TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Selecting objects
Read 2918 times
* December 10, 2009, 09:51:29 AM
I am learning to create as-built drawings for my company, which is a low voltage contractor.  As such, we are often sent drawings/floorplans that have been created by the architect or electrical engineer and they email a copy for us to mark up our work.  Recently I was sent a drawing (.dxf type) that when it is opened, and I try to select any one object, the whole drawing is selected.  I have unlocked layers, but to no avail.  Are there certain properties that might be treating the whole drawing as one object?

* December 10, 2009, 10:11:57 AM
Since you're able to select something it shouldn't have to do with layers.  It may be that the drawing might have to be exploded first.

As a word of advice though, anytime you open a file that's not native turbocad, you should save it as a .tcw before proceeding.  Will likely save you a headache down the road.

Cameron Blair

* December 10, 2009, 12:07:10 PM
I am learning to create as-built drawings for my company, which is a low voltage contractor.  As such, we are often sent drawings/floorplans that have been created by the architect or electrical engineer and they email a copy for us to mark up our work.  Recently I was sent a drawing (.dxf type) that when it is opened, and I try to select any one object, the whole drawing is selected.  I have unlocked layers, but to no avail.  Are there certain properties that might be treating the whole drawing as one object?

Open the Selection Info palette, select the drawing, what info shows in the pallete, Block or group perhaps.
You should be able to explode once to fix the problem.

d

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* December 10, 2009, 01:21:22 PM
Sounds like it is an XREF drawing.

* December 10, 2009, 01:32:37 PM
At the last job I worked, I had to use some DXF files from the electronic dude.

I had to explode the drawing, then I had to explode the individual items as well.  I think I used the explode routine 15 times!  The simple drawing was not so simple under the hood.  The file ended up quite large.

- John

* December 10, 2009, 02:02:25 PM
Be aware that run this risk of exploding to the point the that the physical drawing size drastically increases. 
If you have nested blocks or xrefs did you unlock the layers for those objects as well?  No version of TC will do this. 
Regarding X-refs we will be addressing this in the near future.

* December 16, 2009, 10:59:19 AM
Also if you keep exploding a particular drawing or object you may end up exploding down to the pixels in the individual lines which makes it hard to work with and you will need to "undo" until you get back objects you can work with. Try clicking on the objects after each explosion.

* December 21, 2009, 10:02:18 AM
I appreciate the feedback.  I have tried to follow some of the suggestions, but the problem that I see is as follows.  When I select any object in the drawing, every item on the drawing is highlighted.  If I open the Properties box, each item is shown on Layer 0.  Also, under the Format tab, explode is not an available option.  It is grayed out and not usable.  Perhaps I am not describing things correctly.  In my limited experience, I usually take a drawing, select objects one at a time that I don't want to show on my as-built and hide the layers.  Then I go through and label the symbols that pertain to my work.  For this drawing, I have no way of separating the unwanted symbols from the wanted symbols.  They are all linked together.

* December 21, 2009, 11:07:16 AM
As I suggested.... I think this is an Xref'ed drawing. Without access to the original... I doubt that you can explode it at all. Can you get back to the source for another, but original copy?

* December 23, 2009, 07:19:52 PM
As mentioned previously, select the "drawing" object and observe what the Selection Info palette reports the object as...