TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Quick Pull Snaps Turbocad 2015 (V22)
Read 4254 times
* October 28, 2015, 05:56:10 PM
Just upgraded to Pro Platinum 2015 (V22).  I used to be able to quick pull a surface, hover near the object I wanted it to snap to and the snaps would take it where I wanted.  Now I can't seem to get any snaps with the new and improved quick pull.  What am I missing?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 05:26:54 AM by chas21768 »

October 29, 2015, 11:01:08 AM
I briefly had that problem, but noticed that I could do it last night.

Try saving, closing and re-opening the file and see if you still have that problem.  A more-thorough approach would be to save the file, exit TurboCAD and delete the Built-In folder (the go-to fix for seemingly-intractable problems).

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2018, 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks & RedSDK) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* October 29, 2015, 11:20:39 AM
It depends on the part, i.e. if the face being pulled is connected to the place being snapped to - then it works, if it's not connected to the place being a snapped - it doesn't work.

Just retried it and it's a bit hit and miss, sometimes even if connected snaps fail to work,

##Edit## what does seem to affect the snapping is, if quick pull has already been carried out on an object, this then somehow stops snapping from working, as can be seen by the highlighted surface not having the checker pattern,  as way round this is to draw a 2D surface on the object face and use quick pull on that. - no idea if there is a proper explanation for this ##End edit##

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 11:39:50 AM by Andy H »

* October 29, 2015, 01:05:36 PM
I noticed the same thing, that once I do a quick pull on a surface it doesn't work again.

Something more basic seems to be broken in this new software.  I could not get 3D polyline to work to save my life.  Even though it showed a snap at the line end, the coordinates it came up with were whacked out.  And once I stood on my head and built work planes to draw my line segments, join polyline would sometimes snap everything to a flat work plane.

And now I'm trying to position a block using the inspector bar.  When I enter data in one field the others change and the part jumps across the page.  And sometimes it won't rotate or move in the selected direction.  It's like its getting 2D and 3D confused from time to time.

I should know better than to upgrade until at least 3 or 4 patches have been released.

* October 29, 2015, 01:29:32 PM
I noticed the same thing, that once I do a quick pull on a surface it doesn't work again.

yep, quick pull is quirky, like if one slices the part then adds it back together snaps then work with quick pull, I did post on the wish list for a fix, but, well, we will see.

Something more basic seems to be broken in this new software.  I could not get 3D polyline to work to save my life.  Even though it showed a snap at the line end, the coordinates it came up with were whacked out. 

I don't often use the snaps toolbar, so just tried it and, Wow, the vertex snap points were no where near their target, I almost always use Seke's and they function correctly.

Hopefully one of the Beta lads/lasses will read this and have an answer or see if it can be reproduced.

* October 30, 2015, 12:32:38 AM
RE - 3D polyline Snaps

Just had another play, if you have extended ortho snap selected try turning it off,

For me, if I turn off Extended Ortho the 3D polyline snaps correctly, but if I turn on Extended Ortho it snaps random vertexes of the 3D polyline to a point on the workplane perpendicular to the view, irrespective of whether use mouse pointer is selected or not, (Oh and it does the same in previous versions as well so I guess its a feature). 

* October 30, 2015, 05:22:00 AM
Turbocad just confirmed the quick pull thing is a bug.  They'll put it on their list for a future patch.

Thanks for the tip on the snaps.  When using 3D polyline, I'll be sure everything is off except virtex.

* October 30, 2015, 03:26:14 PM
Just upgraded to Pro Platinum 2015 (V22).  I used to be able to quick pull a surface, hover near the object I wanted it to snap to and the snaps would take it where I wanted.  Now I can't seem to get any snaps with the new and improved quick pull.  What am I missing?

Try this > I thought that this was "as designed"
> enable "create editing history (parttree)" located under options>ACIS
> after activating the quick pull tool right click and dis-able "always create solid'
This should work,it always does for me. If you are still having problems post your file.
What you might be experiencing is that you did not follow these steps from the start. The "always create solid" will wipe out the part tree > Try it next time
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:36:37 PM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* January 04, 2016, 09:43:30 AM
Having the same issue here as the original post (quick Pull not "pulling" or changing the surface to pull to a checkered face)

Is this still a bug?

* February 01, 2017, 07:14:39 AM
Just upgraded to 2016 Pro and this is still the behavior of quick pull.  The process Dean described seems to work ok but only on a new drawing.  If bringing in a file which was created in an earlier version (regardless of the method, i.e., copying to a new file, extracting, etc.), quick pull does not work properly.  Anyone have an update on this?

February 01, 2017, 09:25:51 PM

I noticed this in 2015.  It has been fixed in 2016, at least in my experience (just checked after reading the previous post by CRCAD).  I haven't gone back to check if a patch fixed it for 2015.

Jeff

System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* February 01, 2017, 11:18:56 PM

I noticed this in 2015.  It has been fixed in 2016, at least in my experience (just checked after reading the previous post by CRCAD).  I haven't gone back to check if a patch fixed it for 2015.

