TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Wrapping a 2D Drawing onto a 3D Cylinder
Read 2110 times
* December 28, 2015, 01:52:05 PM
I am looking for a tool or process that will let me wrap a 2D drawing onto a 3D cylinder and use the resulting curves and points as extrude paths and construction geometry for "engraving" the solid.  I use the Silhouette Cameo and Shapeways 3D printing service to build up scale model rockets.  It would be helpful to do all of my layout work in a 2D sketch with the curves representing panel lines, hatches, doors, rivet heads and the like.  The latter stages of my imagined workflow would entail wrapping the drawing around a cylinder having the correct length and diameter and then using the curves to add detail.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

* December 28, 2015, 02:07:09 PM
I am looking for a tool or process that will let me wrap a 2D drawing onto a 3D cylinder and use the resulting curves and points as extrude paths and construction geometry for "engraving" the solid.  I use the Silhouette Cameo and Shapeways 3D printing service to build up scale model rockets.  It would be helpful to do all of my layout work in a 2D sketch with the curves representing panel lines, hatches, doors, rivet heads and the like.  The latter stages of my imagined workflow would entail wrapping the drawing around a cylinder having the correct length and diameter and then using the curves to add detail.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Would an approach similar to the link work for you. http://www.textualcreations.ca/TurboCAD%20Tips/TurboCAD%20Tip%202.pdf

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* December 28, 2015, 02:47:40 PM
Thanks for the reply.  While I can see using that feature in the future right now I need a tool or process that will let me modify the solid with the wrapped curves so it will show up in a 3D print.

* December 28, 2015, 02:48:19 PM
Another option, if your have the Platinum edition, is the Bend tool. You can extrude your 2D work, then Bend it to fit around the cylinder. This is what I did with the extruded text in these pictures.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit