TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

3D printing from TurboCAD 15 Pro STL files
Read 1679 times
* March 08, 2016, 05:20:22 AM
I have two issues I would like help with. First, when I print a cylindrical item the print has very clearly defined stepped sides. The item in the TCW file is round, but when it is saved as a STL file it becomes a regular polygon.

The second question may well be a printer setting rather than a TurboCAD one, but I will toss it out anyway. I want to print some parts with holes that I will thread once they are finished. But to get enough material to cut threads into I ether have to define the part as a solid without using infill or set the wall thickness for the whole part much thicker than most of it requires.

Thanks

* March 08, 2016, 06:22:15 AM
First issue - Is this this the type of thing you mean http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,18298.msg107757.html#msg107757, (the link in that post points to a very much longer thread),

Second issue - There isn't much within TC that could be done,  I suspect it would be down to the slicing software to highlight areas that need a thicker body if the software allows it, you could watch this post on the ultimaker site https://ultimaker.com/en/community/19997-extra-support-around-holes-for-fasteners to see if anyone comes up with a good solution, one way could be to use a plug, i.e. design with a larger hole than required for the tap, then print a cylinder to fit in the hole, that would effectively double the wall thickness assuming suitable glue is available to glue the plug into place.

March 08, 2016, 02:54:06 PM
I have two issues I would like help with. First, when I print a cylindrical item the print has very clearly defined stepped sides. The item in the TCW file is round, but when it is saved as a STL file it becomes a regular polygon.

Most likely, your ACIS Quality setting is too low (default is 50; you don't get good quality curves until you set 90+ - just use 100).

With V15, changing the setting after you have created an object will not automatically update it.  There is a workaround, however.  After you have changed the ACIS quality setting, select the object, delete it, then un-delete it by typing Ctrl-Z.  TurboCAD should use the higher quality settings for re-drawing the cylindrical item.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1