TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

New to everything
Read 4400 times
* December 13, 2015, 11:57:41 AM
Could someone please point me in the right direction in finding out how to make a 3d drawing? I have the basics down on how to make a 2d drawing, good enough for what I usually need, but the 3d aspect of the software escapes me. I suppose I could read all 500 pages of the help topics to figure it out but I was hoping y'all could give me a place to start.

For instance, I have a shape drawn in 2d but I would like to make it into a 3d drawing. What do I need to do to take my 2d drawing and make it into a 3d drawing? I haven't a clue. Where do I start?

Thank you in advance,
Bill

* December 13, 2015, 02:04:49 PM
What's it a drawing of?  It's a big question, because TC gives you tools to design things in 3D in multiple ways.  One paradigm is called Constructive Solid Geometry, CSG, which is assembling primitive shapes like blocks, cylinders/cones and spheres/ellipsoids.  Then there's feature-based, where faces, vertexes and edges can have contextual actions performed on them; history-based, where "stacked" features can't exist independently, because they're a "child" of "parent" features that have to be created first.  Then there's parametric modelling, in which features have relationships to each other that can be fixed or have variations established from tables or formulas.  Giving 2D drawings depth is called "2.5D CAD" because it doesn't consider the relationship of a plan view to end views or elevations, only the object's footprint.  You can set up the relationship of your drawings to correlate with those views, extruding and intersecting each of them begins to approach 3D, and then you're going to have to learn how to apply features like filleting, chamfering and shelling, how to use tools like Boolean interactions to add, subtract and intersect, how to manipulate objects to establish relationships, and much, much more.  Reading the manual's a useful start if you don't know any of this.   
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 02:08:28 PM by murray dickinson »

December 13, 2015, 02:22:59 PM
Bill,

the best place to start, IMHO, is with reading the manual - but not all of it!
Just do a few steps at a time, and, if you get stuck, then ask for clarification.
It's can be a steep learning curve, but, is not so bad if you try walking through slowly.
It can all be as simple, or complex, as you want to make it, depending on what you are aiming at.

If the manual feels inadequate, then take a look at Don Cheke's tutorials here:

http://www.textualcreations.ca

I hope this helps.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2016/2017/2018 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab.

* December 13, 2015, 06:15:02 PM
Well, I'm already stuck. What I'm trying to do is take my basic rectangular shape (with a few minor extras) from my library and give that 2d drawing some depth. I can't seem to find anything in the thumbnails that describes what I'm trying to do. If I view my 2d drawing in 3d mode, I can turn it in all different directions but it's still just a flat drawing. If I click on the icon for, say, the left side of the drawing, the drawing is now just a flat line that I can't do anything with.

Is there a simple way that I can give the flat drawing a simple .25" depth to it? That's all I'm want to do. Take a flat drawing and give it a certain thickness. Maybe a pop-up window that I can enter a parameter of thickness? What I need is instructions for dummies. :)

* December 13, 2015, 06:34:28 PM
Well, I'm already stuck. What I'm trying to do is take my basic rectangular shape (with a few minor extras) from my library and give that 2d drawing some depth. I can't seem to find anything in the thumbnails that describes what I'm trying to do. If I view my 2d drawing in 3d mode, I can turn it in all different directions but it's still just a flat drawing. If I click on the icon for, say, the left side of the drawing, the drawing is now just a flat line that I can't do anything with.

Is there a simple way that I can give the flat drawing a simple .25" depth to it? That's all I'm want to do. Take a flat drawing and give it a certain thickness. Maybe a pop-up window that I can enter a parameter of thickness? What I need is instructions for dummies. :)

There is such a window. Double-click on the 3D object and its Properties dialog will open. Click on "3D" in the left side of the dialog and you'll see a window in which you can type the desired Thickness. At the top of that page, tick the radio button labeled "Solid." Click "OK" and you'll have a 3D object.

...That said, many users will advise you not to make a 3D object via "Thickness," but to use the Simple Extrude tool instead. To do this, enable the Simple Extrude tool; click the 2D object; TAB to the Height field of the Inspector Bar and type a value; press Enter.

Henry H

* December 13, 2015, 08:11:44 PM
Henry's advice is good if your rectangular shape is all-of-a-piece, ie a polyline, or created as a TC rectangle, which is a polyline.  If it's a composition of lines and/or curves or arcs, you'll have to join them into a polyline, or extrude a compound profile (which is a Pro feature only, I think)  to create a volume solid.  If you don't, your 3D object will be a collection of surface "walls", no top or base. 

* December 14, 2015, 09:38:53 AM
If the attachment showed up, that is what I'm trying to draw in 3d. I used Henry's method for getting the thickness for the drawing and it worked fine but I find that this is too simple as I need to have different thicknesses for different parts of the piece. I also need to offset one of the fingers, when viewed from the side. I am having a difficult time finding out how to do this.

If it's not too much to ask, could y'all give me step by step instructions on how to piece together this drawing so that I can get different thicknesses for different parts of the piece. Or perhaps point me to the help topics that will help me find the answers to my queries. I know it's a lot to ask but any help at all would be most appreciated.

* December 14, 2015, 09:46:15 AM
If the attachment showed up, that is what I'm trying to draw in 3d. I used Henry's method for getting the thickness for the drawing and it worked fine but I find that this is too simple as I need to have different thicknesses for different parts of the piece. I also need to offset one of the fingers, when viewed from the side. I am having a difficult time finding out how to do this.

