TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Independent layer visibility toggling needed...modelspace and paperspace...
Read 3145 times
* May 25, 2016, 09:25:11 AM
It would seem that one should be able to toggle off any layer in Modelspace, and turn on layers in Paperspace - in viewports - independently.  It just does not work that way.

Once I set up a viewport with selected layers, if I want to shut off layers in modelspace, the layers also shut off in Paperspace.  It's always a pain.  Is there a work around for this?

My only other workaround is making multiple copies of the same components and putting them on separate layers which is a pain...it makes my file size and drawing huge...

If one has 20 or 30 different parts or components in modelspace - it causes waste in time...

TC should be upgraded so any toggling of layers in modelspace does not affect viewports in Paperspace.

* May 25, 2016, 09:32:07 AM
Override layers visibility is maybe what you want, checkbox under View/Visible layers inside the SI pallete
Graphic and Category in Design Director is also a Nice tool to hide stuff

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* May 25, 2016, 09:43:35 AM
In Selection Info Palette Options?  I am not seeing it...

* May 25, 2016, 09:50:48 AM
There is an "Override Layers Visibility" checkbox in the viewport palette, but that does nothing...

* May 25, 2016, 09:52:23 AM
In my opinion - layer visibility toggling linkage between paperspace and modelspace should be completely broken for the next version. 

If you draw something in modelspace, one should be able to independently switch visibility on and off in either paperspace within the viewports, or modlespace - without toggling in one space affecting the toggling in the other space.

JMHO.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 01:11:31 PM by nadsab »

* May 25, 2016, 10:23:29 AM
Have you tried layer sets

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* May 25, 2016, 10:43:17 AM
I don't see the value in it.  All I seem to be able to do is create a new layer set - from there - there is apparently little this is good for - and the TC manual is extremely scant on the subject.

* May 25, 2016, 10:47:42 AM
There is an "Override Layers Visibility" checkbox in the viewport palette, but that does nothing...

It control it here on my machine at least :)

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* May 25, 2016, 10:54:45 AM
OK I am not sure what I am looking at here in your screen shot.

I hope the developers or some of the higher ups at IMSI read my post here.  It would seem, that if one toggles on or off a layer in a viewport in Paperspace, that the layer should actually "turn on" or "turn off"- in Paperspace - regardless of what is going on in Modlespace?  Or is that too much to ask?  This has been bugging me for over three years.

It makes sense and is logical anyway...

You turn on and off a layer in modelspace, and the  layer actually turns on and off - regardless of what is going on in Paperspace. 

It would seem to be a no brainer, to have the same in paperspace...without having to fiddle with the application for several hours to get this to work the way it should...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:01:43 AM by nadsab »

* May 25, 2016, 11:06:37 AM
nadsab,
sometimes with redsdk and or large complex drawings there are "regenerating issues" > are you working in redsdk or GDI mode. If redsdk, try switching to GDI.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 and HP all in one desktop with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3

* May 25, 2016, 11:29:08 AM
OK I am not sure what I am looking at here in your screen shot.
""

What you do see is a viewport in P Space, Design Director and some of the visible layers in P Space,
( P space/view/ Visible layer ), controlled by "Overrride Layers Visibility".
You can see that they are closed in DD( M Space ), but selected in P space and by that show like i want it in P Space

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* May 25, 2016, 12:35:57 PM
Here is another thing the developers should be doing.

When one opens viewport properties in Pagespace, and toggles on and off visibility of layers, the layer visibility should toggle on, and off, in real time, BEFORE one clicks OK in Viewport properties.

Pagespace code needs to be updated.  It is just plain silly – the functionality of layers in Pagespace.  If you are dealing with 40 or 50 layers in viewports - it is a PIA to toggle visibility going down the list.  You have to sort through, and remember what is on all 50 layers and hope your settings are good before you click OK.  Why not just have visibility instantly toggle on and off before your eyes, before you click OK to make your viewport layer settings?

Unless you write down on paper what is on each and every layer how can anyone remember what's on 50 layers? 

* May 25, 2016, 01:06:54 PM
...so if I set up my viewports in pagespace the way I want it to look, have some layers in viewports turned on, and others off, then click OK, and go back to modlespace and start toggling on and off layers - that toggling on and off in modelspace, should in no way affect my layers settings in viewports in pagespace.

Why does it to that?  It's totally silly.  And a total waste of time...

nadsab,
sometimes with redsdk and or large complex drawings there are "regenerating issues" > are you working in redsdk or GDI mode. If redsdk, try switching to GDI.

I'm in GDI Dean.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 01:14:13 PM by nadsab »

* May 25, 2016, 01:25:07 PM
What is needed is a LOCK, in viewports.

There should be a LOCK, such that once your layers are set the way you want them in a viewport, that nothing you do as far as layer visibility toggling is concered in modelspace, will affect anything in any locked viewport.

May 25, 2016, 01:43:51 PM
Layer visibility in viewports and modelspace  are indeed independent.

Be sure that "Override Layer Visibility" is checked in viewport properties. It should be on by default.

Here is a quick movie showing first how TC behaves with that setting off, then on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V6rRNGtaIE

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* May 25, 2016, 02:44:34 PM
That was the first thing I tried.  I checked the override layers visibility button in the Viewport properties palette, and after I did that, I switched off visibility of some layers in modelspace, and the layers disappeared in the viewport in pagespace.

So that checkbox in the layers palette does not work.  At least not for me.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 02:46:07 PM by nadsab »

* May 25, 2016, 02:54:24 PM
...as a matter of fact, in my 3.5 years of using TC Deluxe and now Platinum, and two machines, that check box has never worked correctly for me.

* May 25, 2016, 03:10:59 PM
Just thought of something.

I believe this override Layers visibility checkbox problem is directly related to this thread that I brought up weeks ago...

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,18759.msg111738.html

Because I am having this problem with the layers visibility checkbox, in a drawing in which the view name of the viewport is not visible in the viewport properties palette.  You can see all the layer names in the dropdown box, but the actual view name of the selected viewport is not showing at the top of the list by default.

So if the view name is not showing for any particular viewport, then the layers visibility checkbox is non functional.

This is a bug I believe.  It has been driving me crazy for over three years - two versions of Deluxe and now TC Pro Platinum.

May 25, 2016, 03:24:26 PM
I am not sure I am following you, are you able to change the views displayed in a viewport?. Could you post an example TCW which exhibits this behavior?

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* May 25, 2016, 03:33:23 PM
I am not sure I am following you, are you able to change the views displayed in a viewport?. Could you post an example TCW which exhibits this behavior?

It's complicated.  The only way you are going to understand this is to read this complete thread I started months ago...

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,18759.msg111738.html