TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Menger Sponge
Read 4767 times
* December 30, 2009, 08:10:05 PM
Earlier on this year , somebody on the forum had created a "Menger Sponge" model  with Turbocad, but I cannot remember who, does anybody have any idea who it was ??. I have searched the forum, but cannot find the thread.

Mike Geraghty

* December 30, 2009, 09:35:30 PM
Earlier on this year , somebody on the forum had created a "Menger Sponge" model  with Turbocad, but I cannot remember who, does anybody have any idea who it was ??. I have searched the forum, but cannot find the thread.

Mike Geraghty

Afraid I don't recall who did that, Mike -- but I'm pretty sure it was in August, 2008, or maybe July. (The Menger Sponge post prodded me to post a much-simplified whimsical counterpart, and the date of my image is 30 Aug 2008.)

Henry H

* December 31, 2009, 05:19:54 PM
Thanks for the info Henry, I have had a look and it appears that this may be when we had our fatal server crash and some of the postings where lost. I can probably do some searches on google for formulae, maybe even a script. As I said a few weeks ago, this year I am having a look at some conceptual environmental designs, the Heat Exchanger Dam being one, and now I am looking at the possibility for a menger sponge type structure being ideal for sea defences, as it will provide a habitat for various sizes of species that will eventually turn the sponge into a very sturdy solid. The possibility for use as artificial coral reefs is also another option.

* December 31, 2009, 08:00:37 PM
If memory serves, it was David Mullins, the Australian edition, who'd done it, Michael.

January 01, 2010, 05:40:56 AM
Actually, I believe David created his with Kerkythea. I posted a version that was done entirely with TC.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 05:43:04 AM by Julian Thomas »

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* January 01, 2010, 10:56:34 AM
Actually, I believe David created his with Kerkythea. I posted a version that was done entirely with TC.

Incredible. How long to render?

Henry H

* January 01, 2010, 11:38:55 AM
Nice work Julian, exactly what I was after . It would be very interesting to find out what the surface area is in relation to volume of the solid. My idea as mentioned above is to find a suitable solid with large surface area that a myriad of different species can occupy and still have a level of protection based on various aperture sizes that will not allow their predators access.

* January 01, 2010, 12:02:35 PM
Many thanks for your feedback also Murray !.

* January 02, 2010, 03:29:23 AM
I dragged up an old drawing with a sponge and ran it in V16. It took about 2m 45s to render. Each basic cube is 1 inch. The little level 1 part, in front, is 3×3 and became a Block. The follow on Levels were Group's of the Block. Nothing was assigned a Material, I just used Pen Color. While it may have rendered fairly quickly, it's a bear when moving the view around. Move the mouse a bit, then wait 5-10 seconds for the actual move to happen.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

January 02, 2010, 01:39:39 PM

Henry H

About 10mins on my ageing laptop (1.6Ghz AMD), I'll try it on my faster desktop later & report back.

I've attached the TCW file, can't remember if it was done in v11 or v12. Note that all lines are white, you won't see anything when first opened - select all or hit the render button.

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.

* January 02, 2010, 02:52:06 PM
I've attached the TCW file, can't remember if it was done in v11 or v12.

To determine the TCad version, open the file in Notepad and scroll to the end. DO NOT change anything in the file. Even if you undo the change, Genie will know it's been tampered with and will refuse to open it.

Henry H

* January 02, 2010, 06:18:40 PM
Thanks for the file Julian, now I will be able to set about putting some fish and other species into the model or with paint shop pro.

Henry, also good to know where to find the file version !.

* January 02, 2010, 10:33:22 PM
Here is my first attempt at a marine environment using your menger sponge image Julian. I do not have any good tropical fish with transparent backgrounds at present, so they are a bit rough around the edges , but a general idea for the usage of the menger sponge. I will have to source some good images for the finished version with other species and seaweed etc.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:37:20 PM by Michael Geraghty »

* January 03, 2010, 02:56:35 AM
Henry H

About 10mins on my ageing laptop (1.6Ghz AMD), I'll try it on my faster desktop later & report back.
I've attached the TCW file, can't remember if it was done in v11 or v12. Note that all lines are white, you won't see anything when first opened - select all or hit the render button.

Your drawing took less than 2 minutes. I went into Block_0 and changed the chamfered Box color from "White" to "By Layer"; that way I could change the color through Design Director. Use a visible color in Wireframe and change to White before rendering. This shot took about the same time. I doubt if this could be done if the Chamfer's were Fillet's.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

January 03, 2010, 09:41:45 PM
G'day John
Your drawing took less than 2 minutes
Let me get this straight - did the colour change speed up your rendering, or was it just to make the sponge visible during manipulation?

I tried the same file on my 3GHz PC and rendered in approx 5mins, pretty much what I expected. Your PC must be a scorcher!

Obviously, I did originally construct the model with visible graphics. The change to white was last minute - I was trying to push TC to emulate the white model David Mullins had done with his other software. His was a level 6 or 7 Menger sponge, but TC could only model to level 5 and render to level 4 before carkin' it.

Julian

* January 04, 2010, 12:08:31 AM
re: ...did the colour change speed up your rendering, or was it just to make the sponge visible during manipulation?

It was just to make it visible while moving it around. Thinking about it, I could have changed the Background color temporarily.

Intel® Xeon® CPU --- W5580  @ 3.20GHz, 4 Core(s)
(RAM)   6GB, DDR3 RDIMM Memory, 1333MHz, ECC (3 DIMMS)
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800, 1.50 GB
Vista 64-bit

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled