TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

TC Surface Options
Read 1576 times
* February 11, 2016, 09:58:40 AM
Hi

I use TurboCAD Delux 2015 64 bit. I am unable to set surface of 3D objects to roundness that I want. I phoned the support line and I was asked to select the object (cylinder, for example) and then right click to get properties and then change TC Surface Options to 90. Default is set to 14. Changing it to 90 made a big difference but I have to do it for every object individually.

Is there a way to make this change globally? Doing it for every surface is tedious. Moreover it does not work after I perform a boolean addition or subtraction of two or more 3D objects.

Thanks

* February 11, 2016, 11:20:51 AM
You could select all the 3D parts that need to be changed, then go to the Properties dialog, TC Surface Options page and make your changes. Any parts that have been used in a boolean operation (Add, Subtract) won't be affected, but all the rest should change.

You should make a Template with all your 3D tools set to this higher option.

John R.

V17V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* February 11, 2016, 12:22:48 PM
So I must make changes to individually or a bunch of parts before any boolean operation? There is no way to make global changes to TC Surface Options? Making global change only once as a part of setup operation would be so much better.

February 13, 2016, 01:38:51 PM
Open your file, Select All and go into Properties.  Once there, set the Surface Options to 90.

To keep from having to do this in the future, open a new file and invoke the 3D / Box command.  Before you click on the Workspace to define it, go into Properties (Ctrl-F is the quickest way), find the Surface Options and set the value to 90 (or whatever you decide to use).  This will re-define the default value used by TurboCAD when you create any more Boxes (and probably other Surface objects, too, but I have Pro, so I can't tell you for certain).  Finish creating the Box.

Note that these re-definitions are temporary.  They will last only until you change them, or close this TurboCAD data file (they won't even apply to new windows that you open), but we'll fix that in a minute.

Also, invoke the Dimension function for each of the types of measurements that you make and, also before clicking on the Workspace, specify the desired options (Text and Arrow sizes, Resolution, etc.) and then make some measurements.

It would also be a good idea to set up your lights, too, if you use them.  My templates have Title Blocks in Paper Space to save time, too.

Now that you have everything set up, delete the objects and Save as Template (give it some memorable name).

When you Open a new file, choose New from template and specify your preferred file.

You'll want to look into saving this Template file as a backup so that you can add it to new installations should the import function fail.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* February 14, 2016, 03:07:23 PM
Jeff

I tried making changes as you said. It worked for a new drawing. I closed my session and reopened it and changes were still in effect when I reopened the saved file.

However I was unsuccessful in making the deafult setting changes. For example if I start a new drawing i get 14 as the default value. I wish there is a way to change the setting permanently to 90 once and forever.

Thanks
Prasad

* February 14, 2016, 09:30:39 PM
re: I wish there is a way to change the setting permanently to 90 once and forever.

You can try the TurboCAD 2015 Explorer. Expand "Settings" and go down to "Drawing_Defaults". Look for "Number of Latitude Segments", etc. Change it to 90 (I use 60), then click in another field. Start a "New From Scratch" drawing a see which tools were changed. I find that not all 3D tools acquire these changes. Most likely a BUG that will never be fixed. These changes only affect "New from Scratch" drawings, not Templates.

More info on Drawing_Defaults can be found in the Wiki.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:33:06 PM by John R »

John R.

V17V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* February 15, 2016, 04:25:56 AM
Quote:"You can try the TurboCAD 2015 Explorer."

I use TurboCAD Deluxe 2015. In it I do not see these "settings", "Drawing_defaults". How do I get Turbo CAD 2015 Explorer? I am a hobbyist and cant afford to keep buying different versions if that is the only way.

Many thanks for taking time to respond.

* February 15, 2016, 05:00:45 AM
The last TC deluxe I have is v16, in that version the TC explorer palette is in the view menu,  open the palette, in the top pane of the palette, expand 'settings', then 'built in', then locate 'drawing defaults', once you have changed them, close and re-open TC, select 'new from scratch' drawing and check things saved ok by drawing a sphere and checking properties are at 60 , 90, or whatever you have set, you can also check other tools to see if they changed ok.

As John stated these only affect a 'new from scratch' drawing, Drawing settings are stored in a file or template and will override the drawing default settings, which is one reason it is better to set up ones own template with the required settings, so once you know new from scratch is fine, alter colours, dimensions as Jeff mentioned and save as a your own template for future use.

If you open old files or Template for example 'Normal Metric' template these settings will be over-ridden with whatever the file/template contains.

* February 15, 2016, 07:59:26 AM
Quote:"You can try the TurboCAD 2015 Explorer."

I use TurboCAD Deluxe 2015. In it I do not see these "settings", "Drawing_defaults". How do I get Turbo CAD 2015 Explorer? I am a hobbyist and cant afford to keep buying different versions if that is the only way.

Many thanks for taking time to respond.

Follow the advice given by Jeff and Andy about making a Template and starting new drawings from that template. But be aware that when creating the template you must set the Surface Options for each type of object (Sphere, Cylinder, Cone, Simple Extrude, Prism, Rail Sweep, Revolve, Torus). Settings for "Sphere," for example, do not apply to "Cylinder." For each of these tools in turn, select the tool, adjust the Surface Options, create the object, and then delete it. Then save the empty drawing as a Template and start future drawings from that template.

Henry H

* February 16, 2016, 03:20:01 AM
Thanks, sure I will try again next weekend and share my progress. I am traveling right now.
Thank you for your help

* September 10, 2016, 07:10:19 AM
The tools will change for the rest of the drawing if you change them before you use them. Get the tool out and before you draw right click and go to properties and change before you use it.