TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

graphics tablet with TC
Read 6179 times
* August 25, 2015, 03:31:51 PM
Hi,
I have TC Deluxe 2015 v.22.1.  Is it possible to use a graphics tablet as an input device when using the "sketch" option under Draw - Arcs - Sketch?  I don't have a graphics tablet or I would just try it, but I don't want to buy one if it won't work.
Thanks

* August 25, 2015, 04:23:35 PM
Whilst I can't guarantee it will work, most graphic tablets are just like a fancy mouse, so should work with deluxe, I know it works with 2015 pro and v16 deluxe as I tried it.

OK that's the disclaimer out of the way, - if you mean the normal sketch tool then my personal opinion is - don't bother, the sketch tool creates lots and lots of polyline segments and unless you have a really steady hand you will have loads of jaggies, also on the tablet I have its difficult to control when the sketch line starts and ends.

That said the newer autoshape is an improvement in that it can create arcs and bezier's, though not always in the shape one intended.

I would never advise anyone to get a graphics tablet just for use with TC's sketch tool, for a mainly drawing / paint program with some TC use then yes they can work and be fun, but graphic tablets take some getting used to so patience is needed.

* August 25, 2015, 05:06:25 PM
Thanks Andy!  Exactly the info I was looking for.  My goal is simply to translate my ideas that I can much more easily hand draw than create digitally.  I have a cnc router and, of course, need to create a digital version of my designs in order to realize the piece.  Perhaps I really should be using graphic design software?

* August 25, 2015, 05:28:44 PM
Thanks Andy!  Exactly the info I was looking for.  My goal is simply to translate my ideas that I can much more easily hand draw than create digitally.  I have a cnc router and, of course, need to create a digital version of my designs in order to realize the piece.  Perhaps I really should be using graphic design software?

What sort of designs do you create for your CNC?

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* August 25, 2015, 10:13:25 PM
A Wacom Intuos will work with TurboCAD. If you're not that experienced with something like this, stick with a mouse in TurboCAD.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* August 26, 2015, 04:49:30 AM
Hi Don,
The designs are abstract, organic (that are all, or part. of a furniture piece).  My problem is that although I'm always open to "happy accidents" and randomness, if I have something very specific in mind, I can hand draw it with relative ease, but getting what I want with a mouse in a CAD program is very difficult, usually impossible. 

* August 26, 2015, 04:53:09 AM
Hi John,
I'm open to learning and the learning curve involved if it will achieve my goal.  Why do you say I should stick with the mouse?  Thanks.

* August 26, 2015, 07:45:11 AM
Hi Don,
The designs are abstract, organic (that are all, or part. of a furniture piece).  My problem is that although I'm always open to "happy accidents" and randomness, if I have something very specific in mind, I can hand draw it with relative ease, but getting what I want with a mouse in a CAD program is very difficult, usually impossible.

Although organic, freeform 3D pieces are not what TCad does best, the program can handle them. But I strongly agree that its Sketch tool should be avoided. Use Splines or Beziers instead. (Sometimes I sketch a shape with pencil and paper, scan it, save the result as a .jpg, insert it into TCad, and trace it manually with lines, curves, and/or arcs.)

Henry H

* August 26, 2015, 10:15:28 AM
Hi John,
I'm open to learning and the learning curve involved, if it will achieve my goal.  Why do you say I should stick with the mouse?  Thanks.

I tried an Intuos for a while. While great in an Adobe or Corel graphics program (that can use all its features), I didn't find it all that great in TurboCAD (as it's nothing more than a mouse in a pen suit). I'm probably too mouse oriented at this stage of the game.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2018
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

* August 26, 2015, 01:48:51 PM
Thanks to everyone for your help.  Looks like I will need a program like illustrator or draw if I want to use a digitizing pen set up.  In the meantime I will try your idea, Henry, being certain to avoid the sketch tool. and Andy's suggestion about autoshape.  Thanks again!

* August 26, 2015, 02:06:51 PM
Thanks to everyone for your help.  Looks like I will need a program like illustrator or draw if I want to use a digitizing pen set up.  In the meantime I will try your idea, Henry, being certain to avoid the sketch tool. and Andy's suggestion about autoshape.  Thanks again!

Just an added thought, if you go with Henry's and Andy's suggestions and you end up with a shape you're not entirely satisfied with, use the edit tool to modify it to suit.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:54:19 PM by DonCW »

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10

* August 27, 2015, 11:47:07 AM
Don,
Well I did try Henry's suggestion (sketch + tracing) following with some editing and got a design I'm happy with - still much to learn though!  The design will have to be machined in multiple steps (different tools and areas) and I realize now, after the fact, that I should have been constructing the drawing in layers, which I did not do.  Is it possible to create layers ex post facto?  I can easily break down and define the areas, but I can't determine how to save them as layers.  Obviously I'm a total noob.  Any guidance or nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreaciated!
Thanks

* August 27, 2015, 02:01:30 PM
Don,
Well I did try Henry's suggestion (sketch + tracing) following with some editing and got a design I'm happy with - still much to learn though!  The design will have to be machined in multiple steps (different tools and areas) and I realize now, after the fact, that I should have been constructing the drawing in layers, which I did not do.  Is it possible to create layers ex post facto?  I can easily break down and define the areas, but I can't determine how to save them as layers.  Obviously I'm a total noob.  Any guidance or nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreaciated!
Thanks

If possible, post the design drawing you're happy with.

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10

* August 27, 2015, 02:36:00 PM
"Is it possible to create layers ex post facto?"

Easy. With the Design Director palette open, be sure that "Layer" is highlighted in the upper window. Then right-click anyplace in  the lower window and choose "New Layer" from the menu that appears. A new window will materialize, in which you can either accept the default name or overwrite it with a name of your own choosing. Click OK, and that window will go away and the new Layer name will appear in the Design Director. To assign one or more objects to a particular layer, select it/them and click (in the Design Director) the box beside the name of that layer, in the column headed by a checkmark.

Henry H

* August 28, 2015, 07:08:55 AM
Don and Henry,
Attached is image.  Wasn't sure what format to use so it's a jpg.  I realize that I never mentioned that this will be a 2D (actually 2 1/2D) part, not 3D, but all the advice you guys have given me has been applicable and very helpful).   It's in my CAM program now and needed some node editing, but otherwise seems to have worked quite well (thanks again Henry if you're reading this!).  It will take some time to create the toolpaths (the CAM program is new to me also), but hope to have a part in a few days.  Henry, thanks for the layering advice - have not tried it yet, but no doubt it will work!  Thanks!

* August 29, 2015, 06:16:10 AM
Don and Henry,
Attached is image.  Wasn't sure what format to use so it's a jpg.  I realize that I never mentioned that this will be a 2D (actually 2 1/2D) part, not 3D, but all the advice you guys have given me has been applicable and very helpful).   It's in my CAM program now and needed some node editing, but otherwise seems to have worked quite well (thanks again Henry if you're reading this!).  It will take some time to create the toolpaths (the CAM program is new to me also), but hope to have a part in a few days.  Henry, thanks for the layering advice - have not tried it yet, but no doubt it will work!  Thanks!

Is the attached sketch close to what you're trying to do?

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10

* August 29, 2015, 07:32:56 AM
You're welcome, remskm. Glad to help.

Henry H

* August 29, 2015, 07:43:52 AM
Hi Don,
Yes, similar.  I was able to successfully break out all the layers I needed to.  It will actually be machined as one piece (indexed so it can be done on both sides) so the shape of the layers for machining are not necessarily of the individual segments, but sometimes of combinations of the segments or parts of the segments and/or voids.  In running toolpath simulations, I'm realizing that realistically I do need to make some modifications to the design given the way the segments overlap.  Again, it's all new to me, so I'm learning.  You were very kind to have taken the time and effort to layer that out - I thought you were just curious as to what I was trying to do, not that you would actually layer it out.  Thank you!

* August 29, 2015, 04:59:49 PM
Hi Don,
to layer that out - I thought you were just curious as to what I was trying to do, not that you would actually layer it out.  Thank you!

You're welcome.

DonCW

2017 Platinum
Light Works Plug in
Windows 10