Jeff

For me, it's just as bad with the latest 2016 patch as previously, often pulls without the cross pattern which then makes snaps useless because they don't work without the pattern, (in my experience anyway).

* February 02, 2017, 05:38:03 AM

Jeff

For me, it's just as bad with the latest 2016 patch as previously, often pulls without the cross pattern which then makes snaps useless because they don't work without the pattern, (in my experience anyway).

Same here.  It seems that everything works fine on a newly created entity but once any Boolean operations on performed on that entity (add, subtract, slice and yes, quick pull), pulls no longer work properly.

* February 02, 2017, 07:36:27 AM
Same here.  It seems that everything works fine on a newly created entity but once any Boolean operations on performed on that entity (add, subtract, slice and yes, quick pull), pulls no longer work properly.
[/quote]

I don't experience that if I have used the quick pull tool with "always create solid" OFF
In 2105 when using the "quick pull tool" you need to be  ;D aware of "always create solid" because it's "on" by default when activating the quick pull tool. You can wipe out an entire "part tree" if you use the "quick pull tool" with "always create solid" active.
Do you have "show all entities of the drawing space" enabled in the Selection info palette.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:40:49 AM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21.Using Lightworks and Redsdk, Anilab lab 5. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* February 03, 2017, 07:23:39 AM

I don't experience that if I have used the quick pull tool with "always create solid" OFF
In 2105 when using the "quick pull tool" you need to be  ;D aware of "always create solid" because it's "on" by default when activating the quick pull tool. You can wipe out an entire "part tree" if you use the "quick pull tool" with "always create solid" active.
Do you have "show all entities of the drawing space" enabled in the Selection info palette.

The steps you describe only work on newly created entities.  If you are working on a previously created model that was done without the part tree turned on, this does not work. I am working on a model that I created in TC 20 in which virtually every entity in the drawing has had some form of Boolean modification performed on it (a LOT of quick pulls).  I did not use the part tree when creating this model and not doing so had no effect whatsoever on the behavior of quick pull in TC 20.  Now, when editing this model in TC 2016, quick pull does not work correctly on any of these entities unless no Boolean operations had been previously performed on them (i.e. if it is just a simple extrude).  Manually entering a delta dimension does work but pulling to a snap does not. 

What DOES work is the facet editor (at least for the most part, depending on what you are trying to do, i.e. perpendicular faces, etc.).  It is not as fast as a quick pull due to the multiple steps of zooming to grab the reference point or moving the reference point into the viewing frame but it does get the job done.  Interestingly, once the facet editor has been used on a previously modified entity, it is changed from an ACIS solid to a part and then the quick pull tool will work correctly on that entity.

Another annoyance with the new quick pull tool is that No Snap has to be activated to select a facet whereas this previously was not required (at least not in TC 20).  So if I want to pull a facet to a snap, snaps have to be turned off first then turned back on once the facet is selected.  Relatively minor, I know, but it's an extra step that was previously not necessary and when you are used to in not being that way, you get a lot of ding, ding, dings...

I can use the work arounds as I have described above but this is clearly buggy behavior especially considering there were never any problems until TC 2015.  If selecting the option to "always create solid" destroys the part tree and prevents quick pull from working, that's a problem.

So back to my original question, is there an update on the status of this?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:02:32 AM by CRCAD »

October 23, 2018, 06:21:25 PM
Hi guys

I'm working this time with the version 20 and I modify a 3D object, a slice for example, the Quick Pull tool doesn't want to work because TC20 have the bad habbit to get my object as Surface instead of keeping this one as a Solid. I have to put my object back to Solid with the properties dialog. After this manipulation it works fine

I hope it can help

Have a great day!

Jean

TC  Pro Platinum 2018
Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 2500u @ 2.0ghz
16 gigs RAM, Radeon Vega 8

Believe you can do something or not, in both cases you are right     Henry Ford

* October 23, 2018, 11:58:17 PM
Have you try'd to Preset it to Solid in Property before making an Object ??
Open a 3D tools Property and set it to Solid, you need to give it a thickness before the option is possible, when its done change back thickness to 0

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

October 24, 2018, 05:05:58 AM
I preset to Solid before starting a drawing but sometimes when I transform the object, a slice for example, TC20 put the state of the object as Surface. I don't know why ???

Thanks for the tip of the thickness, I'll try it

Jean

TC  Pro Platinum 2018
Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 2500u @ 2.0ghz
16 gigs RAM, Radeon Vega 8

Believe you can do something or not, in both cases you are right     Henry Ford

October 24, 2018, 12:31:28 PM
I preset to Solid before starting a drawing but sometimes when I transform the object, a slice for example, TC20 put the state of the object as Surface. I don't know why ???

Terminology varies a bit, but the Slice by Surface function needs an ACIS Solid that emulates a Surface (an actual TC Surface will not work).

Do a Simple Extrude on a Polyline to create a sheet which looks like a surface, but the result will be identified as an ACIS Solid (unless you have ACIS History turned on, in which case it will be identified as a Simple Extrude).

Jeff