TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Simple Howto on making a design printable
Read 3059 times
* May 21, 2015, 01:45:01 PM
Hi,

I would like to use TurboCad  to make .stl files to be printed on my Rostock Max V2 Delta.

I tried making a very simple test design, consisting of a 1 in cube, with a .75 in cube subtracted from it aligned at the top surface, giving a cubic "cup, with .125 in walls and a .25 in thick base. It looked good in Turbocad and the vews showed it to be a hollowed cude.

Unfortunately, when I exported it to /stl and sliced it with Slic3r, I got a two layer high object. I suspect I need to tell Turbocad that the walls of the cube are solids,

Can someone point me to a source of information that will help? I am new to 3D drwaing in TurboCad, but have done some 2D work.

Thanks!

May 26, 2015, 12:45:06 AM
In TurboCAD, click to select the object, then bring up the Properties popup menu (Ctrl-F is the simplest way).

Click on the 3D tab on the left side of the popup.

At the top, you will see "Solid, TC Surface and SMesh" (no 'SMesh' if your version of TurboCAD is too old, and maybe no 'Solid' if it is the Deluxe version instead of Professional or Platinum).

If you only have the Deluxe version, then everything that looks solid will actually be hollow because it only works with TurboCAD Surfaces.

Let us know what version you have and we can advise you on how to get what you need.

Jeff

TC Pro Platinum 2017, 2016 & 2015 (all with LightWorks) & V21
System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* May 27, 2015, 11:44:09 AM
Hi,

I am using Turbocad 20 Deluxe and considering buying Turbocad 2015 deluxe.

Is this usable for making 3D drawings that will be turned into STL files for 3D printing?

Thanks,

June 08, 2015, 01:08:57 PM
The STL filter was added to Deluxe in v21, so yes 2015 has it as well.

Thanks,
Dave Taylor
TurboCAD Product Manager

* June 09, 2015, 11:05:57 AM
Hi Dave,

I do see the export to STL and used that to cretae a file for use with my printer. However, when I slice the file to create GCode, the resulting object is not correct.

A prior post said that the Deluxe versions of TurboCad only produced "hollow" objects. Could this be the cause of my inability to create printable objects in TurboCad Deluxe?

I would really like to use your product but I need to understand the limitations as well. Do I need to purchase the "Professional" edition for $1500 to get the ability to create printable objects?

Thanks,

June 09, 2015, 11:34:18 AM
TurboCAD Deluxe uses the original 'Surface' technique for representing 3D objects.  Many versions ago, the ACIS Solid Modelling engine was added and sold in the Professional version of the software.

I have almost never used the Surfacing option, and never with 3D printing, but if you were to upload the file, someone here could convert it to a Solid and then Section it to see if that meets your needs.  This assumes, of course, that you were using the Section command properly in the first place (for instance, the sectioned object must be one distinct object, not a bunch of objects placed next to each other).

Jeff

System: i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz, ASRock X99 Extreme4, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Samsung NVMe SSD 950 (256GB), Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) SP1

* June 11, 2015, 09:45:47 AM
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for offering to help figure this out for me. From what I understand, yo are saying that Deluxe cannot create objects suitable for export to 3D printers, but the Pro version might work.

Here is a simple hollowed out cube that I drew in Turbocad 2015 and then exported to .STL.

Thanks, again!

June 11, 2015, 11:10:27 AM
Here is the object converted to Solid.  Let me know if that helps (but soon, because I am leaving on vacation Friday morning, Pacific time).

Jeff

June 11, 2015, 11:15:26 AM
This is mildly puzzling; I took your original Surface object, sliced it in half and exported it to STL where I viewed it with Meshlab.  The object looks pretty solid to me (although I did accept the prompt to Heal something).

I would suggest getting Meshlab (it is free) and using it to view and adjust your STL objects to see if it will meet your needs.

Jeff

* November 17, 2015, 05:55:43 AM
Jeff:  Please clarify.  I am using TurboCad Deluxe 21 with WINDOWS 7.

My version lacks the ACIS and cannot create solid 3D objects, so anything I create and export to a .stl file would be printed as a hollow shell.  Correct so far?

I can get Meshlab, open the .stl file, convert the shell to a solid object, manipulate it as necessary, and save it to a new .stl file which can then be used to print a solid object.

Is Meshlab the only additional application I will need?

Thanks - - -

* November 17, 2015, 06:06:14 AM
Ooops - I forgot:

3D*COFORM says that Meshlab is targeted for "3D Technical Experts".  Since I am barely a 3D novice, are there other apps that I should start with to accomplish the same thing?

* November 17, 2015, 08:16:26 AM
"My version lacks the ACIS and cannot create solid 3D objects, so anything I create and export to a .stl file would be printed as a hollow shell.  Correct so far?"

Unfortunately, no. TCad Deluxe creates 3D objects as "TC Surfaces," which are not hollow shells nor are they ACIS Solids. Saving in .STL format does not change this status. Don't know if such an object is 3D-printable and can't say whether Meshlab would help here.

Henry H

* November 17, 2015, 03:09:28 PM
Ooops - I forgot:

3D*COFORM says that Meshlab is targeted for "3D Technical Experts".  Since I am barely a 3D novice, are there other apps that I should start with to accomplish the same thing?

you don't need to use any of the 'technical' aspects of Meshlab, it fine for viewing and re-saving, another one is the free version of NetFab with these you can check the stl file, and there is a simple option to repair holes, stl's from TC are not always perfect as with any conversion filter.

That said, I just looked at the Rostock Max V2 Delta instruction manual, and you should be able to check the part in the matter control software that I assume came with your printer, before its actually printed,

* September 27, 2016, 02:06:46 PM
Hello - Sorry for re-opening this thread, but I just wanted to get a clarification on this topic.  I want to purchase a Rostock Max V2 Delta printer just as the initiator of this thread has and am currently using TC V21 Deluxe to generate 3D parts that I would like to print.  I am understanding that the deluxe versions do not produce solids.  From what I read further down is that it may be possible to open the TC V21 .STL file with Meshlab, convert it to a solid and then re-save it and then all is good.  Did I interpret that correctly?  If not, is there a way to convert the TC V21 .STL file to a solid that is printable?  Thanks!  Jeff

September 27, 2016, 02:21:38 PM
As I understand it, TurboCAD Deluxe is more than capable of doing what you want without having to post-process files to make them 'solid'.

When you create anything, you will have to export it as (most likely) STL for home 3D printers.  The slicing software that comes with the printer will take the STL files and prepare them for the printer.  Some of these slicer programs are automated, but most will allow you to orient the object as desired (say, if you want the layer striations from the printing process to be oriented in a particular direction).

MeshLab and other utilities have the ability to fill holes (gaps in a surface where some of the triangles do not share vertices or edges with another).

Oh, and MeshLab is designed for 'experts' because it is open source, with many programmers contributing functions and almost none of them providing any documentation, let alone examples.  If necessary, I tend to use the automated repair functions.

Jeff

* September 28, 2016, 07:11:21 AM
Jeff - Thank you for your reply.  That is encouraging.  When I get my printer (build it and test it), I will post back and let you know how it goes.  It would be great to hear from edtyler (thread initiator) to see how he came out since his situation is the same as mine...  Anyway, thanks again!  Jeff

* October 24, 2016, 11:15:38 AM
Hello again.  I have good news to report.  I have built my delta 3D printer and got it up and running.  I imported an STL file that I generated with TC21 and it works perfectly!  Using Repetier Host with Slicer software for control and generating g-code.  All good!  Jeff