TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Does animation lab know the model
Read 2348 times
* November 27, 2015, 11:45:21 AM
Hi,

I have TC2015 PU. I have been looking at animation lab but want to know if it uses the model to animate motion. What I mean be this, if I have a system of gears, can I define the rotation of one gear and animation lab figures the rotation of all the connected gears. Or, is it more, I need to define the rotation of all the gears individually and animation lab will simply make then spin as I define? Does animation lab understand the physics of a model an calculate all motion from the model.

Thanks

Joel

* November 27, 2015, 12:20:30 PM
TC / AL won't automatically calculate the movement / rotation of another object, except in certain circumstances whe using constraints,  Normally you would set the rotation of each gear individually, in theory it could be possible to write a script which would automate it but one would need to write the formula for each gear taking into account the rotation and radius / diameter or circumference.

I haven't tested this but it should be possible to write for gear two being half the size of gear 1 (though not in these terms), gear1 rotate x, y, gear 2 rotate -x/2, -y/2, (this is rough and probably wouldn't work as it is).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 12:34:59 PM by Andy H »

* November 27, 2015, 12:57:48 PM
The people at Softdev (Viktor Kuznetsov) did a gear animation back at the beginning of the century. The TCW drawing is in the Samples folder for AnimationLab.

C:\Program Files\IMSIDesign\AnimationLab v5 64-bit\Samples\Gear.tcw
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 01:00:47 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* November 27, 2015, 01:31:53 PM
That's the kind of thing I want to do. I was hoping that animation lab knew the physics behind the model. Seems I can design something in TC then import the model into a 3d modeling program and animate it there.

Thanks

Joel

* November 27, 2015, 02:08:20 PM
I guess it depends on the complexity, even in a standalone 3d animation program one needs to set up the parameters as to how one object behaves in relation to another, I've seen footage one the internet which were suppose to use physics to animate but when one looks closely they would be impossible to work.

I would suggest trialling a few different ones to see how good they are at being realistic for what you have in mind, that said if one can spend a few thousand I'm guessing it will work great,  ;D

November 28, 2015, 07:31:08 AM
Joel,

why not download a trial version of  Animation Lab here:

http://activate.imsisoft.com/gennedfreetrial.aspx?productpage=TCALab5

and take it for a spin?

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Testing/using with Win 10 and various TurboCAD 64-bit versions.

* November 28, 2015, 10:39:55 AM
tried the demo, would not work with 2015

* November 28, 2015, 11:32:03 PM
In what way did it not work ?.

I've never tried the demo version, but it should be possible to get it working in your v21, it may not have installed automatically in v21 but it should (in theory) be possible to get it working by moving a couple of dll's, assuming it actually installed somewhere on your computer.

Or - if you wish to post a simple drawing maybe someone will comment on how easy or difficult it is in AnimationLab, that way you will have something to compare with other animation programs.

November 29, 2015, 07:43:55 AM
tried the demo, would not work with 2015

You will need TC, build 40.5 or later, for Animation Lab to work properly.

Regards Tim

* November 30, 2015, 11:03:01 AM
I startup through animation lab and point it to my 2015 install ( build 54.3 ). TC starts but there is no animation lab tool pallet to be found. I did find a version of animation lab that is supposed to work with 2015, but then the demo serial number and key do not work.

November 30, 2015, 01:55:28 PM
Joel,

I know this is a pain, but, it's best, in IMHO, to uninstall animation lab and reinstall, whenever TC and/or Animation Lab have been updated/changed.

This way, you get to know the serial number by heart!  ;D

I hope this helps.

Regards Tim

* November 30, 2015, 02:38:51 PM
This works with normal AL, but I've never tried it with the trial version,   use TC v21 assuming you still have it installed.

Open v21 in the normal way (not by clicking AL shortcut),
If Animation\lab palette is not available in the view menu or on the toolbar - close TC.
Locate the two files shown below in AL1
Copy each and paste into v21's palette folder as shown in AL2
Open TC21 in the normal way, and see if the AL palette is available.

* November 30, 2015, 02:44:25 PM
I think you should make contact with support, maybe it is the same with AL as it is with the LigthWork plugin, it is buildt controlled, in other words, your AL dont fit with the buildt you have on TC and by that it wont instal correct ??
Wild guess as i dont use AL my self, but worth a shot.
Or maybe try to download AL one more time, it has happen that people get a download link that is to old if they just have upgraded TC at that time (or AL for that matter, i believe )

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* December 03, 2015, 05:44:11 AM
I might have to try support. I have been unsuccessful in getting it to work on 2015 or V21. I did try what Andy suggested and still no go. I do have TrueSpace and have been able to import models there, so maybe this becomes a don't care for me. It might be nice to be able to work within one package.

Thanks

Joel

* December 03, 2015, 08:48:08 AM
Sorry it didn't work, you are right about contacting IMSI.

For curiosity I just downloaded the trial to my back-up computer, the link in the E-mail I received was only to install AL in the (x86) 32bit folder, even though there is an x64 reference in that folder - because its not in the program folder it looks like its preventing it  working in any 64bit versions of TC, it worked OK with the latest 32bit version I have on that computer (v17).

I think IMSI need to update the trial version.   
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:51:30 AM by Andy H »

* December 03, 2015, 09:55:43 AM
OK.  did some more checking, I assume in the E-mail you got there was only one link, that's the 32 bit version and I am assuming your using 64bit so it won't work.

As I say - I am assuming your using 64bit TC,  A couple of choices.

1, Un-install AnimationLab (windows add/remove program will do),  click this link https://www.turbocad.com/animation-lab-5-free-trial which you can fill out the form and in the resultant E-mail download the 64 bit version.

2, Un-install AL,  Click  this link http://downloads.imsidesign.com/ESD/AnimationLab_5_1_64bit.exe which will download the 64 bit version, your existing trial version serial number should work (it did when I tried it) but I can't guarantee it.

Then because there were a few problems for some of us with AL and 2015, and I don't know which build the downloads will send (earlier builds were a bit wonky for me), personally I'd still suggest trialling it in v21, therefore after installing AL,  place the two files into 64bit TC21 / program / palette folder.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 10:41:22 AM by Andy H »

* December 03, 2015, 11:47:17 AM
Sigh, I got as far as TC asking for the activation code. I entered what I got and got an error saying it was expired and a link to click to get a new code. Did that and got an error saying the new code was invalid. I tried to call IMSI support but after being on hold for a while, gave up. I sent an email, hopefully something will come out of it.

Thanks for the help so far

Joel

* December 04, 2015, 01:57:50 PM
IMSI got back with a new serial and activation number that works, so now I can try it out.

Joel