TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Help on printing
Read 1392 times
* July 25, 2015, 10:14:08 AM
I am trying to print a ship's wheel and am concluding that it may not be possible.  I am using TurboCad21 with the 2nd gen. Cube printer.  A rendering from TC and a picture of the printed piece are attached.  The TC  file is also attached.

The spokes and wheel are solids of oak.  However, I get an error message about wood_flooring but I can't find any reference to that in the file.  (The file original was from an skp file.)

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.  I'm new to both 3D and printing.

Doug

* July 25, 2015, 11:05:54 AM
I am trying to print a ship's wheel and am concluding that it may not be possible.  I am using TurboCad21 with the 2nd gen. Cube printer.  A rendering from TC and a picture of the printed piece are attached.  The TC  file is also attached.

The spokes and wheel are solids of oak.  However, I get an error message about wood_flooring but I can't find any reference to that in the file.  (The file original was from an skp file.)

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.  I'm new to both 3D and printing.

Doug

The TC file didn't make it, Doug. Click on "(more attachments)" beneath the Attach window each time you want to attach an additional file.

Henry H

* July 25, 2015, 11:13:33 AM
HI and welcome,

As for the wood floor, I wouldn't have thought that would have come from the sketchup file, but then again I don't use SKP, it may not necessarily be an object It could be a single facet, for 3D printing it doesn't matter about what a materials are set so the warning can be ignored, if you could post the file I'm sure someone will take a look.

As for Printing, it may not turn out as expected if you are printing as a completed piece, the problem would be support material for the spokes to stop them sagging when printing, it can be done but my need some thought as to how it would be supported before final printing, some printers work differently and could do it no problem (but some of them use lasers),  personally if I was printing it, I'd slice it in two vertically, i.e. so each half has - half spokes, hub, rim, and glue the two halves together, but that's just my own opinion, maybe other would comment on how they would do it.

## Edit ## Henry posted while I was slowly typing :) # end edit #
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 11:28:55 AM by Andy H »

* July 26, 2015, 02:58:05 PM
I tried to upload a file a number of times with no success.  But printing in halves makes sense, so I'll try that.  Thank you for your help.

Doug