TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Couple of Basic TurboCad 2015 Deluxe Questions
Read 1024 times
* January 27, 2016, 09:03:11 PM
Getting ready to buy a new computer.  Trying to figure out what specs to look for.  I see that the TurboCad 2015 Deluxe calls for "high speed CPU", 4-8 Gb RAM as minimum.  Wondering what the target would be for optimum w/regard to TurboCad Deluxe.  What are the most important parameters and what levels should I look for?  Lots of RAM?  What is "high speed" in a CPU?

Second question.  I'm looking at the offer for the Aniversery Special for 2015 Deluxe.  It includes the Google Maps Plug In.  However, when I look at the TurboCad site, the Google Maps Plug In write up indicates it only works with TurboCad Pro.  Is there a new version of Google Maps Plug In that now works with the Deluxe edition?  If not, what's the point of offering it in a package with TurboCad 2015 Deluxe?

Appreciate any input from you guys.

* January 28, 2016, 05:21:19 AM
It kind of depends on what you will be doing. If you will be doing a lot of quality renders, you may need the higher spec PC's. I don't do much rendering, mostly wire frame and hidden line 3D.
   I am running 2015 Pro-Plat. At work my PC has an i3-2130 @3.4GHz, 4G ram, Win7 Pro 64, no video card. Not exactly a high spec PC. I can do every thing I need, even use REDSdk for speeding up hidden line viewing. My home PC is an i7-3770 @ 3.4Ghz, 16G ram, Win7 Pro 64, GTX 660 video card. And to tell you the truth, for what I do there is little performance difference between the two. But like I stated, I don't do much quality renders, and when I do it is with LW.
   One note, the 2015 TC's don't have the Lightworks plug in, that has to be purchased separately. So if you will be doing quality renders, you may need the LW plugin, or a decent video card. From my understanding, Lightworks relies solely on the CPU for renders, RED Sdk relies on the GPU and CPU for renders. That GPU doesn't have to be a discrete video card. Most Intel CPU's (except the I-5xxx series) have integrated graphics, but you will get better performance when using a video card for RED quality renders. (The I-5xxx series forgoes the integrated graphics in favor of two additional cores)
   All in all, I think that just about any new PC would be fine, as long as quality renders are not a main stay of your work.

TC 21 Deluxe, TC 20 Platinum, TC 2015 Platinum, TC 2016 Platinum, TC 2017 Platinum
i7- 3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz, 16G Crucial Ballistic, ASRock Extreme 4, EVGA 1060 SSC, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

* January 28, 2016, 05:32:00 PM
OK, thanks.  Looks like any of the ones I was looking at (Costco) will do the job.

Anybody know about the Google Maps Plugin?  Maybe I'll try a separate post.GAUOPE