TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

rafter
Read 3518 times
* January 02, 2010, 07:06:27 AM
As a newbie and old fart cannot get my little mind to draw a rafter.
Anybody have blocks or advice?

* January 02, 2010, 08:52:39 AM
As a newbie and old fart cannot get my little mind to draw a rafter.
Anybody have blocks or advice?

Here's a brief introduction to a basic technique, assuming you want a 3D object: Working in an Isometric view, draw a 3D Box, typing the required dimensions in the Inspector Bar. Make it a little longer than the finished length, to allow for trimming the ends. Watch your progress as you go along, and press the Undo button whenever you detect a mistake.  Select the finished object and rotate it to the correct orientation by means of the Rot X, Rot Y, and/or Rot Z fields of the Inspector Bar. You can move it to approximately the right location with the mouse -- click to select it; click on its yellow reference point and release the mouse button; move the mouse cursor to the destination (the selected object will be attached to the cursor); click again to drop the object. (Moving it to precisely the right location is usually a matter of using Snaps or one of the Assembly tools. Please post again when you need more info.) Use the 3D Slice tool to trim the ends.

Henry H

* January 02, 2010, 12:12:23 PM
Thanks.
Guess the layout starts with the outline of a 2 by ...

* January 02, 2010, 03:59:14 PM
Thanks.
Guess the layout starts with the outline of a 2 by ...

Not exactly. For starters, if you don't have the Drawing Tools toolbar on your screen, open the View menu, go to "Toolbars," scroll down the list and be sure there's a checkmark by "Drawing Tools." Switch to an Isometric view. Click the "3D Box" button on that toolbar and your Inspector Bar should display three fields -- Width, Length, and Height -- with a zero in each field. Click anyplace in your drawing to place the first corner of the 2×4 you're about to draw and move the mouse a little. Non-zero numbers will appear in the Width and Length fields. Press your TAB key and the Width field will light up. Type 1.5 and press TAB again. The Length field will light up; type the desired length of the 2×4 (e.g., 48) and press TAB once more to light up the Height field. Type 3.5 and press Enter. There's your 2×4, (actually 1-1/2 × 3-1/2) standing on edge and aligned parallel to the World Y axis.

Henry H

* January 03, 2010, 07:25:20 AM
Hi Henry,

I work a lot in a 4 View Template. Do you know why an object created in World Plan view drops below workplane IF all four 'view windows' are open but if I maximize and world plan and draw on it, the object is ON the workplane.

In the attached I created the blue rafter in Iso View , raised and rotated a copy of it. Note how original blue rafter is on workplane. But the 'selected' rafter was drawn in World Plan with the other 3 windows 'open' and the rafter drops down below the workplane.

thanks,

Jack

[attachment deleted by admin]

* January 03, 2010, 09:20:52 AM
Hi Henry,

I work a lot in a 4 View Template. Do you know why an object created in World Plan view drops below workplane IF all four 'view windows' are open but if I maximize and world plan and draw on it, the object is ON the workplane.

In the attached I created the blue rafter in Iso View , raised and rotated a copy of it. Note how original blue rafter is on workplane. But the 'selected' rafter was drawn in World Plan with the other 3 windows 'open' and the rafter drops down below the workplane.

thanks,

Jack

Don't know, Jack. Can't duplicate your problem. I tried it your way a moment ago and the object was on the WP just as it should be.

Henry H

Henry H

* January 03, 2010, 03:15:43 PM
Thanks for checking on that Henry.

I am thinking it may be a Vista 64 bit problem. I do have some situations when settings are not retained. I have found that if by error I select 'Plane by Active View' the object is not drawn on the workplane and switching to 'Plane by World' while in 'World Plan' view doesn't activate that command. I must go to ISO view, then back to World Plan view to get the object to be drawn on the work plane or maximize that particular view.

Attached are angles in degrees for common roof rafter pitches for those interested.

Jack

[attachment deleted by admin]