TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

View names sometimes don't show in viewport properties
Read 3081 times
* March 27, 2016, 08:08:44 AM
I have noticed that sometimes the "View Name" does not appear in the Properties>Viewport dialogue box for a selected viewport in paperspace, even though the viewport shows up fine in paperspace.   

Is that normal?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:10:29 AM by nadsab »

* March 29, 2016, 05:11:43 PM
I have noticed that sometimes the "View Name" does not appear in the Properties>Viewport dialogue box for a selected viewport in paperspace, even though the viewport shows up fine in paperspace.   

Is that normal?

No.  Grayed-out is normal-- when "Fixed" scale is ticked.  But otherwise, no, not normal.  At least not through version-21.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* April 14, 2016, 10:29:52 AM
I am wondering what would cause this then? 

I am getting the same problem in TC Pro Platinum as I did in Deluxe.  On occasion the layer name does not show up in the properties window.  The drop down for View Name is empty and grayed out...

Can anyone else duplicate this?

* April 14, 2016, 11:46:17 AM
as Alvin says you can't choose a viewport if fixed scale is on. Turn it off choose your viewport then go out of properties and set the scale.
Or you can use the selection info palette to change the viewport for some reason it works differently.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:51:46 AM by nikkipollard »

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* April 14, 2016, 12:11:23 PM
Ah - I see all the viewports now - I missed that part that thingy about fixed scale.

The problem though - if I turn off Fixed scale - I can see a list of views I created and choose a new view.  That's great

BUT...how do I know which view I am looking at? 

In other words, if I created two or three dozen views, and then I turn off the scale in properties, I can now see a list of all of the views from which to choose....but what I want to know, is what is the name of the current view in paper space I have selected?

I don't always want to change the viewport - I just want to see what view number I am looking at...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 12:20:52 PM by nadsab »

* April 14, 2016, 12:19:47 PM
SInce you brought this up Nikki, I found something else here -

I have a different drawing in which a viewport has the scale set to Fixed.  However - the view port name does in fact show in properties.....
however, the view name can not be changed...

Alvin and I were referring not to actually choosing a viewport - but rather seeing the actual name of the selected viewport in the properties window...

So apparently, if fixed scale is clicked to on - sometimes you can see the view name, other times not...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 12:42:00 PM by nadsab »

* April 14, 2016, 05:44:56 PM
SInce you brought this up Nikki, I found something else here -

I have a different drawing in which a viewport has the scale set to Fixed.  However - the view port name does in fact show in properties.....
however, the view name can not be changed...

Alvin and I were referring not to actually choosing a viewport - but rather seeing the actual name of the selected viewport in the properties window...

So apparently, if fixed scale is clicked to on - sometimes you can see the view name, other times not...

Good point.  In version-20PP, I couldn't figure out the answer.  I thought I would be able to; but not.
That's buggy.  I've been bugged by it before; but have always been in a hurry and haven't experimented with it.

The only thing I've found is to:  Close the Drawing; re-Open; then check for that View Name.  Too tedious and time-consuming.

I think what TurboCAD is "saying" is:  Once you've clicked on "Fixed", you have no longer selected a Named View.  You're free-wheelin' it-- until you again select a Named View."  Or something to that extent.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* April 14, 2016, 07:10:38 PM
Thanks Alvin - so I guess it could be defined as a bug, depending on what one's definition of bug is.

The reason why this is a problem for me and maybe others - sometimes I create a few dozen views in model space, then I create a viewport in paperspace.  Sometimes I want to go back to a particular view in modelspace - so I look at paperspace to see what the view is, and sometimes I can not do that if the view name is missing from the properties window of that view, so I have to scroll through all the view names in model space to find it.

It's kind of an annoyance.

* April 15, 2016, 03:33:18 AM
did you try the selection info palette?
For some reason they work differently.
with the selection info palette on you can see when the view name disappears.
It seems to happen when you change settings of the viewport by right clicking properties
for instance when you go from wire frame to hidden. you can change these settings via the selection info palette with out it disappearing

« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:53:48 AM by nikkipollard »

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* April 15, 2016, 05:06:26 AM
Thanks Alvin - so I guess it could be defined as a bug, depending on what one's definition of bug is.

The reason why this is a problem for me and maybe others - sometimes I create a few dozen views in model space, then I create a viewport in paperspace.  Sometimes I want to go back to a particular view in modelspace - so I look at paperspace to see what the view is, and sometimes I can not do that if the view name is missing from the properties window of that view, so I have to scroll through all the view names in model space to find it.

It's kind of an annoyance.

Two workaround suggestions:

1)  Use Floating Modelspace in Paperspace [Model Space (Floating)].  If doing so-- and intending to do some zooming in or out and/or moving the Camera around while working-- you might want to Lock the Scale and Camera in the Viewport/Viewport page first.

2)  In the Viewport, in the Viewport->Properties->Camera page, take a screen-capture of that page, using Windows Snipping Tool or something.  Then, back in Modelspace, enter all the same Camera values (Position; Target Point; Up) in the Camera Properties.

Tedious... I know.  That's why they're called "workarounds".

Alvin Gregorio

* April 15, 2016, 09:13:13 PM
or use the selection info palette to change things and not properties.that way the name wont disappear.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* April 16, 2016, 05:26:16 AM
or use the selection info palette to change things and not properties.that way the name wont disappear.

Thanks Nikki.  I missed that bit of advice when you posted it earlier in the thread.
Now, to break an habitual way of doing it...

Doesn't work for me-- in version-20PP.  That's okay.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 06:32:28 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* May 25, 2016, 03:31:56 PM

Can the selection info palette also be used to correct the problem of drawings that no longer show the view names of viewports?

Because I have HUNDREDS of drawings with this problem...

I have never used the selection info palette - if I want to edit a viewport - I have always done that in the viewport palette - seems logical to edit viewports in the viewport palette...