TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Anyone fancy doing a quick test
Read 2386 times
* August 09, 2015, 10:59:05 AM
Attached is a very simple v21 Animation file, can someone open it in v2015 with Lightworks and AnimationLab installed and see it the material changes scale (the brick scale should change from 0.1 to 0.01, the movements are just to ensure the screen refreshes.

I included a new material called Simple_brick_ALtest so you can easily find and delete the material afterwards,  you can turn off 'show frames as image files' so it just alters on screen - no need for a movie, Oh forgot to mention, animate in quality render mode.

Reason - The ChangeMaterial (shader values) on the Wiki only has Lightworks (v21) details, so I was going to put RedSdk info on it, however it doesn't work, I can't get the shader index to work with RedSdk but I don't know if its because of 2015 or RedSdk,  (RedSdk crashes my v21 so can't do a proper test in that).

If you fancy another test you could try changing the Scale u in RedSdk via AnimationLab, it doesn't work for me. 

Thanks
Andy
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:16:12 AM by Andy H »

* August 09, 2015, 11:33:13 AM
This what I got after running your scenario. It generated an AVI with 4 steps. When played, you never see anything because it's all over in a split second.

I slowed it down in Camtasia so you could see what happens.
https://youtu.be/NJVbmYug1Dg
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:43:03 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* August 09, 2015, 12:06:42 PM
Many thanks John.

V2015 with Lightworks looks fine, AnimLab just seems to be not keen on RedSdk shaders, wonder if I should I be surprised. 

* August 09, 2015, 01:41:06 PM
RedSDK does not have any real shaders similar to what LightWorks uses. Redway3D pulled a bait-n-switch a few years back promoting that they had all sorts of new shaders. That turned out to be just high resolution pictures. No way to specify sizes to certain features like you can in LightWorks. The fact that RedSDK is programmed backwards is the main reason that I avoid it. To make something larger, you have to input smaller and smaller numbers.

John R.

RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* August 09, 2015, 08:40:48 PM
Andy, see attached video
I used property\material and just changed the material, using Redsdk.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2016-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21(Best working version,IMHO) Using Lightworks for reliability/stability and testing redsdk, Anilab lab 5, Renditioner Pro V3. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* August 10, 2015, 02:48:22 AM
Hi Dean, 

My apologies if my little example confused things.

Yes the material command itself works ok, its the ChangeMaterial command, this command has a confusing name, it doesn't change the material itself but allows one to change certain parameters within the material shader, for example in Lightworks one can change the scale, diffuse factor, ambient.

One example would be if one had an object which was increasing in size, and needed the wrapping to increase at the same / similar rate whilst going slightly darker (diffuse factor), for example a leaf growing in a jar of water - well one wouldn't do that in TC but its good for an example.

Again sorry for the confusion.
Andy

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:15:35 AM by Andy H »

August 10, 2015, 05:13:25 AM
Hi Andy,

I did a quick test and have a feeling of deja vu!

Anyway, probably not of much use, but here goes. . . . this is what happened.

1.  Ran the scenario, the box moves and the material scales fine.
2.  Undid the animation and the box just moved further on the same direction with scale fixed at 0.01.
3.  Selected Redo and box moved back to first animated position.  Scale unchanged etc, etc.
4.  I can only return to the original file/object state by closing without saving and then reopening.

I can't try RedSDK, because it and TC don't work with my super-duper Nvidia Quadro Pro K2200 graphics card!

My apologies for taking up so much Forum real estate.  I'll zip them up or animate next time.

There's going to be a next time?  ???

Regards Tim
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 05:26:58 AM by Tim Stewart »

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Testing/using with Win 10 and various TurboCAD 64-bit versions.

* August 10, 2015, 09:43:31 AM
I added the RedSDK settings to your material, rendered in RedSDK Raytrace Fine, then ran the scenario. Nothing changed or moved in the video.

TurboCAD 2015 Pro

John R.

RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

* August 10, 2015, 10:41:01 AM
Thanks Tim and John.

I've put a note on the Wiki saying it doesn't work with Red at this moment in time, I've also sent an E-mail to support though not sure if they may be getting fed up of me as my last E-mail didn't get any reply.   :(

* August 15, 2015, 06:40:52 AM
Hi Andy,
Maybe I am not following you but you need to set a new material for each frame to achieve a "sort of" smooth transition in the animation displaying the material change. this can be done with redstuff and lightworks.
 Lightworks and Redstuff doesn't estimate a animated "sequence" by only setting a scale value at specific frames.

Windows 7 64 bit HP > on a stock HP laptop with 4gb-2.4 GHz.Turbocad 2016-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21(Best working version,IMHO) Using Lightworks for reliability/stability and testing redsdk, Anilab lab 5, Renditioner Pro V3. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100

* August 15, 2015, 12:55:32 PM
Hi Dean.

Leaving aside the material scale - this little animation is just one material (polished gold in Lightworks with added casting), the parameter of the casting scale is manipulated by AnimationLab so the material change is fully automatic, no need for multiple materials nor manual BMP's.

* August 17, 2015, 10:43:04 AM
Ok Andy,
Thanks for the other animation explaining more in detail the actions. You're using (StepNum) :P
Redsdk doesn't expose the scale parameters. Sounds like a good question for the developers. I think that John explained it best concerning the shaders. At least Lightworks works, eh.