TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

PDF converter
Read 2965 times
* December 12, 2009, 02:03:54 PM
How can I convert a PDF file into a format that I can use in TC for scale tracing. The drawing I have are dimensioned, but not to scale. Any suggestions.

Thanks Don.

December 12, 2009, 02:10:31 PM
Hi Don,

You should be able to open your PDF in Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop and then save it as an image format which you can insert and scale in TurboCAD.

If you don't have either of those image editors you can email me the PDF and I will convert it for you.

* December 12, 2009, 02:14:01 PM
In Adobe Reader 9, you can go to "Edit / Copy File to Clipboard".
Paste into TurboCAD.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* December 12, 2009, 02:43:27 PM
Hi Don,

You should be able to open your PDF in Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop and then save it as an image format which you can insert and scale in TurboCAD.

If you don't have either of those image editors you can email me the PDF and I will convert it for you.

Thanks Don,

I opened in PSP 10, but I couldn't read any text or dimensions.  I'll try a few more options, if I don't have any luck I take you up on your offer.

Edit** John R., I got results using Adobe Reader 9..

Don.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 02:58:02 PM by Don C Wensrich »

* December 12, 2009, 04:15:04 PM
Good to hear that you got results.  :)

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* December 12, 2009, 06:39:57 PM
Good to hear that you got results.  :)

OOPS!! I meant to reply that I got the same POOR results trying to save from Adobe as I did with PSP 10.  Even my ability to compose a simple sentence is becoming suspect.   :D

don

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 06:45:50 PM by Don C Wensrich »

December 12, 2009, 07:38:19 PM
I've used the free omniformat software from the pdf995 folks (www.software995.com) to extract image files from PDF's.  I think when you convert pdf to image file you can only save in 300 dpi, if I remember correctly.

You place a copy of a PDF file in a specified "watch" folder, then the program converts all the pages to image files, so you'd have to delete the ones you don't need.  I say "a copy" because Omniformat automatically deletes the file in the conversion process, so keep a copy of the file separate.

Hope this helps.

Josh T.
meatballrocketry.com
TC Pro 18.2 & Platinum 2016

* December 12, 2009, 08:04:16 PM
I've used the free omniformat software from the pdf995 folks (www.software995.com) to extract image files from PDF's.  I think when you convert pdf to image file you can only save in 300 dpi, if I remember correctly.

You place a copy of a PDF file in a specified "watch" folder, then the program converts all the pages to image files, so you'd have to delete the ones you don't need.  I say "a copy" because Omniformat automatically deletes the file in the conversion process, so keep a copy of the file separate.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Josh,

I'll try it out.

don

December 12, 2009, 09:08:49 PM
Good to hear that you got results.  :)

OOPS!! I meant to reply that I got the same POOR results trying to save from Adobe as I did with PSP 10.  Even my ability to compose a simple sentence is becoming suspect.   :D

don

Copy to Clipboard from Acrobat gives very poor results -- it appears that worse than screen resolution is used.  If you OPEN the .pdf file in Photoshop, you get MUCH better results, and can then save it as a jpeg image for use in TC.

Thom