC.
They run slowly like starting them from e.g. excel-vba.
For more time-consuming procedures I need to get a VB6 Professional-Edition. That is necessary to create .dll (that run appr. 100 to 1000 times faster. Run as fast as starting them from vba within TC).

best regards
Bernd

P.S. Microsoft announced, that VB6 will work with Win7 (at least for the next 10 Years)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:29:46 AM by ibruethsch »

* January 16, 2010, 05:02:49 AM
Hi kchapman,

glad to see that there still is a person in charge ;-)

I foresee a need for me to add some plug-ins to my TC14.2 (Build 59), and (for other reasons) may have to use MS C++ Express 2005.

Last time I looked the SDK doku (the "compile HTML" help file) was
a) old (29.07.2002)
b) tiny (885 kB)
c) useless, as the reference is empty.

Is there something else available? PDF preferred, and no online stuff (no network in the workshop!)

Have fun, make swarf

* January 23, 2010, 01:09:54 PM
I use FPC and Lazarus. All works fine. It is OpenSource!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 01:12:16 PM by hotzenplotz »

* March 26, 2010, 06:15:15 PM
Thanks for working on the TC SDK Doc. I have downloaded VB 2008 Express. I now have "VB Basic 2008 Express Programming" and already had "Learn Microsoft VBScript" both by Jerry Ford. I decided on VB Express because I also use 3D Canvas for modelling in FSX. (Flight Simulator X). Wanted to learn just one programming language. 25 year's ago, I was learning Comal on the C64 and Amiga computer's. The good old day's. Tried to learn C, but give up.

TC 2017 Plat. x32 / x64 (LightWorks)
Win 10 Pro 64.
i7-3770 16 GB. Ram.
Nivda GeForce GTX 970 4 GB.

* March 26, 2010, 08:43:13 PM
Just downloaded the updated TC SDK Doc Kevin, you have been busy.  I have not had time of late , with so many other things that I have had to do , but hope to pick up on my programming side with Turbocad again soon.

Major improvement Kevin, with lots of new information.

Many thanks for your efforts, and it will not be wasted once a few of the old programmers start to pick up the threads again.

Mike Geraghty.

March 28, 2010, 12:04:58 PM
Great work on the SDK and docs Kevan. Certainly a big improvement. I'm looking forward to working with with it. Hopefully some C++.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

* April 17, 2010, 09:53:23 AM
As I have noted in my other posts I prefer to do tool development in Excel VBA.  The majority of my TurboCad automation involves usage of data stored in Excel spreadsheets.  I use the custom toolbar button feature of Excel (look at "Button" in Excel Help) to start my most commonly used SubRoutenes.  The less commonly used SubRoutenes I start from within the VBA Editor.

While the examples I have posted have startup buttons on the spreadsheet, I do not use them in my own work.

When I need a custom toolbar button to fire from TurboCad.  I debug the code using Excel VBA and the code a custom tool using VB6.  The resultant DLL gets places in the TurboCad Draggers directory.

* August 11, 2010, 07:05:42 PM
That was a great help....Thanks alot....

* November 05, 2010, 09:12:03 PM
I have been interested in the SDK developement environment for a while now, but have been undecide as to which language to use.

Years ago I had some qbasic. and recently took a class on VB.net.  I have been reluctant to jump in because I have been trying to find a language that I could focus on that would meet my programing needs in various applications.

I mostly use Chief Architect and TurboCAD for my cad applications.  I also am intersted in doing some of my own web automation.  The language that makes the most sense for my needs is Ruby.  I have been following somewhat the development of Iron Ruby by MS.

I don't really understand how this all works, but it is my understanding that I could use Iron Ruby to somehow create a .net program.  A lot of pieces seem to be falling into place that would make Ruby an ideal user friendly language to learn because it is being implemented by so many application these days, Chief Architect inclueded.

Hopefully someone could fill me in as to whether I am barking up the wrong tree, or if Iron Ruby is worth pursueing where TurboCAD is concerned.

TC V21 Pro Platinum  Win 7 Professional

* November 09, 2010, 01:07:10 AM
Hello
I still prefer vb6 and vba within TC.
I managed to use vba within TC in Win7 prof 64 bit environment.

But I also do progress in my ability to use AutoIT. This is reliable in using sendcommands to different windows. Its easy to learn, very vivid community and its public domain.

Best regards

December 18, 2010, 05:20:12 PM
I use the VB Script with v14, and still use VBA w/ v9 on the old win2k box, but was wondering if Python with it's free compiler, could be used for SDK dev.
Blender uses Python as well as other 3d graphics packages, but I never tried it.

Take Care
Craig
Using TurboCAD v18.2; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz;<BR>Win 7 ProSp1; 6GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM; EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
DeviantArt Gallery @ http://crag-dolomite.deviantart.com/gallery
TurboCAD Animators @ http://www.vimeo.com/channelTCAnim