TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Freaks3D Printer
Read 1820 times
October 03, 2015, 04:24:15 PM
A friend of mine just purchased a Freaks3D printer to muck around on with his kids (http://www.elecfreaks.com/estore/freaks3d-kit-668.html. I was wondering if anyone else has has anything to do with this printer and how's the easiest way to create a model in TC to print with it. It uses Gcode which I now nothing about although I did find it mentioned in the forum but couldn't find out much about it. Also, what additional software would you need (such as MeshLab etc).

TCPro2015 / TCPro18  / Windows 10 / Intel Core i7 5500 NVIDEA GeForce 930M

* October 03, 2015, 11:09:15 PM
I'm using TC to create 3D models which I save as STL files. I then use a slicer program that converts the STL into gcode that is used to drive the 3D printer.
Since I use an Ultimaker printer I use the slicer that is made by Ultimaker - its called Cura. There are various (free) slicer programs around - just do a search on slicer software. One of the most popular can be found at Slic3r.org
Note well. The STL model must be a solid - not a surface. I believe that the DeLuxe versions of TC can only create surface models, not solids.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* October 04, 2015, 12:08:53 AM
Also, what additional software would you need (such as MeshLab etc).

As well as MeshLab, I also used the Free version of NetFabb, these allow checking of the file exported by TC, which in the past did have the occasional tear or crack, which both these programs will attempt to repair, I haven't used Cura, the one I used was Slic3r.
One doesn't need to learn G-Code (I didn't), there are only a few commands that one may need to know.

The main consideration for me when drawing in TC is simply can it be printed or does it require additional support material for very thin or overhanging parts.

Gary - I'm jealous, Ultimaker does have a good reputation, mine is just a RepRap do it yourself kit (which is in bits at the moment).

* October 04, 2015, 12:57:27 AM
The main consideration for me when drawing in TC is simply can it be printed or does it require additional support material for very thin or overhanging parts.
I've never used Slic3r, but know its very popular. Cura has an option for automatically adding support material of different types (grid, lines, or zigzag). Can Slic3r do that, or do you have to create it yourself?

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* October 04, 2015, 01:31:30 AM
I've never used Slic3r, but know its very popular. Cura has an option for automatically adding support material of different types (grid, lines, or zigzag). Can Slic3r do that, or do you have to create it yourself?

The instructions say Slic3r will add support, but I've never tried that option so don't know how good it is, the only thing I did with overhang I just added support to the drawing, I see the printer Steve linked to uses Cura so good to know he can automatically add support.

October 05, 2015, 05:39:34 PM
Apparently I can just save as STL file and he can do the rest. Thanks for the feedback. Will keep you posted if manage to print something.

* October 07, 2015, 05:26:07 AM
Apparently I can just save as STL file and he can do the rest. Thanks for the feedback. Will keep you posted if manage to print something.
That's true.
TurboCAD doesn't (can't) do the slicing - its responsibility ends with producing the STL which you then pass to the slicing program. From that you get a .gcode file that the printer understands.   

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

October 14, 2015, 11:54:19 PM
Recent issue in relation to 3D printer or stl files. When I try and save a .twc file to a .stl file using Save As, it freezes TC and I have to close the program. When I restart it, I notice TC has saved two file types, an .stl file (cube icon) and an .stl.dwl file? (blank page with top right corner turned down icon). Could this be causing the freeze/crash issue? Do I need to delete the .stl ext from the file name prior to Save As?

On a brighter note, managed to print off a 3D model on the Freaks3D printer. Apart from some support structures I wasn't expecting it all snapped apart and seemed to work pretty well considering first test model.

* October 15, 2015, 02:50:38 AM
I notice TC has saved two file types, an .stl file (cube icon) and an .stl.dwl file? (blank page with top right corner turned down icon). Could this be causing the freeze/crash issue? Do I need to delete the .stl ext from the file name prior to Save As?

A dwl file (log) is created whenever there is an open drawing in TC whether it be an stl, tcw, dwg etc.  Normally TC deletes it automatically when the program closes, but these can be left behind if TC is close via task manager or crash, with TC closed the dwl can (and probably should) be deleted.

Does it freeze with every stl, can you do a simple file which causes the problem and post it here.

October 15, 2015, 03:43:39 PM
Seems to be saving stl files ok now. Have posted pic of first model printed on Freaks 3D printer.