TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

print hollow cylinder but extra part appear
Read 1483 times
* November 15, 2015, 07:00:13 PM
Dear All

Just wonder why does the extra part appear when I tried to print a hollow cylinder, as attached.
Any way I can fix this? or is this mandatory?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards
Simon

=================
Yuansheng Tsai
tsai.yuansheng@gmail.com

Windows 7 Pro
TurboCAD 2015 Professional 64-bit - Platinum Edition
Version: 22.0     Build: 15.4

* November 16, 2015, 06:30:15 AM
That  should not happen, is there anything in your file that you hadn't noticed,  what I tended to do is after exporting the file I then open it in NetFab and / or MeshLab and check the part and save from there before printing, I guess it depends on what printer / software you are using, some printers will have their own software where you can check before printing.

* November 17, 2015, 01:58:24 AM
Hello Andy

I create the hollow cylinder with turboCAD, and no extra part appear within the file.
I will download the free NetFabb to check.

Thanks for the tip!

Best Regards
Simon

=================
Yuansheng Tsai
tsai.yuansheng@gmail.com

Windows 7 Pro

* November 17, 2015, 03:49:45 PM
Dear All

Checked with NetFabb but can't find the problem.
The printer is 2nd generation Cube, and use Cube Software to do the convert.
Attached are the files.

Please kindly help.
Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Simon

=================
Yuansheng Tsai
tsai.yuansheng@gmail.com

Windows 7 Pro

* November 17, 2015, 08:43:13 PM
Checked the stl file in three programs (four if one counts TC) and could not find any problem apart from Meshlab did ask if I wanted to remove duplicate faces,  unfortunately I don't have the cube so cannot open the cube file, I don't know if anyone else uses the cube and can check the file, it looks like whatever is causing the fault was added by the cube program.

Whilst nothing to do with the problem, I did wonder about the rather faceted stl file, which I'm guessing should be more circular in appearance, in the attached file I have reproduced the tube with a higher ACIS setting before saving as stl, then opened in it in netfab, ran repair but I don't think it found any fault, saved, opened in Meshlab, let it repair the faces and re-saved,  (note if its not supposed to be roughly circular - sorry).

I don't know if you want to open this file in your cube program and see what it looks like in that, to see whether it looks any different to the cube file you already have, you may need to check whether the size is correct in Cube (if that is possible).

November 20, 2015, 06:41:50 PM
Hi Simon,

It is possible that the part you are printing is relatively small and so the printer is moving the nozzle away from the part at every layer change to "buy time" and allow the laid down plastic to cool down before applying the next layer.

Try printing 2 (or maybe 3) of these hollow cylinders at a time to see if the vertical post goes away.  A single larger diameter cylinder may also do the trick.

Chachin..
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 06:51:02 PM by Chachin »

Live debt-free.

December 08, 2015, 11:23:51 PM
I would suggest rotating or turning the model in Model Space and making another test print.  You could also try a 3D Slice of your cylinder (a mathematical width of 'zero' would mean that the Cylinder would still print the same) in any orientation.

If the extra material is rotated or turned in the same way as the cylinder, then the problem is with the file and how it is handled (that includes the file handling done by the printer's processor).

If the artifact is printed in the same place as before, then the problem should be in the hardware, but also could be in the printer's firmware.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1