TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

VIEW PORT CUT PLANE
Read 2746 times
May 22, 2015, 04:39:15 PM
On someones advice I create a second floor by copying the first floor walls up in the z direction. Unfortunately this resulted in  the top and bottom of the walls and slabs being visible in my elevations. (Yes my VP properties is using a hidden line visual style)

My solution was to erase the second floor walls and just have continuous walls from top of slab to bottom of roof.

Unfortunately, this results in my second floor VP in paper space showing the first floor windows. Aaaaaaaaaah! I tried altering the wall cut plane height in the style manager but then it makes my first plan model space VP not show the window openings in the wall.

Is there a way to alter the cut plane from VP to VP or is there another way to draw first and second floor plans?

Turbocad 2015 Professional Premium
64 BIT WINDOWS 7

* May 22, 2015, 08:38:14 PM
Creating elevations from 3d building models especially when there is more then one storey is something that I think the developers could work on.

I do use separate layers for separate floors. In the viewport you can hide the layers you don't want to see.
Or if you want to see the whole building there is the issue of the line, between the 2 storeys or slabs that you can see.
 I usually just disguise the line by drawing a white line over it.
In the line pen properties, underneath where you choose the pen colour there is an option to convert the colour in accordance with the background. The default is "drawing" change that to "no".
Just remember when you are printing not to select the "black only option"
To get around this I have created a layer template that converts all the layers colours to black except the layer I use to hide unwanted things.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* May 23, 2015, 02:25:08 AM
I use "Layers Filter", all the layer that i normally use in each floor in 1 filter, then it's easy to turn of all the layers i dont need and only work with i e 1 story open,
I have 10 different layers in each filter that contains Interior wall, Exterior wall, Stairs,Doors, Windows, Railings ......  for each floor

And if you have something in a filter that you dont want to see or print at the moment, you can put that in a Category or Graphics and turn it of, you only need to remember to see that the "Overide Layers Visebility" is unchecked inside the viewport in P space and you have full control over what you want to print out.
There is a lot of options to get what you want to see/ print

Many people also use "Layers Set" , it's about what you like to use and find most easy to work with for you.

And when copy the walls up in Z direction you should remember to change this copy to a different layer so you get control on what is what in your drawing

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

May 25, 2015, 06:37:17 PM
I do use seperate layers and work planes for walls on different floors. I also edit the view port so that layers that I don't want to see are off.
So if I hide the slab layer (the floor) then my elevation will show a gap where the slab is not shown. If I put the slab inside of the walls then they will not be seen but you will see the lines from the top and bottom of the walls.

Turbocad 2015 Professional Premium
64 BIT WINDOWS 7

* May 25, 2015, 07:26:44 PM
I do use seperate layers and work planes for walls on different floors. I also edit the view port so that layers that I don't want to see are off.
So if I hide the slab layer (the floor) then my elevation will show a gap where the slab is not shown. If I put the slab inside of the walls then they will not be seen but you will see the lines from the top and bottom of the walls.

One thing you can do is make your model a little more true-to-real-world.  In this case, I am thinking-- putting some sort of "veneer' over the whole outside of the building.  In my case, where I live, that would typically be something simple, such as 1" thick stucco.

Time-consuming and tedious, I know.
It'd be different if you weren't doing Hidden Line Rendering.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* May 25, 2015, 09:00:58 PM
The veneer can be added on using the component wall tool. The only thing is then you see all the components in plan too.
For me the white line used as a coverup works the most efficiently.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* May 26, 2015, 12:02:17 AM
Then i undestand ( i think ), you are using standard wall (1 component ) that follow the same line when making wall/ slab
As Nikki said, if you use 3 componen wall the line will show in plan view, but there you can use a solid brush in black/ grey/... and do a draft render.
Next option is to make a polyline that follow the outerside of the building, offset that in i e. 1/2 inch and use the "Convert to slab" tool on the polyline and you cant see the slab in elevation, next wall stand on the top of last story, but then you will se the line for each story, to avoid that you can make the exterior wall go all the way up to the top so you only have 1 wall heigth.

Then in a section view i would explode the section and trim the line from the inside of the exterior wall thet is going tru the slab's
Change the printersetting, draw a white line is to mutch work  for me :)

As Alvin said, in real world the wall will be min. 2 or 3 component.
I use the baseline to set the wall/ slab after.
Make a closed polyline that follow the foundation, copy it up in different Z's for each level, convert to slab and the use the line for convert to a component wall that follow baseline.
Just remember that after convert to wall the line go away, so it's best to make the slab first.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* May 26, 2015, 12:41:38 AM
Yes  I explode sections and elevations sometimes too.
 but if I use the white line sytem and there are subsequently  a lot of changes, I don't have to redelete everything I don't want.
I just replace the section with the new section select it and shift back space to send it to the back.
But I am going to experiment with the solid brush method.

The slab tool in 2015 hasn't been fixed yet so if you use a polyline to create a slab remember to change it to the slab style and layer you want after creating it.

Torfinn if you use one wall from top to bottom we go back to the original question how do you separate the different windows and doors on different levels because if you freeze a layer with the windows on you still see the openings in the walls at each level.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:55:47 AM by nikkipollard »

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* May 26, 2015, 04:06:29 AM
Nikki seems to be the one that does this* day-in & day-out on a professional ("get paid for") level.

I definitely would defer to her experience and advice on this.  As Nikki is suggesting, for drawing that one does for a living, time expended and facilitation of possible/probable design changes are a large consideration.

------
*by "this", I am referring to architectural 3DModeling-to-2DWorkingPlans (hence, the necessity of Hidden Line, rather than Draft or Quality Renders).  Myself, for houses or similar buildings, I almost always skip the 3DModeling process; that is largely due to the low socio-economic community in which I live/work, and that none of my competition is offering it (thereby, the competitive pricing is lower than what I could justifiably and successfully charge for including 3DModeling)

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* May 26, 2015, 04:11:21 AM

Torfinn if you use one wall from top to bottom we go back to the original question how do you separate the different windows and doors on different levels because if you freeze a layer with the windows on you still see the openings in the walls at each level.

Yes thats correct Nikki, then you will need to change the Cut Plane Higth or something and you cant controll that easy the different story/ what should show or not.
In a HL i never care if there is a line that show the top wall between 1 and 2 story, between basement and 1 floor i want the line to show normally.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* May 26, 2015, 05:10:09 AM
Now that I am thinking about it, in the past I have used this workaround:

Using Leader-Notes, pointing to the "should be hidden" lines, stating "Ignore this Line".

Alvin Gregorio