If it's not too much to ask, could y'all give me step by step instructions on how to piece together this drawing so that I can get different thicknesses for different parts of the piece. Or perhaps point me to the help topics that will help me find the answers to my queries. I know it's a lot to ask but any help at all would be most appreciated.

Need more info. Can you post a three-view 2D drawing?

Henry H

* December 14, 2015, 10:43:50 AM
How's this?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 01:11:47 PM by William LeMieux »

* December 14, 2015, 01:57:51 PM
How's this?

How's this? The position of the dark red face in the attached screenshot is ambiguous in your 2D drawings. (And I'm not fully confident about whether the two fingers are correct.)

Henry H

* December 14, 2015, 02:25:54 PM
That's crazy perfect!  :D I've been trying for months to figure this thing out and you whipped it out like nothin'. So what's the secret? Can you teach that to me?  :-[

* December 14, 2015, 03:26:30 PM
That's crazy perfect!  :D I've been trying for months to figure this thing out and you whipped it out like nothin'. So what's the secret? Can you teach that to me?  :-[

Here's the .tcw drawing, Bill. It's in v2015 format and the 3D object is a Solid. If your TCad version is different, or if it's Deluxe rather than Pro (Deluxe doesn't recognize "Solids"), let me know and I'll post a drawing that you'll be able to handle.

Henry H

* December 14, 2015, 03:40:41 PM
I have Tcad delux 18.0 so no, it wouldn't let me have it. But that's neither here nor there. I have no use for the drawing really because I have to have one that I can submit to a manufacturer for a price quote so I need to learn how to make a 3d drawing myself. And I might have to make subtle changes here and there too.

But it's nice to see what was in my head all this time transferred to paper. Cool beans. :D

* December 14, 2015, 05:31:52 PM
I have Tcad delux 18.0 so no, it wouldn't let me have it. But that's neither here nor there. I have no use for the drawing really because I have to have one that I can submit to a manufacturer for a price quote so I need to learn how to make a 3d drawing myself. And I might have to make subtle changes here and there too.

But it's nice to see what was in my head all this time transferred to paper. Cool beans. :D

Here's a version that will open in v18 Deluxe. Have a look at it, 'cuz the techniques involved are pretty fundamental.

Henry H

* December 15, 2015, 04:58:35 AM
Thank you Henry, you've been a big help. I don't have a clue what all that meant, on the drawing, but I will certainly give it a go. Good luck to me. :D

December 15, 2015, 06:08:40 AM
When I was new to 3D sometime back, I bought Don Cheke's (Textual Creations) A320 Airline tutorial as it taught me a lot of things but mostly how to build 3D models from the three 2D models much as you have shown and then render it into a 3D model.

Come back to this forum and check the various posts.  It is very to useful to post in the expectation that you will get good advice on how to solve it.  You will recognise quickly the Henry Hubich is a "god" and seems to know everything. 

regards
Colin Reid
TC2018 Pro Platinum 64 bit  + LW plugin on Win10 desktop and  Quad Intel i7 with 32GB RAM + 128GB  SSD and 2TB partitioned hard disk, NVidia 2GB video

* December 15, 2015, 07:31:35 AM
Thank you Henry, you've been a big help. I don't have a clue what all that meant, on the drawing, but I will certainly give it a go. Good luck to me. :D

To get a feel for creating in 3D, experiment with the 3D "primitives"; especially 3D Box, Sphere, and Cylinder. Play with the Profile-based Simple Extrude tool and Revolve tool. Read about 3D Slice, 3D Add, 3D Subtract, and 3D Intersect in the Help file. When using any tool, pay attention to the instructions at the bottom left of your screen.

Henry H

* December 15, 2015, 07:41:52 AM

I just noticed that I misspelled "superfluous" in the drawing. Hate it when that happens.

Henry H

* December 17, 2015, 08:31:13 AM
Henry-
I managed to 3D intersect the front and sides of my drawing together and came up with the drawing in the attachment, however, I can't manage to get the fingers to size. They extend the entire width of the part instead of only half of it. How did you manage to do it? It won't let me trim anything, like the finger width, because when I click on a finger the whole drawing is highlighted instead of just one finger. I'm at wits end trying to figure this out. How can I get all three views connected at the same time?

* December 17, 2015, 10:59:55 AM
Henry-
I managed to 3D intersect the front and sides of my drawing together and came up with the drawing in the attachment, however, I can't manage to get the fingers to size. They extend the entire width of the part instead of only half of it. How did you manage to do it? It won't let me trim anything, like the finger width, because when I click on a finger the whole drawing is highlighted instead of just one finger. I'm at wits end trying to figure this out. How can I get all three views connected at the same time?

Have a look at the attached illustration, William. Be sure to extrude the profiles to a great enough Height that the extrusions overlap. (You won't see colors like these unless you assign materials and then render the screen; I did that in the hope of making things clearer.)

After extruding the profiles and 3D-Intersecting them, you'll have an object with four fingers, two of which must be removed. You can do this by 3D-Slicing, deleting the unwanted pieces, and 3D-Adding the good parts back together; or you could do it by 3D-Subtracting a couple of 3D Boxes created just for this purpose. I recommend that you read about 3D-Slice in the Help file if you're not already comfortable with this tool.

...To make the hole, BTW, extrude the circle and 3D-Subtract the result from the main object.

Henry H
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:01:38 AM by Henry Hubich »