TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

pocket milling a simple inlay
Read 4141 times
* April 30, 2015, 08:35:49 AM
I have a Ah ah control with a grizzly mill. I have TC 18 With cam and I have tried to cut a simple inlay for cue stick. I have not been able to get the inlay to light up, or any code. I have created a box around the inlay .  I have used the rectangle closed inside a rectangle closed.  A polyline inside a polyline.
Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 11:12:48 AM by howardproductions »

* May 04, 2015, 06:25:47 AM
Bill

ah ah control ? at first.With little research.And this what I found at the following links.Keep in mind TCC is 2-1/2D.I can assure the cad cam-plug works.Maybe not just not by the approach your using.It may not be compatible in every state with the controller you have fully.If you used the rectangle tool see if this will work explode the rectangle one time and than use the join tool to make it poly-line again.and redo the process

http://www.controlretrofit.com/technical/ahha.html

http://www.matronics.com/cnc/gear.htm

w.d.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

May 04, 2015, 06:38:52 AM
I know it took me a while before I had a really good working post processor for Mach3. With that said, you will be needing a 4th axis capable software to cut inlays in your cue. Unless you have a manual indexer to rotate the butt into position, the there would only be 2D tool paths to cut. TCC will not write code for a 4axis setup. BTW, I will be setting up a friends lathe for this very process, but I am not sure about the controller on his machine yet.

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

May 07, 2015, 12:08:37 PM
Can you upload the file so I can look at it?

TurboCAD user since v3

* May 17, 2015, 10:24:32 AM
Kenneth.
tried to upload the file.
Thanks
Bill Howard

* May 19, 2015, 06:27:01 AM

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

May 19, 2015, 06:36:42 AM
After looking at your file in v21, there seems to be no issues at all. I do not have v18 loaded any more. My question to you is this. The drawing you uploaded, is it supposed to represent the "ivory" inlay, or the pocket which the inlay will sit in the cue?

If it is the inlay, you would cut it out of your stock using "Path milling, if it is in the but it would be a pocket. Now they have to be different sizes, so the inlay, with the glue, will fit into the pocket.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 06:39:48 AM by Kenneth Martin »

TurboCAD user since v3

* May 19, 2015, 07:33:55 AM
Ken

There is no real specifics in his issue of descriptions just its inlay.Going by his sample tcw.file I made for both pocket and path but its not done with the path tool rather chain tool. Where as too enter in the slot and in the pocket so it won't run out of the cutting area into the stock area after completion of the cycle and retraction of the tool it sends back to the tool magazine which I didn't write in the code. I figure you guys are doing manual tool change . If watch the video it shows that there is no entry outside of the cut path area.If it was so it would leave a tool entry and exit trial of the cut.I would think its an inlay to load they inlay material in it slot and in the pocket.

If he wants and makes the path tool work I suppose it could work but chaining work more effectively.Load the code and try on scrap plastic laying around in your shop see if pans out.Let me know of any discrepancy and Ill come up with new game plan. Have you tried the TCC in ver.22 yet or is still work in process? Whats the skinny on it ?. By the way his file of the stock not allowing to work is my opinion.So I scrap it. I allow TCC to use its material which in magenta color rather than is black. Use the same dimensions of the block an location of cut paths. 

I made this demo to back track a little to see if I could pin point the issue I suspect its the black material block could be the root of the problem.Also if you do run my file turn speeds and feed down. I didn't set them. Maybe want to run block by block instead running program on automatic. Remember I'm  not on a CNC Router but CNC machining center. :)

w.d.

May 19, 2015, 12:29:57 PM
I don't do manual any more. My co-worker & I installed a new spindle recently on our router, for Automatic Tool Change. We have 16 tools loaded at all times. :-) CAM is not available yet for the latest version. I am hoping the powers that be have included my Mach3 Post Processor to the plug-in. It has been downloaded 50 times or more.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:32:06 PM by Kenneth Martin »

TurboCAD user since v3

* May 20, 2015, 07:02:15 AM
Ken

I didn't mention it in earlier post but I converted to dwg. so I can load it TCC v11.2.When this happen it turn some of the lights off and made it to black material block.You mention in that the processor has been down loaded can you post the link?

w.d.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5XZtCJ5v08&feature=youtu.be

* May 20, 2015, 10:15:10 AM
re: …You mention in that the processor has been down loaded, can you post the link?

I believe it's in the new "sticky" topic at the top of this board;  Post processor for Mach3.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015, 2016, 2017
Designer, Deluxe, Expert, Basic, Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10, 64-bit

May 21, 2015, 04:39:52 AM
re: …You mention in that the processor has been down loaded, can you post the link?

I believe it's in the new "sticky" topic at the top of this board;  Post processor for Mach3.

I had not noticed the "sticky" Good Deal. Hopefully it will be included in the next release of the CAM plug-in.

TurboCAD user since v3

* May 21, 2015, 06:50:17 AM
Thanks guys found it.Ill see if work at my end. ;)

May 21, 2015, 06:58:17 AM
I have asked for more access to the commands in the post editor, along with the ability to edit code directly in the CAM palette window. I hope these get added to the next release.

TurboCAD user since v3

* May 21, 2015, 09:41:08 AM
dont know why it started and dont know why it stopped.
Thanks for your help, I am reading all the comments
Thank
Bill

May 21, 2015, 10:34:07 AM
? What is happening?

TurboCAD user since v3

May 21, 2015, 10:55:43 AM
It looks like you work piece is too small

TurboCAD user since v3